Dealerships Changing/Adding Brands

/ Dealerships Changing/Adding Brands #1  

Shenandoah MF1760

Silver Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson 2020 MF1760M
I had to go into town near my place in the woods to get to the dealership on a non-tractor-related issue (they also carry Kawasaki UTV's).

As I passed through town I noticed that the local Kubota dealer was now owned by Lansdowne-Moody a company with 11 locations spread around the area. While I don't own a Kubota I have used their dealers to buy implements and I never like seeing a little guy bought out by a corporation.

My local Massey Dealer had dropped New Holland in favour of LS which they said was the same tractor for thousands less base price and had added Solis to their lineup. The owner was impressed with Solis but was only sticking with offering the SCUTs for now and had committed to always keeping an inventory of 5 units.

The Massey Dealer near my home (100 miles from my place in the woods) had dropped Mahindra in favour of Bad Boy (made by Kukje Machinery Co, which is owned by Tong Yang Moolsan (TYM) who also make Brandon's - I think...).

Supply chain issues had made having anything to sell difficult and probably hurt small guys more than folks like the above-mentioned Lansdowne-Moody who can offer more choices as they have a better chance of getting rid of them. Although when shopping for a rollover box blade they didn't have one, but did find one for me through their distributor network.

I don't have many qualms against Mahindra but I was glad I hadn't bought one as that would have made a lawn and garden supply the closest dealer near me and they only carry SCUTs. My tractor being 60 HP is bigger than anything that lawn and garden place services or carries.

I guess these are just the times we live in.

Has anyone else seen changes?

/ Dealerships Changing/Adding Brands #2  
Never paid much attention actually. Keep in mind that big players like JD are cancelling franchises with small, low volume dealers and moving towards multi outlet large dealers and Kubota is trying to go down the same road, I say trying. New Holland (CNH) did the same as Deere did. Small dealers lost their franchises, big volume, outlet dealers remained. it's business.

My local New Holland / CNH dealer lost his franchise and had to take on Kioti and some other lesser brands instead and the Kubota dealer I work for part time, Kubota has been bugging him to enlarge / build a new facility (his present showroom and shop are old, but he basically told them to shove it because he's one of the largest dealerships in sales volume in the surrounding area, plus his service guys are very well versed and people around here go there because it get fixed the first time.

He lost his Case franchise some years ago (Case CNH) did the consolidation deal but he still works on Case Ag equipment constantly. I'm their go to do this and that person and I drive their roll back trucks delivering smaller tractors part time.

/ Dealerships Changing/Adding Brands #3  
I'm their go to do this and that person and I drive their roll back trucks delivering smaller tractors part time.

@5030, you have just perfectly described the ideal retirement job.

/ Dealerships Changing/Adding Brands #5  
Another long time local dealer folded today, announced they are having an auction and selling off all remaining stock. Good friend is the parts manager there, I'm worried about him. He's no young kid but not old enough to retire either. Kind of figured it was gonna happen when they lost their CNH franchise and had to pick up Kioti instead. Not the Kioti is bad but there are quite a few dealers of various brands (JD, Branson, Kubota, Mahindra and some others) within 30 miles of here. You can only have so much market saturation with so many to choose from and the pie slices get too thin to survive.

Been in business for 70 years btw.

/ Dealerships Changing/Adding Brands #6  
Just in the past few years I have seen the dealerships around here change hands. The big Evolution Ag (Plain City, Oh), changed hands to Bain-Welker. Bain Welker switched over from Kubota to Kioti for their small tractor lineup. They still sell Case IH for big stuff.

JD equipment (Marion, OH) got swallowed up by Ag-Pro. Parrot Implement in Richwood, OH (JD dealer) got swallowed up by Ag-Pro.

/ Dealerships Changing/Adding Brands #7  
There aren't any single outlet JD dealers left anywhere and it's all a corporate decision.

/ Dealerships Changing/Adding Brands #8  
I would expect to see significant consolidation in the next 4-5 years..Much more than we have seen in the past 10. The days of mom and pop stores is waining. Its unlikely those that have survived covid and the last 18 months of supply disruptions, will be able to hold it together for the next 3-4 years when the economy begins to turn around. It really is sad but online sales and corporate control is the ultimate death nail to small business. .. Its just too hard to pay the overhead being a service only outlet.

/ Dealerships Changing/Adding Brands #9  
Just had 2 very old, well known & trusted dealerships with multiple locations merge companies.

/ Dealerships Changing/Adding Brands #10  
Here the change is closing not to reopen...

We just can't seem to keep dealers that have the smaller lines...

Or it could be me... I go to nearest Kubota and next time I need something they have closed shop... speaking of SF Bay Area... very different in the Olympia WA area...