Damaged Threads - 1025R Rear Axle

/ Damaged Threads - 1025R Rear Axle #1  

snpower

Gold Member
Tractor
John Deere GT235, GT 275, 1025R
After a mishap I have several sets of damaged threads to contend with. Talked with the folks at NAPA and purchased a rethread/thread chaser tool. I added some cutting oil, made sure I went in straights and set my drill to a slow speed. It seemed to initially work ok for a few turns but quickly stopped turning and when I removed it the tool was worn beyond use.

I think the threads are just gone/damaged - meaning I will have to cut new ones. Before I head of in another direction, thought I'd ask for advice here; I've never performed this type of repair before. I did procur some longer bolts w/nuts to get the wheel back on, but I'd prefer to use threaded bolts.

I have attached a few pictures of the threads and one of the tool I bought...

Attachments

• IMG_2160 Large.jpeg
    IMG_2160 Large.jpeg
    381.5 KB · Views: 368
  • IMG_2161 Large.jpeg
    IMG_2161 Large.jpeg
    384.5 KB · Views: 363
  • IMG_2162 Large.jpeg
    IMG_2162 Large.jpeg
    334.2 KB · Views: 368
   / Damaged Threads - 1025R Rear Axle #2  
Not saying that wat cause it but never use a drill for doing threads always do them by hand and you go back in forth screw in half a turn, unscrew 1/4 and on and on until you get it... You could do heli-coil thread repair, oversize the hole and re thread or weld a nut behind if these are a option.

Last edited:
   / Damaged Threads - 1025R Rear Axle #3  
What happened (mishap)? if I may ask..

Last edited:
   / Damaged Threads - 1025R Rear Axle #5  
One thing that would concern me is punching it out for a helicoil might thin out the edge and you'd get cracks on the outside of the flange.
I think I would make some weld in inserts, punch it out to a press fit, weld them in on both sides, grind flush and chase the threads. I know that is easy to say and is an incredible amount of work, especially if the axle isn't on the bench.

/ Damaged Threads - 1025R Rear Axle #6  
Water over the dam at this point, and it could just be the picture, but it looks like auto parts store might have sold you a tap, not a thread chaser. Chasers have very limited taper lead. Concept with a chaser is to pick up the existing thread vs cutting new one. Chaser on left, tap on right.

There are different styles of thread insert repairs. In addition to Heli-coils there are Timeserts and others. Might want to check them out. I’ve buggered up a few Heli -coil inserts during installation.
chaser.jpg

Good luck.

Last edited:
   / Damaged Threads - 1025R Rear Axle #8  
Possibly silly question but is the tap or thread chaser the correct size? Reason for asking is there appears to be some threads left in the hub so correct tap should want to follow and clean thise threads. Any room to try starting tap from back side?

/ Damaged Threads - 1025R Rear Axle #9  
Another option would be to drill the holes out enough to install studs from the back. It's a lot easier to install wheels with studs in the hub anyways.

/ Damaged Threads - 1025R Rear Axle
Possibly silly question but is the tap or thread chaser the correct size? Reason for asking is there appears to be some threads left in the hub so correct tap should want to follow and clean thise threads. Any room to try starting tap from back side?
It should be. I took in a bolt and they measured it.