Cut-Off Tool

/ Cut-Off Tool #21  
Maybe I mis-read, but I dont think he was talking about HF. I think he was talking about a ridgid outlasting them all??

My comment was noting that neither the Bosch or HF survived. If you can break a Bosch tool, I would check out the operator rather than rag on the brands.

/ Cut-Off Tool #22  
Im about 40 miles from HF, 35 from HD, 25 Lowes and Menards. The closest thing is a Big R that is about 20 miles away. Any tool breaking late on a Saturday or Sunday is a project-killer. I have had Harbor freight power tools in the past. Not only do they not last, they also don't perform well usually. On top of that, they "feel" cheap.

/ Cut-Off Tool #23  
Im about 40 miles from HF, 35 from HD, 25 Lowes and Menards. The closest thing is a Big R that is about 20 miles away. Any tool breaking late on a Saturday or Sunday is a project-killer. I have had Harbor freight power tools in the past. Not only do they not last, they also don't perform well usually. On top of that, they "feel" cheap.

HF tools are cheap and no pro should own them. However, when you can literally buy ten HF grinders for the price of a Makita or Bosch or Fein, it is hard to argue that HF tools are worthless. Buy two spares and pocket the change.

/ Cut-Off Tool #24  
I have one Dewalt 4.5" grinder and 4 HF of various cost (10-20 bucks each) Some of them are 5 years old and still run perfect. The Dewalt is a few years older but the brushes are failing in it and sometimes it stops running. They all get used about the same amount with the wire brush being the heaviest power drain on any grinder. I too remove the angle gear head and put in some good grease to replace the bees wax that they come with. Every time I open one up, there is a small glob of hard wax in the head but nothing is on the gears so it is imperative that the heads get grease if you want them to last.
While I don't use them 8-10 hours per day, I do use them just about every day for a few minutes. I keep them loaded with flat wire brush, cup brush, cut off wheel, grinder wheel and tiger paw (sandpaper disc) so what ever I need, I just have to plug it in and go.

/ Cut-Off Tool #25  
I forgot to mention that other than the Dewalt which I think I likely found on sale for $50 or so, I have less than 70 bucks invested in all the other grinders and no way would I spend $400+ dollars to get 4 more Dewalt at todays prices.
THe HF grinders are not as powerful as the high priced ones, but I find them plenty strong enough for average duty. The 7" HF side grinder I bought will turn a 9" blade with plenty of power and not stall at all. The 4.5" grinders will get hot if you labor them for a long time and hard with a power brush. So far, none have burned up on me.

So would I prefer to have one $150 that I had to constantly switch attachments on or 7 of the $20 HF for less money. I think the answer for me is pretty clear.

/ Cut-Off Tool #26  
I forgot to mention that other than the Dewalt which I think I likely found on sale for $50 or so, I have less than 70 bucks invested in all the other grinders and no way would I spend $400+ dollars to get 4 more Dewalt at todays prices.
THe HF grinders are not as powerful as the high priced ones, but I find them plenty strong enough for average duty. The 7" HF side grinder I bought will turn a 9" blade with plenty of power and not stall at all. The 4.5" grinders will get hot if you labor them for a long time and hard with a power brush. So far, none have burned up on me.

So would I prefer to have one $150 that I had to constantly switch attachments on or 7 of the $20 HF for less money. I think the answer for me is pretty clear.

Unless you work for NASA, any tool purchase has to consider bang for the buck. I doubt anyone would argue HF tools excel in comparison to the true pro brands made in Japan or Germany but HF tools can still offer tremendous bang for the buck.

/ Cut-Off Tool #30