Cummins 5.9L diesel and the killer dowel pin (KDP)

/ Cummins 5.9L diesel and the killer dowel pin (KDP) #51  
Industrial engines have a different case design. This is an issue for the on road 5.9's only.

/ Cummins 5.9L diesel and the killer dowel pin (KDP) #52  
Perhaps the on-highway version used by Dodge, is slightly different to the OEM industrial engine we got ? Or do the extra revs shake those dowels out... ??

I don't know, but I did have my KDP tabbed when I had the head O ringed and larger head studs installed to handle the twins. The tech told me that my dowel pin was out about 1/8". For the heck of it, he tried to move it. He said there was no way to pull it out and it took over 200 light taps with a small hammer (as to not flatten it out) to drive it back in before tabbing it. In his professional estimation, it would have never been an issue. Still, while I was spending some big dollars with the shop, they tabbed it for me for no additional charge (note: I didn't say "free", just no additional charge :D)

Clearly it can happen. I don't think the stories on the internet couldn't be out there if it didn't happen to someone. That makes it something to watch for. However, I'm yet to find a shop that has ever seen one do the dirty. A good friend of mine is the service manager at one of the 5 largest Dodge dealerships in the country. Obviously they have sold thousands of theses trucks. He's never seen it happen, but he too has read about it. He said he wouldn't waste his time or money fixing something that is so unlikely to break. When I told him that it was offered to be done for me at no additional cost, he agreed that he'd go ahead and have it done then.

Not sure I answered any question on it, but rather just gave a perspective based on a lot of experienced techs. If the thought bothers you, I'd have it tabbed. Otherwise, I wouldn't worry about it. Again, that doesn't mean it's impossible for it to happen, just highly unlikely. Any part on any engine can fail.

/ Cummins 5.9L diesel and the killer dowel pin (KDP) #53  
Industrial engines have a different case design. This is an issue for the on road 5.9's only.
I found something when searching through the construction files of our old models:

The standard timing case is used for engines with a short and lightweight rotary fuel pump.
The inline Bosch used on industrial applications, was longer, and had a heavier governor because of the different throttle reaction and governing regime required for industrial engines. To carry this vibrating offset weight, a heavy duty timing case was standard on off-highway versions.
Therefor it makes sense that this problem is not known by the offroad OEM customers..

/ Cummins 5.9L diesel and the killer dowel pin (KDP) #54  
Perhaps the on-highway version used by Dodge, is slightly different to the OEM industrial engine we got ? Or do the extra revs shake those dowels out... ??
Might also be all the jarring they get at highway speed.

/ Cummins 5.9L diesel and the killer dowel pin (KDP) #55  
mine's been rattling away for 17 years... i guess if it ever comes out i'll know about it. ;)