Dealing with general contractor on home renovation/additions

/ Dealing with general contractor on home renovation/additions #1  

tlj87

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 4700, Kubota BX2370-1, Kubota RTV1140CPX, Kubota F3060, Club Car Precedent
We worked with an architect in 2020-21 to develop plans for two modest additions to our existing home and an 80% interior remodel of the existing structure. We checked out/got quotes from several contractors ranging from the local big-name, multi-crew outfits to the smaller independent guy with a helper. We ended up with the independent guy with a helper. The project started about 2 1/2 months later than originally planned (Foundation subcontractor started in September, GC started in October). I've done all of the leg work, getting material samples, ordering cabinets, doors, windows, deck rail, flooring, fixtures, etc. I've also done exterior demo including removing landscaping, moving buried phone lines, old deck. Have installed all of the french drains and downspout drains.
We anticipated long wait times on materials, but the issue we have is that all of these materials are in, but the contractor is slow. His work is good and he is a stand-up guy. But, he gets here at 9-9:30 am and leaves around 3-3:30 pm. Most every day he has to run to town to get something (about 35 min round trip driving only). So, At most, he seems to only be working an average of 4-6 hours per day at the site. We've had really nice fall weather until the last couple days, and now the good weather is really gone until spring. I would think that it would be a strong priority to get both additions dried in. At this point, only one of the two additions has a roof and is wrapped. The other one doesn't have trusses yet. I left a list of things that needed to be done recently in preparation for the well service person to reroute our water line and install a new pressure tank but only one of the three things on that list was completed in time.

All of the materials that I've ordered are stored in my barn, but we're going to be charged to keep the cabinets at the warehouse. I don't want to risk having them damaged by not storing them in a climate controlled area. I think it's reasonable to say that the contractor will have to eat that storage cost?

SO, how do I approach this contractor and light a fire under him without p*ssing him off and possibly losing him? I can't imagine trying to find someone else at this point (that could pick right up and start now) due to the labor market, schedules, etc. Our property is difficult to access for large trucks in the winter, so I was hoping to have the major deliveries done by now (namely the cabinets and countertops), but there are some that remain.

/ Dealing with general contractor on home renovation/additions #2  
I've never seen a more contentious business relationship than that with a builder and a homeowner.
My advice is not to tell him anything but to explain your side of things and see what he thinks.
In the current environment you really don't have any choice because as you said starting with another contractor would be problematic and many would not touch it.

/ Dealing with general contractor on home renovation/additions #3  
I agree with Wakey … tell him about the situation and see what he say … I am surprise how little hours he dose … i am wondering if he as other job on the go and that’s why he dose so little hours ?? construction is a first hour to the last, he won’t have a successfully business by working 4h a day.

dealing with the material and scheduling the job should be his responsibility to begin with … I know you saw the cost saving but he is probably over his head with this contract …

Last edited:
   / Dealing with general contractor on home renovation/additions #4  
Was a completion bond part of the contract? I was a builder for 25 years and gave a completion date

/ Dealing with general contractor on home renovation/additions #5  
Was a completion bond part of the contract? I was a builder for 25 years and gave a completion date

I wouldn’t agree to build anything in less than 10 months in this economy. Getting subs and materials has been a disaster since Covid.

/ Dealing with general contractor on home renovation/additions

It was not. I’m not necessarily as concerned with how long it takes, so long as it seems that the work is being performed efficiently, if that makes sense.

/ Dealing with general contractor on home renovation/additions #7  
I can understand what you are going through.
We had our Kitchen and Living room redone this summer.
I started out with one contractor who was supposed to do everything except the spray foam insulation.
Ended up because he was still tied up on another project having the spray foam contractors remove the suspended ceiling and fiberglass insulation for the vaulted ceiling and then they sprayed 5" of closed cell foam to the roof.
At that point I told the first contractor we were ready for him as soon as he was ready.
Waited a while and got a message he was having issues getting other project done. Then a few weeks later he is having heart issues and going in for care.
Start looking for other contractors, several too busy to do it till fall/winter. The ones that could start soon were extremely high priced.
Finally settled on a couple of guys, they spent a few days getting "setup" with no production and then started asking for money for extras to get started, fired them.
Went on the look for another contractor again hired one was supposed to have a contract to me on a Friday on Tuesday the next week he responded that he had gone on a quick vacation to TN. and would be back in a week to get with me, told him not to bother.
Got another response from one I had contacted just prior to this one that they were almost caught up and could start on ours in a week.
This one got started and went to work they sheathed the ceiling, vaulted with the backside of a hip and a valley in the kitchen end, then they got started on the knotty pine for the ceiling, installed the new kitchen cabinets, trimmed and new flooring, a bit of plumbing and just a touch of electrical. I had an electrician come in and do most of the rough electrical working with me before the construction started.
Then I had a semi-local outfit measure the counters and do epoxy poured counter tops, I had him do an island top first and then created the counter tops with just a bit of difference to the island top. Painting has been done once, now my wife wants a different color so thats next weeks job. and install a second new range hood/fan the first expensive super duper one sounded like a jet on takeoff roll.
But we have our project finally at the 99% stage.
The best part is that this last contractor came in with the lowest estimate and hourly cost. We have finished up $20-30,000 under what the bigger contractors wanted.

/ Dealing with general contractor on home renovation/additions #8  
I dont get not having a schedule in writing and signed when work starts. I wouldn't let a contractor start without a hard signed finish date and penalties spelled out.

/ Dealing with general contractor on home renovation/additions
I dont get not having a schedule in writing and signed when work starts. I wouldn't let a contractor start without a hard signed finish date and penalties spelled out.
I can tell you that I have to put in deadlines and penalities in contracts at work and it's been a nightmare for the past two years... constantly amending contracts to extend completion dates.

/ Dealing with general contractor on home renovation/additions #10  
The beauty of "time and materials," is there isn't a contract and no contractor's lien if you are fronting the cost of the materials. There is no exclusive contract to keep anyone for any specific job. At least in Oregon that is how it works. As long as the "qualified builder" you hired knows up front that you are not and they are not, in a contracted situation, I have found that the work was better done, and done in a timely manner. Cause they know you can fire them at any time, and for any reason. These have been by far, the best people to work with in my experience. They don't get in the hole if they underbid, and you are not trapped into one crew.