Cummins 5.9L diesel and the killer dowel pin (KDP)

/ Cummins 5.9L diesel and the killer dowel pin (KDP) #32  
Ironically, a month later that light started flickering under hard acceleration.

So I replace my stock LP with a Fass DDRP 02

/ Cummins 5.9L diesel and the killer dowel pin (KDP)
I put this 5 psi-led warning light kit In mine.

BD FUEL PRESSURE WARNING LIGHT

Thanks for the info. Looks like a good idea. I put a large 1" diameter bright green LED on the dashboard of my 1964 MF-135 diesel and connected it to the oil pressure switch. It shows green when pressure is above 7 psi or so. I find that I notice that idiot light right away when it's not glowing.

/ Cummins 5.9L diesel and the killer dowel pin (KDP) #34  
The lift pump went out on my '01 Dodge. I did not know till I changed my fuel filter. As soon as I introduced air to the system when I removed the filter holder, it would not reprime. The main injection pump will pull fuel from the tank, for a while.

I do not know how to check the main pump. I have put 6000 miles on the truck since Ireplaced the lift pump. It has ran good. That included 4400 miles towing the 5th wheel to/from Texas.

My plan is to put gauges on the windshield support. Fuel, pyro, ant tranny temp to start.

I like the idea of an idiot light. But, still want a gauge. Guess you could tee it so you could have both?

/ Cummins 5.9L diesel and the killer dowel pin (KDP) #35  
At work, we have a couple of 100 of these engines in for service and warranty, from 1996 to 2004. the KDP certainly isnt a common failure, or i would have heard about it in the year i work at the payloader factory.

At work, we have a couple of 100 of these engines in for service and warranty, from 1996 to 2004. the KDP certainly isnt a common failure, or i would have heard about it in the year i work at the payloader factory.

Your experience suggests that less that 1 in 200 (0.5%) 5.9L engines have the KDP problem. I suspect that the rate of occurrance is less than that, but I haven't been able to find any solid KDP statistics on the Web.

/ Cummins 5.9L diesel and the killer dowel pin (KDP) #37  
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Last edited:
   / Cummins 5.9L diesel and the killer dowel pin (KDP) #38  
For me the argument wasn't about how likely it was to happen. Is it easier to prevent it, or fix the damage if you lose the gamble? Much easier/cheaper to prevent it.

/ Cummins 5.9L diesel and the killer dowel pin (KDP) #39  
I haven't fixed mine yet. The truck's got 138K. I probably will, I need a new crank seal anyway, it dribbles a little.

M.D.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Sorry to hear that the KDP got you.
I figure with my luck I'd be next.

Hope the damage was not too severe.