Dealer Pricing

/ Dealer Pricing #1  

Wildmikey

Tractor
Bobcat CT-122
Hello, I'm just spanking brand new to the forum, (after lurking about for a few months), so excuse my naivete.
Wifey finally gave me the green light to purchase a compact/sub-compact tractor. I started visiting the usual dealers, (green, blue, both shades of orange). What I've found is that there doesn't seem to be any leeway with regards to pricing. The prices that have been shown to me are pretty much in line with MSRP pricing on the internet. The sales crew seem willing to sit down (in their office) with you, make some motions on the calculator, send the data to a computer printer and hand you a paper with a MSRP listed. In one instance, the dealer took perverse pleasure in pointing out that I could have saved $1200 had I purchased in Nov. (when I first started thinking about this), instead of now. Needless to say, he is not getting my business. The point is do the dealers have any room to negotiate down a price for sale? The only experience I have in this field is buying a car, (yuk!). Usually the sales guy is hanging on your leg as you walk out the door.
What I'm looking for, be it new or used, is a 20~25 HP sub/compact with a 60" mmm and FEL. I have a lot of dirt to move, a driveway to keep clear in the winter, and about 2 acres of grass to cut.
I know there are some dealers on here so I would like to hear their opinions also. I'll post some of my findings if anyone is interested in another thread as to what I have found between brands and how I was treated.
Thanks.

/ Dealer Pricing #2  
They have not got as much room as you would think. I can only speak for kubota but on a tracto with a $18,300.00 msrp you should be able to buy it for the mid to upper 15k to mid 16k range. If you let the dealer know you are shopping price they will give you a good price in most cases. On the kubota website you can build a new tractor and get exact msrp pricing to compare to.

hope this helps

/ Dealer Pricing #3  
One thing to keep in mind with moving snow, a loader if not use other than moving snow banks from one place to the other. Of no use in clearing a drive or the like. The bucket fills up in 2-3 feet.

You need either a plow or blower for clearing snow with a tractor.

Joel

/ Dealer Pricing
FTCKUBOTA said:
On the kubota website you can build a new tractor and get exact msrp pricing to compare to.

That's pretty much what I did with Kubota and JD. NH I was able to get the price of the base unit and figured out that the cost of the mmm and FEL would be roughly the same as the orange and the green.
What gets me is that with money being tight and people spending less, I just get the feeling that the dealers don't give a 'rat's behind' whether you buy something or not. No enticements, no incentives, nothing!

/ Dealer Pricing #6  
I don't think you will currently find a huge amount of wiggle room, though I would think you could beat MSRP. The best deals out there are on slightly used, demo's or models that have for one reason or another sat on the lot and not sold and the dealer needs to get off of inventory. Prices have climbed steadily over the past few years and with the hike in steel etc. especially in the last year or so. Locally I am seeing quite a few 1 to 4 year old tractors in that size, listed on craigslist and other ad sources, for good prices as people try to cut back.

/ Dealer Pricing #7  
I have a NH TC25D with a FEL and initially a 60" mmm and used it for the same tasks you mention. I quickly found out this combination was way too heavy for our yard, particularly in Spring, so I sold the mmm. I went back to a lawn/garden tractor for cutting the lawn. I also have a brush hog for cutting a 4 acre pasture. BTW, I use the FEL to clear snow and it works fine. I clear 4 driveways every time it snows. No need for a plow or a snow blower where I live (Central PA).

/ Dealer Pricing #8  
yes, dealers have some play on the MSRP - but depending on time of year, sales volume, what kinds of incentives they have gotten from the "home office", etc... that play may be $3k, or it may only be $500.
On the flip side, if you're buying some attachments at the same time, they will often cut you some slack there as well. Keep in mind, slack off a dealer's price may still be more than you woul dpay for a light duty implement at TSC or northern tool. (which only matters if a light duty tool really is enough)

/ Dealer Pricing #9  
THE ONE THING I CAN TELL YOU IS THAT IN THE COMPACT TRACTORS THERE IS NO MARKUP. THAT IS ONE REASON THAT YOU PROBABLY WILL NOT SEE MUCH OF A DISCOUNT. DEALERS MAKE THE SAME AMOUNT OF OF EACH UNIT, IT IS THE MANUFACTORS THAT DECIDE WHAT INCINTIVES YOU WILL GET.

/ Dealer Pricing #10  
I bought a Kubota BX2350 last year, I don't remember how much less than MSRP I paid, but it wasn't alot, maybe $500-$1000.