Damaged Threads - 1025R Rear Axle

/ Damaged Threads - 1025R Rear Axle
Water over the dam at this point, and it could just be the picture, but it looks like auto parts store might have sold you a tap, not a thread chaser. Chasers have very limited taper lead. Concept with a chaser is to pick up the existing thread vs cutting new one. Chaser on left, tap on right.

There are different styles of thread insert repairs. In addition to Heli-coils there are Timeserts and others. Might want to check them out. I’ve buggered up a few Heli -coil inserts during installation. View attachment 808928

Good luck.
I specifically asked... twice. And explained that I did not want to cut new threads. Sigh...

Possibly silly question but is the tap or thread chaser the correct size? Reason for asking is there appears to be some threads left in the hub so correct tap should want to follow and clean thise threads. Any room to try starting tap from back side?
I should be able to start from the back... with a chaser or the tap?

/ Damaged Threads - 1025R Rear Axle #13  
I should be able to start from the back... with a chaser or the tap?
If threads are present and just damaged chaser should work or tap of correct size to just clean up existing threads. Some types of cast or forged steel are very tough and difficult to machine so slow and easy with either tool is best approach.

/ Damaged Threads - 1025R Rear Axle #14  
It should be. I took in a bolt and they measured it.
If you lay the bolt on the chaser do the threads match up? 99% certain the threads are metric.

/ Damaged Threads - 1025R Rear Axle #15  
I came very close to having this problem on a front wheel of my 1025R. A routine front wheel replacement resulted in a galled female thread. It's a less common metric thread, so I had no tap in the kit. I was able to chase out the damaged thread by cutting an extra bolt I had.

What is pictured as your "thread chasing tool" is indeed a tap. It's okay to use for this, if you are very careful. As said. by hand only! Two thirds a turn in, one third a turn out (so it cuts back the building chips of the four flute tap), all the way in until it spins in freely. Lots of lubrication. The tap must be square to the hole. If not, it'll try to cut a new thread off axis.

If you're now past that repair, installing a helicoil is your next best option. You'll have to buy a heilcoil kit for that thread size, which will include a drill, a special tap, and some helicoils. In my opinion, for this application, installing a helicoil is machining work requiring precision and care. You will be cutting a new threaded hole, which must be on axis and square to the surface. I'm not saying that it can't be done on the tractor, but you get one chance to get it right. figure out a means to very precisely square the hole to the surface of the flange. The hole can be drilled by power (at a very slow speed), but still, the tapping must be at hand speed, in and out as described. Review helicoil installation instructions and videos. A very common process.

Happily, a helicoil repair to a female thread is stronger than the original, and much less likely to ever bind again. Really well made equipment, where removing/reinstalling bolts is intended, often come with helicoils already (some expensive cameras tripod mount threaded hole).

If you're considering a weld type repair, that is certainly specialized work, find a machine shop who say that they have the capability.

/ Damaged Threads - 1025R Rear Axle #16  
NAPA is probably better than a lot of the automotive parts suppliers, but they are still auto parts stores and you needed a machinist supply house to give you the correct thread chasing item. NAPA probably gave you want they thought you needed, and they had in stock, not what you really needed.
Good luck with it!
David from jax

/ Damaged Threads - 1025R Rear Axle #17  
Retaping damaged threads to the original size is always a crap shoot. I am not a machinist, but I would go straight to a heli coil repair or drill and tap a larger thread... Always by hand.

Earlier this year I partially stripped out the drain plug hole in the aluminum rear transmission of one of my zero turn mowers. I plan to do a heli coil repair at the next fluid interval. Aluminum is easier to work with than cast steel, so I don't anticipate any problems.

/ Damaged Threads - 1025R Rear Axle #18  
Another option would be to drill the holes out enough to install studs from the back. It's a lot easier to install wheels with studs in the hub anyways.
I personally like this solution the best.

/ Damaged Threads - 1025R Rear Axle #19  
From what I see in this picture you don't have any material left to do anything with that size tap.

1688297995958.png

So I have sucessfully repaired two of the three sets of damaged threads. On the one, I installed a slightly smaller diameter bolt and secured with a lock washer and nut. Everything to torqued to spec. Thank you to everyone for your help and insights. This forum is invaluable.