Dealer prep oopsies

/ Dealer prep oopsies #1  

looch

Veteran Member
Tractor
B2601
I've found more than a couple and now I feel like I should be going over the whole thing. Nothing major, but if one of your main functions is to prep these tractors, I'd hope that the process would be well vetted.

1. Loader not seated properly - noticed it was off by about 2" measruing from the loader arm to the hood emblem. A couple of good heave's and it popped into position.

2. Couldn't engage the PTO - the seat belt coil was installed upside down preventing the PTO lever from moving into position.

3. MMM height control wobbling around and not staying at set position. Missing retaining clip that engages the cogs on the shaft to keep it in position. Dealer provided the parts free of charge.

4. Backhoe lines/hoses not routed according to spec. One of the steel lines was mounted 180 degrees off of standard and routed down through the backhoe frame making it impossible to make use of the storage clip. Loosened the fitting, rotated it, and rerouted the hoses.

/ Dealer prep oopsies #2  
It's not just tractor mechanics who put things together wrong. I bought a used Stihl MS170 that never seemed to run right. I finally determined that the preformed fuel filter had been installed 180 degrees off, so that it was kinked and didn't allow the fuel to flow. I turned it around and it ran like a charm... until I blew up the engine.
(If you've read many of my posts about chainsaws, that seems to be part of a pattern.)

/ Dealer prep oopsies #3  
I had some loose bolts, and a leaky fitting for my third function, the salesman and I fixed those upon delivery.

/ Dealer prep oopsies #4  
Delivered with underinflated tires and leaky hydraulic fittings. Not really a big deal so I took care of those, but something the dealer should have checked.

/ Dealer prep oopsies #5  
I'll bet that my new purchase (B2650) a year ago takes the record. It went back to the dealer five times before the missing bolts, missing parts etc. were corrected. That dealer now has a new Service Manager, new assembly mechanic and a new secretary. During that fiasco, I lost my cool and apologized. The tractor has run perfectly the past year with about 100 hours clocked.....thank goodness.
Cheers,
Mike

/ Dealer prep oopsies #6  
I got lucky. My 2650 was zero-defects upon delivery. I did check everything and found nothing wrong. Now I am at 300 hours.

/ Dealer prep oopsies #7  
I got lucky. My 2650 was zero-defects upon delivery. I did check everything and found nothing wrong. Now I am at 300 hours.

I had a single loose hydraulic fitting at the FEL manifold. It was weeping only under use. Since I only found that one item, it took me a bit to realize that I really hadn't missed anything and it really was the ONLY thing. I swore I must have missed something, but every bolt was torqued and marked.

I did have to remove the bolt-on front tie downs in order to mount the MMM (bought 1 year later). It took me a moment to figure out why I couldn't properly swing up the front mount of the mower lift. I keep the tie down brackets in a drawer in case I ever have a need to trailer my tractor.

/ Dealer prep oopsies #8  
My brother just started working at a Kubota dealer recently. They have him assembling new equipment and also driving the delivery/pickup rollback. He gets interrupted a lot while trying to do something, I can see how stuff would get missed.

/ Dealer prep oopsies #9  
My brother just started working at a Kubota dealer recently. They have him assembling new equipment and also driving the delivery/pickup rollback. He gets interrupted a lot while trying to do something, I can see how stuff would get missed.

Exactly.

Although I don't assemble tractors, my main job is in IT as a network admin, and I can't tell you how many times I am trying to configure a new piece of equipment and I have to do it when no one is around so I can focus, so I can get it done the FIRST TIME correctly.

I'm surprised anything gets done right these days with all the distractions. Cell phones, other people, more demand (less pay), etc, etc.

What's even more perplexing is that the newer generation doesn't care if they screw up -- even multiple times.

/ Dealer prep oopsies #10  
My new ECHO saw seized up after ten minutes of use. Dealer put oil and gas in the thing and didn't grease the nose. I got it going again and didn't say anything, but it shows how lacking our world has become for getting the small details right. This dealer has sold thousands of saws!