Cut-Off Tool

/ Cut-Off Tool
Thanks guy.

I just got back from the steel supply, I got two 24' 1x1 11gauge square. I was cutting with the 14" DeWalt chop saw, I made the first cut fast like always and for the second cut it didn't trow as many sparks like always just a few :(
Anyone know what is wrong with it?

/ Cut-Off Tool #32  
The ridgid completed the job, and has kept going since. Lifetime warranty which hasn't been needed.

https://www.ridgid.com/us/en/half-inch-two-speed-hammer-drill

The bosch was bought new when I was a kid (mid 80's). It had a pretty easy life, but ended up melting the wiring to the armature. It didn't mechanically fail per se, it did melt though.

Bosch 1/2 in. Hammer Drill-1191VSRK at The Home Depot

1/2" holes in 4500psi concrete cooked a bunch of drills. The ridgid came out fine.

I've got 2 of their 1/2 cordless hammer drills now too. Once was bought stand-alone, the other came with a kit. Lifetime warranties on everything - even the batteries. I'm done buying dewalt.

/ Cut-Off Tool #33  
..... I made the first cut fast like always and for the second cut it didn't trow as many sparks like always just a few :(

IMO, two things. ;)
First, your wheel has probably loaded up with metal and needs the abrasive edge 'opened up'. 'Tool houses', 'Bolts-R-Us', 'paypalbay' etc have 'dressing sticks' for vitreous wheels (bench grinder, etc). A few gentle dabs on the edge under power should do the trick. Wear curved lenses or w/side shields and watch the dust.

Angles and square tubes don't cut well with sides flat to a wheel or sawblade. :thumbdown: Ideally, either works best when oriented as with the guard linked above. Cutting across wide, and then narrow, then wide again requires adjusting downfeed pressure awkwardly as wheel contact goes thru' extremes. The wheel runs hot under the wide stuff and metal fuses to the edges under all that heat. (less 'chip clearance' there too ...)

You want to have as much the same cross-section going thru the cut as is possible, saw OR cut-off wheel. Angles are easy to clamp down with the corner up. With square tubes its nice to have a pair of v-blocks to hold stock at 45^ and you still want to clamp the work securely somehow. btw: In a pinch one can scab up v-blocks from wood if they will remember to wet 'em down a bit before makin' sparks. tog :)

/ Cut-Off Tool #34  
DXN1EL said:
Thanks guy.

I just got back from the steel supply, I got two 24' 1x1 11gauge square. I was cutting with the 14" DeWalt chop saw, I made the first cut fast like always and for the second cut it didn't trow as many sparks like always just a few :(

Glazed the edge of the blade. Try cutting a piece of thin stock (1/8"X1") on edge.