Cummins fined $1.675 Billion for gaming their diesel emissions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Cummins fined $1.675 Billion for gaming their diesel emissions. #211  
One of my very senior friends says America has had a very good run but nothing lasts forever…

I don’t know as Instill think many look forward to the golden years… time will tell.
He’s right.
It’s been a good run, but I’m afraid we may have been corrupted into oblivion. It’s going to be very difficult to find patriotic people to fight wars and die for this country in the near future.
Many of the people who love this country find themselves being ridiculed for loving a country that’s been portrayed endlessly as “racist” or “evil” or “deplorable” by the liberal news media.
The very people they call these names are the same people they need to fight in wars. You see very few Ivy league grads calling for “equity” in a trench with an M-14.

Corruption and dishonesty is now pretty much assumed to be part of the political base in this country.

I really hope I’m wrong, but the signs around us are not good. Statues are being removed for the war dead-even in the civil war-a war fought by a lot of white people to end slavery, yet still 150 years later we are still called “racists”.

Maybe we have another chance to be taught and allowed, without ridicule, to love our country again? To take the good with the bad and accept that we can learn from our mistakes and NO country was ever perfect.
It would be a lot of work. Evil has settled around this country like dense fog. Cities like war zones. Education system unable to educate our future. People no longer want to work with their hands.
I hope we can get this fixed.

Last edited:
   / Cummins fined $1.675 Billion for gaming their diesel emissions. #213  
Four in the morning and I now I cannot get back to sleep. Guess that I should not have had those two cups of coffee with dinner?

Reading all of these postings has gotten me thinking. When I-78 opened across the Lehigh Valley in PA, drivers got a wiff of the coke oven stench that the people of Hellertown had endured for years from Bethlehem Steel. Quite the legacy, big steel had employed some 33,000 or so during it's peak years. They made the barrels for battleships. The steel for the empire state building. While many things contributed to the end, one of the more ironic things was the shutdown of their some 500 people design and engineering department. They had handed the Port Authority the blueprints for the World Trade Center. The Port Authority then gave them the middle finger and bought the steel elsewhere.

My personal experience with big steel was hauling beams and Waylite out of Bethlehem and flat stock and coils from Sparrows Point, MD. I did one time look at a job at a plant that made ductile iron pipe. The hiring manager took me for a tour. Picture being in hell with Satan as your manager, No thanks.

Late seventies, after three winters of running the snow belt on my way from New Jersey to just west of Ottawa, I decided to go to school for electronics technology. Got hired into high tech chip manufacturing. I get a charge when I hear Joe going on about high tech high paid union jobs. We used some 1,400 chemicals and compounds and processes, many of which would kill you on contact over slowly over time. I won't even get started on the union aspect.

Like big steel, many things contributed to the loss of those jobs, some 6,500 at my campus plus two other close by locations bringing peak numbers to around 10k. One thing that I remember is the oil mist coming off vacuum pumps and leaving stains across a roof due to a certain process that was hard to at that time engineer a solution to. There were dead birds here and there. Anyway, those jobs mainly went to Taiwan and China.

We talk about our young people today. Different world for sure. When I was like ten, I could make money mowing the neighbors lawn. Now, it's the "pros" doing that. I was working in aerospace when I took SS at 62 because I was not happy with my situation. To bridge the gap to medicare, I drove school bus to that time and beyond for a total of six years.

One of the things that stood out from that experience were the students in the local ROTC program. All pretty good kids but upon completing high school most did not go on to active duty.

Sad but who could blame them looking at the military today? While I am proud to have served and lucky to have ended up in Germany in 1970, I will never forget that I was one of the "H-S-N" category, many of whom went to Vietnam.

Yes well, enough rambling on my part. Guess it's time to try to get back to sleep?

/ Cummins fined $1.675 Billion for gaming their diesel emissions. #214  
Four in the morning and I now I cannot get back to sleep. Guess that I should not have had those two cups of coffee with dinner?

Reading all of these postings has gotten me thinking. When I-78 opened across the Lehigh Valley in PA, drivers got a wiff of the coke oven stench that the people of Hellertown had endured for years from Bethlehem Steel. Quite the legacy, big steel had employed some 33,000 or so during it's peak years. They made the barrels for battleships. The steel for the empire state building. While many things contributed to the end, one of the more ironic things was the shutdown of their some 500 people design and engineering department. They had handed the Port Authority the blueprints for the World Trade Center. The Port Authority then gave them the middle finger and bought the steel elsewhere.

My personal experience with big steel was hauling beams and Waylite out of Bethlehem and flat stock and coils from Sparrows Point, MD. I did one time look at a job at a plant that made ductile iron pipe. The hiring manager took me for a tour. Picture being in hell with Satan as your manager, No thanks.

