Culvert Redux

/ Culvert Redux
Richard -

Thanks for the input, but I'm not sure how putting rock on top would prevent what happened to this culvert. Just for a re-cap -- although I faced off the upstream end of the pipes with large rocks, I inadvertently left a small gap where the incoming stream could sneak in between the pipes, thus washing away the fill. Most of the surface dirt was left intact, but underneath was nothing but air. A hollow shell of compacted earth.

It seems like the obvious solution is to eliminate that gap, using one or more of the suggestions already posted on this forum. The idea is to funnel all of the water into the pipes, not around or between them.

If the whole thing got submerged (and I saw no evidence of that happening), I could see where your idea might save the day. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

HarvSig.gif

/ Culvert Redux
Scruffy -

Thanks for confirming my worst fears! /w3tcompact/icons/crazy.gif

I know that sooner of later I'm going to throw a rock with my cutter, and I can only hope it doesn't wind up killing somebody I didn't know was near. I added the chain guards before I ever used the thing, and I'm sure they will help, but they're not foolproof themselves.

And, like Peter says, it's also just a matter of time before I drop something out of the bucket or from the seat, only to wonder what that funny noise is. /w3tcompact/icons/tongue.gif My main concern there is that I'd hate for it to be my Chalkley Cup. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

HarvSig.gif

/ Culvert Redux #13  
I had a really nice pair of work gloves my wife purchased for me earlier this year. First time I was out bush-hogging I had them stuffed in the grab handle on the left fender of the tractor. Done that lots of times before. I'm not sure how they fell off, but when the bush hog went over them it sounded pretty darned interesting. I felt pretty stupid, and really felt kind of bad because my wife knew I really wanted these gloves and made a special trip to town to get them for me when I ripped my old pair removing some barbed wire fence. Later that afternoon I snuck into town and got another pair. She'll never know unless you guys tell her.

Bob Pence
18-33782-bobsig.gif

/ Culvert Redux #14  
Harv,
I'll try and get some pics of how I did mine so we're on the same page here.

18-35034-TRACTO~1.GIF

/ Culvert Redux #15  
Harv, didn't mean to sound so down on the brush hog incident, but did want to make the point that they can be dangerous...although it is more on the rare side of things...oh! By the way, don't forget to fix the inlet on your culvert rebuild! /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif
P.S. - You definately have the right idea about being aware of people in the vicinity viewing your work. Trouble with the rotary cutters, is you cannot predict what direction something is going to fly in! At least from my experience with them. Your addition of the chain guards is a major upgrade from my old setup.

/ Culvert Redux
<font color=blue>didn't mean to sound so down on the brush hog incident</font color=blue>

Didn't take it that way, Scruff!

I appreciate any cautions or stories that remind me of how dangerous tractors and implements are. I tend to worry about the what-ifs more than some, but I believe that has kept me out of trouble more than once. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

Oh -- and thanks for the reminder. I'll get to that inlet real soon now. /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

HarvSig.gif

/ Culvert Redux #17  
low branch + cutter following = tough on cowboy hat (more than once) i a slow lerner
mike

Attachments

• 33-48368-airhat.jpg
    33-48368-airhat.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 109
   / Culvert Redux #18  
Harv,
One time while cutting a field with my old Oliver I put a log about 2ft.X 5" under the tractor and out the front for about 50 Ft. Heard the mower hit and saw the log come flying out the front under the loader bucket. Funny thing is, it didn't start to rise untill it cleared the tractor. That mower didn't have the chains on it, but I don't know it they would have helped or not.

18-30445-von.gif

/ Culvert Redux
<font color=blue>didn't have the chains on it, but I don't know it they would have helped</font color=blue>

I dunno either, Von. The chains look like they mean business, but they're certainly not foolproof. I'm just hoping they improve the odds. /w3tcompact/icons/crazy.gif

And Mike --
Please tell me you weren't wearing that thing when it got, uh... modified! /w3tcompact/icons/crazy.gif

Great picture!! /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Out here in California, that hat could start a new fashion trend. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

HarvSig.gif

/ Culvert Redux #20  
safeopp2.gif

Harv,
Did you pose for this picture?... I swear it looks like you.../w3tcompact/icons/cool.gif

18-48044-JFM3BW5205SigFile.JPG