Dang Red Off road Fuel

/ Dang Red Off road Fuel #11  
Aren't all you guys just trying to quote the sage old adage..

YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!!!

There probably isn't one among us that hasn't done a similar thing at one time or another!!

/ Dang Red Off road Fuel #12  
/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Now thats my kind of thinking. I like it when it's never my fault even when it is.

/ Dang Red Off road Fuel #13  
When things don't go right you can just delegate the responsibility somewhere else. Delegate yeah I like that word...... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

That word and 5 bucks might get me a cup of coffee at Starbucks, then again maybe not.

TC-40D SS web pictures click here

/ Dang Red Off road Fuel #14  
I use red diesel exclusively for my tractors. Either this is just a joke and I missed the punch line, or you really think that a red liquid acutally has some ability to clog a fuel filter.

I can understand the fuel itself being contaminated by a leaking drum or from the supplier, but what diference does the color have to do with the quality of the fuel?

It's made at the same refinery as the road diesel is. The only diference is that they add the die to it. Used to be the stations responsiblitly to add the die, but for reasons I don't understand, the refinery does it now.

Maybe you don't burn enough diesel for the price difference to matter. I buy a couple hundred gallons a week sometimes, and that .35 cents a gallon difference sure is important to me.

Sorry about your filters. You might want to open those drums and see whats in there.

/ Dang Red Off road Fuel
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I use red diesel exclusively for my tractors. Either this is just a joke and I missed the punch line, or you really think that a red liquid acutally has some ability to clog a fuel filter.

I can understand the fuel itself being contaminated by a leaking drum or from the supplier, but what diference does the color have to do with the quality of the fuel?

It's made at the same refinery as the road diesel is. The only diference is that they add the die to it. Used to be the stations responsiblitly to add the die, but for reasons I don't understand, the refinery does it now.

Maybe you don't burn enough diesel for the price difference to matter. I buy a couple hundred gallons a week sometimes, and that .35 cents a gallon difference sure is important to me.

Sorry about your filters. You might want to open those drums and see whats in there.
)</font>

or you really think that a red liquid acutally has some ability to clog a fuel ------- shows you have no understanding what you read i said with the deep red color its hard to see the dirt and some water mixed in the fuel,,, I didnt say the red plugs filters,,,,

The only diference is that they add the die to it. Used to be the stations ------------- BULLCRAP . Im tired of reading this line of horsemanure It my be true in some states but . BY GOD IN WV OFF ROAD DIESEL FUEL IS DYED RED AND IS HIGH SULPHER FUEL , on road is Clear to green and low sulpher , Big dang diffrence in the fuel ........Im going to take pics after breakfast and Post pics of this **** fuel so everyone can stop climbing down my throat . after ya see the PICs SEE BY GOD IF YOU CAN SEE ANY **** DIRT . I sure cant but the filters surley do .

/ Dang Red Off road Fuel #16  
It does not matter if you cannot see the all dirt, water, bacteria, fungi, and algae contamination in your diesel fuel or what color it is, it is still bad and bad fuel is bad news for diesel engines all the time.

At least you did get exactly what you paid for! /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

/ Dang Red Off road Fuel #17  
Briggs,

It was not my intent to upset you. I'm just offering a point of view and a suggestion that you may or may not have considered.

When the refinery makes diesel fuel, it makes it continuously. Then it's pumped to the loading platforms. If something special is to be added to the fuel, it is done so after it's been refined and along this route.

The only difference between red and clear is the color.

To suggest that you should be able to see the dirt particles in the fuel isn't realistic. Filters are designed to catch particles in the micron size, way smaller than the human eye can detect.

I would suggest your cut open your filter and actually see what it's been catching to clog it up. It will be died red, but when you run your fingernail over the filter element, you'll pick up dirt, rust or some foreign substance that shouldn't be there.

Good luck.

/ Dang Red Off road Fuel #18  
Briggs: I would venture to say there is two sources that may have contributed to your fuel problem.

The first source being the age of the fuel in the drums. Leaving fuel in a metal drum for any length of time will lead to two several problems. The first being condensation from the temperature change, thus adding water to your diesel on a daily basis. The second problem in untreated fuel left over a period of time is a form of algae from contaminants that will cause the problems you are describing.

The second source being contaminants in the drum before the diesel was put in the drums. It's hard to say what the condition of the drums were in before they were filled with fuel.

The majority of fuel distrubuted in West Virginia is made at the Marathon Ashland Petroleum refinery in Catlettsburg, Kentucky. The Catlettsburg refinery makes only one type of diesel fuel for distribution, low sulpher highway use fuel. The red dye is added at the refinery for "Off Road Fuel".

I have only used Off Road Fuel in all of my tractors and thankfully I have had no issues/problems with the fuel. As mentioned by someone else in this post, I would take an air chisel an open the top of the 55-gallon drums to determine the condition of the drums (i.e., residue).

/ Dang Red Off road Fuel #19  
"As mentioned by someone else in this post, I would take an air chisel an open the top of the 55-gallon drums to determine the condition of the drums (i.e., residue)."

Or buy a Bore Scope. What a perfect opportunity to add to the tool chest...and save that fuel drum at the same time!

MORE TOYS Mama, MORE TOYS

/ Dang Red Off road Fuel #20  
You might try power service to treat the fuel. I've been adding it to any fuel I buy and it does keep out water. I keep fuel for 6 months, as amatter of fact I'm running off some summer fuel right now.