Snow Attachments Damage free cutting edge?

/ Damage free cutting edge? #11  
This was on the old gravel and chip and seal roads. I don't think they do that anymore, all the roads are now asphalt.

'slag' roads are alive and well and still put in daily in many areas.

It's a low(er) cost alternative to a conventional asphalt topped road, and in many cases has near the same service life on low traffic roads, as asphalt... and protects the subgrade and is a good sub base, should the municipality find money to cap it later.

/ Damage free cutting edge? #12  
'slag' roads are alive and well and still put in daily in many areas.

It's a low(er) cost alternative to a conventional asphalt topped road, and in many cases has near the same service life on low traffic roads, as asphalt... and protects the subgrade and is a good sub base, should the municipality find money to cap it later.

There's a plenty of slag roads around here. Lots of Amish.

/ Damage free cutting edge? #13  
If you use plastic pipe run it through a table saw. As you cut it turn it a little at a time so its not a straight cut. Stays on the cutting edge without sliding off.

/ Damage free cutting edge?
KYDan said:
The county road crews used to use a 1" X 4" length of oak board instead of the metal cutting edge on the graders and truck plows and it worked fairly well. This was on the old gravel and chip and seal roads. I don't think they do that anymore, all the roads are now asphalt.

Loving this idea!!!

/ Damage free cutting edge? #15  
If you use plastic pipe run it through a table saw. As you cut it turn it a little at a time so its not a straight cut. Stays on the cutting edge without sliding off.

makes sense that it'll hold better. my bucket's 5' wide so my plastic pipe'll be a little shorter, but how much is a little from straight cut? got a pic? thanx

/ Damage free cutting edge? #16  
The county road crews used to use a 1" X 4" length of oak board instead of the metal cutting edge on the graders and truck plows and it worked fairly well. This was on the old gravel and chip and seal roads. I don't think they do that anymore, all the roads are now asphalt.

I added a 2x6 below the cutting edge and it work pretty good for the past 3 yrs.. I used a 2x6 so i could reverse it if the edge got worn down too much..

I used 4 or 5 3/8" bolts to hold the board in place - my rear blade is homemade and doesnt have a bolt-on cutting edge.

brian

/ Damage free cutting edge?
thatguy said:
I added a 2x6 below the cutting edge and it work pretty good for the past 3 yrs.. I used a 2x6 so i could reverse it if the edge got worn down too much..

I used 4 or 5 3/8" bolts to hold the board in place - my rear blade is homemade and doesnt have a bolt-on cutting edge.

brian

U just using a 2x6 pine board? I like this idea even more!!! Lol!

/ Damage free cutting edge? #18  
I would like to use it for snow removal on my concrete driveway.

Any suggestions for a cutting edge or other method to prevent the blade from ripping and hanging up on my expensive drive? Thank u!

Papa, here is what I use. I got the piece of used rubber off a county roads snow plow. A friend of mine worked for the county years ago and gave me this piece. It was (I think 8 feet long) and I cut it down. They were throwing them in the dumpster. It had very little wear on it and for the few driveways I plow this will last a lifetime.

Attachments

• rubber edge copy.jpg
    rubber edge copy.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 296
   / Damage free cutting edge? #19  
U just using a 2x6 pine board? I like this idea even more!!! Lol!

Yes.. just a pressure treated 2x6 hold in place by a few bolts..

I also added the same thing to the bottom of the FEL for the same purpose.. I use the FEL for paved driveways and the rear blade for the gravel ones in the neighborhood..

Both will still scrape some of the sealer off the asphalt driveway in spots, BUT there is no way it can 'dig in' to the asphalt..

Brian

/ Damage free cutting edge? #20  
makes sense that it'll hold better. my bucket's 5' wide so my plastic pipe'll be a little shorter, but how much is a little from straight cut? got a pic? thanx

A 1/2 inch in 5 feet should be good.