Culvert Redux

/ Culvert Redux #1  

Harv

Elite Member
California - S.F. East Bay & Sierra foothills
Tractor
Kubota L2500DT Standard Transmission
Things have finally dried out enough to get some actual tractorin' done. I suppose the last couple of weeks of temperatures in the 80's, 90's and 100's has helped. /w3tcompact/icons/crazy.gif

I was able to get past the muddy stretch for the first time since winter, and that gave me my first opportunity to work on the caved-in culvert where the fill had washed away. I had a load of limestone crush delivered and waiting for me, so I was able to get right to it (after mowing my way to the culvert). /w3tcompact/icons/tongue.gif

Now, I only treated the symptom, not the cause. Just like the chicken, I needed to get to the other side, so I repaired the culvert itself, and I'm counting on you to remind me to fix the culvert face so it never washes out again. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

I thought I'd have to dig it out all by hand so's I wouldn't damage the pipes, but it turns out the layer of dirt crust left on top peeled back rather nicely when I put the bucket in full dump position and dragged backwards (see attachment). Still had to do a lot of finish digging by hand, a pleasure only enhanced by the swarm of black ants I uncovered. Had to stand knee deep in them to get it done. Never thought of myself as much of a dancer, but you should've seen my moves this time. /w3tcompact/icons/crazy.gif

Mostly went quite smoothly, and the culvert is back in service. The attached pictures were for my personal scrapbook, but thought I'd share with y'all in case there's anything to learn (for you or for me). /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

HarvSig.gif

Attachments

• 33-47456-CulvertRedux.jpg
    33-47456-CulvertRedux.jpg
    189.5 KB · Views: 164
   / Culvert Redux #3  
Harv you have it looking good again. Looks like the next rain season will tell the story. We will keep our fingers crossed.

Wonder if it will hold up if you forget to fix the inlet?

Gordon

8-41268-jgforestrytractor.jpg

/ Culvert Redux #4  
Looking good Harv, I know you have been wanting to get to that project for awhile. Now that you can get to the back of the property and you have the bushhog up and running I'm seeing visions of golf course./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

MarkV

/ Culvert Redux
<font color=blue>don't forget to fix the culvert face so it never washes out again</font color=blue>

Thanks for the reminder, Pete and Gordon! I'll get right on it! /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

Mark -
I dunno about the golf course, but I already started attacking the much overgrown fire road back there. I'm just learning what that brush hog can do, and so far I'm very impressed. Still don't like it when a rock sneaks in there, though. Scares the crap out of me every time. /w3tcompact/icons/tongue.gif

HarvSig.gif

/ Culvert Redux #8  
Harv,
I'd put a load of 3-4" rock over that and you shouldn't blow out at all. That's what I do with mine and when it rains they are usually underwater and come out no worse for wear.

18-35034-TRACTO~1.GIF

/ Culvert Redux #9  
Harv,

Yes, rotary cutters can scare you sometimes. One time my wife put her jean jacket in the loader bucket. I guess all the bouncing around made it fall out and into the rotary cutter. I'll tell you, I think I know what a shark attack looks like! Shredded and ripped to pieces. I jokingly told my wife to wear it around town. Would have brought a few glances!

Peter

/ Culvert Redux #10  
Harv, those rotary cutters can really do a job, to include shaving the top off of buried rocks! My experience there was with old 8N that I had running an old brush hog. I hit a rock and flung a chunk off the rock over a hundred feet with a perfect strike on one of the office door lights in the campground we used to have. My wife was just behind the wall (at the desk/counter) where the light was mounted, from her stance when she came to the door, it was a good two hours before I came anywhere close to that office! Only time I ever had that experience, but enough to make me doubly aware of the potential disaster awaiting. Never used it when the campground was occupied after that...used one of the riders...and even at that, very carefully keeping the discharge chute pointed away from occupied areas.