cultivator, disk, or spike harrow

/ cultivator, disk, or spike harrow #51  
I really think Skerby is driving with his turn signal on. Either no idea or just trying to irate others.

Where did I real it a while back about wrestling with a pig, don't do it. Wish I could remember the reason given.

You get muddy and the pig has all the fun!

/ cultivator, disk, or spike harrow #52  
That sounds as reasonable as anything else. As mentioned, I know nothing about clover, but you might want to pull the homemade harrow around after you've seeded too.

I'm not even sure a drill can handle clover seeds? Anyone know?

The main portion of a conventional grain drill doesn't meter sees as small as clover or alfalfa very well. That is why many drills have a small seed attachment a part of the package.

/ cultivator, disk, or spike harrow #53  
The main portion of a conventional grain drill doesn't meter sees as small as clover or alfalfa very well. That is why many drills have a small seed attachment a part of the package.

The JD Drill is great for oats, wheat, and bigger seeds ... when attatched with the seeder it is then great for alfalfa, bermuda, clover all the small stuff, some of them even have the fertilizer attatchment.

/ cultivator, disk, or spike harrow #54  
discs aren't for overseeding. not the first, second, or third option in anyone's book. sorry. don't make this guy wasted his money on seed and follow your ill advice.

/ cultivator, disk, or spike harrow #55  
Since I'm a pretty renowned pig rassler, let's look at this a bit.

discs aren't for overseeding.

First, no one here has ever said a disk was designed for overseeding. So you can let that go now.

not the first, second, or third option in anyone's book.

Second, the OP did not ask for a list of options. He mentioned three tools and asked which one would serve him best. So let's not confuse things by suggesting that any of the members here who are far more knowledgeable than me have argued that any of the 3 tools mentioned are designed for or are perfect for the task mentioned.

Third, as far as 'anyone's book" you are simply mistaken. Very smart and very experienced people have already explained to you how they and others have used a disk in this sort of application.

You asked for sources, and you were given them. You ignored them.

You should be. You're making claims that you can't support with any evidence or experience.

don't make this guy wasted his money on seed and follow your ill advice.

We are not going to "make" him do anything. We have given him advice. We have supported it with data, sources and a wealth of experience (not mine). He can make his own decision, and wisely, he seems to be ignoring yours. There is a chance your advice might have some validity, but so far you have done nothing to support it. And why would he follow it? He doesn't know you and you don't seem to know what your're talking about and your avatar is a picture of a communist guerilla. What about you, that we know, makes your pronouncements worth anything?

/ cultivator, disk, or spike harrow #56  
discs aren't for overseeding. not the first, second, or third option in anyone's book. sorry. don't make this guy wasted his money on seed and follow your ill advice.

No one said a disc was for overseeding. You're the first one to mention that. Shows me your reading comprehension skills are equally as poor as your knowledge of turf growing practices. Maybe even worse. Tough call there.

Obviously you have no knowledge of what you speak.

I have PLENTY of time to point out the errors of your ways.

NO ONE is "making" anyone do anything. SOME of us are using YEARS of actual experience, well respected University studies, and common knowledge to present ALL the viable options based on ALL the possibilities. YOU are simply stating "I know it all. My way is the ONLY way. and I'm ALWAYS right. No matter what the conditions, do it the same way every time." ........ All based on ONE project on a few acres and with relatively little background in the subject Now....Who would a prudent individual tend to listen to?

There's a right way and a wrong way to get people to listen to your opinion. Looks like you've already explored all the WRONG WAY options.

Last edited:
   / cultivator, disk, or spike harrow #57  
Sedmond:

Your plan will work. You have recieved a lot of good advise. Even if you had no equipment and only a hand seeder you could "frost seed" the clover and get it to germinate. Your germination percentage would be lower than if seeded into ground that had been worked or prepared by herbicide application to kill existing vegitation, plowing, discing and cultipacking.

As for you question regarding whether grain drills will seed clover, in order to do so you need a drill with a small seed box. The NO-TILL grain drills that are equipped with a small seed box do a good job seeding clover in our area (south eastern Ohio).

As for Skerby, others have addressed his comments. Anything further would risk a 10 yard penalty for piling on or be considered akin to beating a baby seal with a club.

/ cultivator, disk, or spike harrow #58  

You are right!! I agree!! That's a great book! I'm not sick!! I have a good vice!

Still use a disk, straight gangs, good for many other things to.

/ cultivator, disk, or spike harrow #59  
yea you poo-stabbers are right! all the golf courses are buying discs to overseed their greens!!! hahaha a lot of useful discs out there on the golf courses... keep on hatin'!

/ cultivator, disk, or spike harrow #60  
yea you poo-stabbers are right! all the golf courses are buying discs to overseed their greens!!! hahaha a lot of useful discs out there on the golf courses... keep on hatin'!

You forgot to mention athletic fields also.