Late seventies, after three winters of running the snow belt on my way from New Jersey to just west of Ottawa, I decided to go to school for electronics technology. Got hired into high tech chip manufacturing. I get a charge when I hear Joe going on about high tech high paid union jobs. We used some 1,400 chemicals and compounds and processes, many of which would kill you on contact over slowly over time. I won't even get started on the union aspect.

Like big steel, many things contributed to the loss of those jobs, some 6,500 at my campus plus two other close by locations bringing peak numbers to around 10k. One thing that I remember is the oil mist coming off vacuum pumps and leaving stains across a roof due to a certain process that was hard to at that time engineer a solution to. There were dead birds here and there. Anyway, those jobs mainly went to Taiwan and China.

We talk about our young people today. Different world for sure. When I was like ten, I could make money mowing the neighbors lawn. Now, it's the "pros" doing that. I was working in aerospace when I took SS at 62 because I was not happy with my situation. To bridge the gap to medicare, I drove school bus to that time and beyond for a total of six years.

One of the things that stood out from that experience were the students in the local ROTC program. All pretty good kids but upon completing high school most did not go on to active duty.

Sad but who could blame them looking at the military today? While I am proud to have served and lucky to have ended up in Germany in 1970, I will never forget that I was one of the "H-S-N" category, many of whom went to Vietnam.

Yes well, enough rambling on my part. Guess it's time to try to get back to sleep?
Sleep is optional. I am not as old as you, but definitely have about the same sleep patterns. Can't keep eyes open at 8 PM but then ready to go do something at midnight only to be back in bed by 2 AM but can't fall back to sleep until around 5 AM.

/ Cummins fined $1.675 Billion for gaming their diesel emissions. #215  
Sleep is optional. I am not as old as you, but definitely have about the same sleep patterns. Can't keep eyes open at 8 PM but then ready to go do something at midnight only to be back in bed by 2 AM but can't fall back to sleep until around 5 AM.
Have you tried Magnesium Glycinate? It worked wonders for me. It’s inexpensive, non-habit forming and good for your health.
It knocks me out in about 15 minutes. I keep it on my night stand and its been a go-to for me and my wife to fall asleep.

/ Cummins fined $1.675 Billion for gaming their diesel emissions. #216  
LA was one of many. New York was supposed to be bad. Many cities used residential coal heating. Not only in the USA, but there are many stories that all of London simply turned BLACK. To the point that local moths even turned black through selective breeding.

Here in Springfield, OR we had a paper mill that STUNK. Mostly noted as one drove along HWY 126. Yet, there had to be local land owners that also were impacted by it.

There was a big kerfuffle in Albany, Oregon about Wah Chang.

View attachment 841328

I remember about a mile of driving along I-5. It wasn't every once in a while, but the place always stunk. To the point I'd try to hold my breath while passing the plant.

Both the Paper plant in Springfield, and Wah Chang in Albany remain today, but they've made changes to reduce their stench.

I don't want to go back.

When I was young, we always had pretty orange sunsets. I haven't noticed them for quite some time, except while there are wildfires. I'm pretty sure those pretty orange sunsets we were looking at was air pollution.

I don't want to go backwards. Yet, at some point one might decide that the current air pollution regulations are good enough. So, we can go ahead with Tier 4, but not move onto Tier 5.

If electric vehicles take over in the next couple of decades, then gas and diesel exhaust will become less of a problem.
EVs is going backwards

/ Cummins fined $1.675 Billion for gaming their diesel emissions. #217  
Let’s face it, the epa has gone after the big polluters. Cummins, coal, fossil fuels, gas stove, fridges, ceiling fans, air conditioners and others Im forgetting. It’s time they focused on other big polluters, like matches, lighters and other open flame sources. Mother Nature will probably get a huge fine this summer for wild fires.

/ Cummins fined $1.675 Billion for gaming their diesel emissions. #218  
Let’s face it, the epa has gone after the big polluters. Cummins, coal, fossil fuels, gas stove, fridges, ceiling fans, air conditioners and others Im forgetting. It’s time they focused on other big polluters, like matches, lighters and other open flame sources. Mother Nature will probably get a huge fine this summer for wild fires.
I never saw a single fine for Mount Saint Helens……

/ Cummins fined $1.675 Billion for gaming their diesel emissions. #219  
   / Cummins fined $1.675 Billion for gaming their diesel emissions. #220  
One of the problems with the tariffs was it applied to raw goods but not finished or semi finished of the same material.

A coil of steel was tariffed but stamp out an item and it wasnt tariffed.

A nail factory couldnt buy coils and still compete with imported nails. They would of been better off importing nails rather than coils to make nails

Status
Not open for further replies.