Dealing with bulk / 5 gallon bucket of oil

/ Dealing with bulk / 5 gallon bucket of oil #11  
Get a one gallon can and a large funnel. Transfer from the 5-gallon into the 1-gallon for easier lifting and pouring. Or, if you want to go direct from the 5 gallon into the machine, a cheap $5 aquarium siphon with a squeeze bulb works great and is disposable. Just have to get the 5-gallon pail up higher than the hole on the machine. Throw the cheap siphon away rather than clean it.

/ Dealing with bulk / 5 gallon bucket of oil #12  
bdog nailed it. Buy the 1 gallon jugs. Also, if you get a synthetic such as 5W40, the oil change intervals can be slightly lengthened, offsetting some of the cost.

/ Dealing with bulk / 5 gallon bucket of oil #13  
I concur with the one gallon jugs. Also check out the case of 12 quarts price.

/ Dealing with bulk / 5 gallon bucket of oil #15  
I'll buy a 20 liter pail if it's cheaper but pour ir into 10 liter jugs as soon as I open the pail. It's easier to deal with that way. As mentioned there are times when a smaller quality is cheaper on a per liter basis.

/ Dealing with bulk / 5 gallon bucket of oil #16  
A pail tipper makes it easier to transfer to a 1 gallon container: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/parts-repairs/258905-anyone-have-pail-tipper-5-a.html

Can-Tippers-432.jpg

/ Dealing with bulk / 5 gallon bucket of oil #17  

That pail is in there wrong. They are a lot easier to pour if the spout is on the top. In fact you don't even need a pail tipper. If you set the pail on the work bench so that when you tip it over on it's side the spout is on top then it's quite easy to get the oil into another container. One the pail is part empty and laying on it's side you just roll it along the work bench till all the oil is poured into other containers.

/ Dealing with bulk / 5 gallon bucket of oil #18  
I have not noticed much price difference in 1 gallon vs 5 gallon jugs. I would just buy 1 gallon jugs for easier use. They often come in cardboard boxes of three jugs which are easy to transport.

There is the best answer. I used some 2.5 and some 1 gallon jugs this time for the hydraulic oil. I also used the long neck flex funnel wired up like a poster above noted. Problem solved. 5 gal pails are getting heavy for me to hold for a long period of time.

/ Dealing with bulk / 5 gallon bucket of oil
Thanks everyone.. I have not had the opportunity to price so I just assumed a 5gal pail would be cheaper and more miserable to work with. Will double check our area but I assume we are going to be getting 1Gal and making those work.

/ Dealing with bulk / 5 gallon bucket of oil #20  
My tractor and lawn mower both use Low Viscosity Hi-Guard. The last time I bought the oil it was cheaper in 10 liter jugs vs a 18.9 l/5 us gal. pail.