Dealing with general contractor on home renovation/additions

/ Dealing with general contractor on home renovation/additions #11  
If there is no legally binding contract with any and all licensed contractors...the homeowner can be at risk and subject to liability for any injuries or claims...
Anyone acting as their own contractor should obtain written proof of workmans compensation insurance as per state laws..for any and all workers...
...Don't trust sub contractors to automatically cover their helpers etc with comp...get proof...!

/ Dealing with general contractor on home renovation/additions #12  
It was not. I’m not necessarily as concerned with how long it takes, so long as it seems that the work is being performed efficiently, if that makes sense.
Do you have a contract? Are there any milestones laid out? Is there a draw schedule? I am a little confused, you say he does good work but isnt doing what you want, when you want. Are your desires overreaching his abilities?

/ Dealing with general contractor on home renovation/additions #13  
I dont get not having a schedule in writing and signed when work starts. I wouldn't let a contractor start without a hard signed finish date and penalties spelled out.
In the current market, you’d probably be hard pressed to find anyone. Material and fuel costs spiraling upwards combined with suuply problems of goods, plus a labor shortage (where did they all disappear to?) its almost impossible to bid a job much less give deadlines.

/ Dealing with general contractor on home renovation/additions #14  
Yep; I'm providing almost all materials, the contractor is providing tools and manpower. No locked in completion dates, just quality workmanship and professionalism. And it's basically a T&M job with a few not to exceed items.

/ Dealing with general contractor on home renovation/additions #15  
In the current market, you’d probably be hard pressed to find anyone. Material and fuel costs spiraling upwards combined with suuply problems of goods, plus a labor shortage (where did they all disappear to?) its almost impossible to bid a job much less give deadlines.
I think a big problem where I live is people accept the extremely low level of work out here. Everyone I've ever paid to do anything, plumber, mechanic or what ever has been terrible. I end up doing it my self.

And the work that has been done on my house before I bought it, as I have sadly come to discover is embarrassingly bad

Morton buildings even, horrendous

/ Dealing with general contractor on home renovation/additions #16  
I've gone thru the OP's situation twice in Alexandria, Va. and shredxcam's twice in rural Mississippi.

In Alexandria the first time (about 2012) I was having a very small (650 sq ft) house get a kitchen redo and other "minor" upgrades.
This was to prepare the house so my adult son could effectively move back into the house with his wife and yet to be born son.
I had bought the house and the half acre lot in 1978, moved out in 1984, then had been renting the house.

Alexandria has very strict building regs and inspections.
My son had found an independent guy with a helper through Boy Scouts and it was one of those "I'll do it at cost for a friend price" arrangements, minimal written contract. I'd buy supplies, get permits etc.
A learning experience to say the least.
It could have been worse.
The contractors lived about an hour away in Washington, DC traffic. That's an hour if traffic was light.
After about a month or so of work they were getting to the point of finishing up, traffic was getting worse and the work day became about 9 am to 3 pm, with a short lunch.
I was on site every day if need be or not. My son stopped by frequently.

We got along fairly well but it got strained towards the end. He believed in high quality workmanship at times. The guy would be redoing drywall patches 2 or 3 times to "get it right".

But all was OK, my son and his family were only going to live there for three years, then I could go back to renting it or sell it.

Two years later the family of 3 was becoming a family of 4. The 3 year plan was extended. Decided to put on an addition. Added 1,000 sq ft plus. Hired a GC (general contractor). Went through one architect that thought I was rich. Found a second one we could work with. Detailed written contract. Went thru 1 contractor almost immediately. Thought the contract was only a general guideline.
Second contractor was good, but still a headache.
The GC was an additional expense but by that time (2015) I was in the fifth year of my 3 year plan to retire to the house we had bought in Mississippi and couldn't be on site every day. And due to the construction my son and family moved out for some of it.

So for the OP, see if you can get a mediator in that can talk some sense into your contractor and also quit the "run to town to get something". I found my first contractor really liked going to Lowes, they gave away coffee and sometimes doughnuts.

And as far as shredxcam's situation - I'm told that's the way of the rural areas. If I want high quality work done they charge just as much or more than they charge in DC. And they are booked until the next coming of the Lord.

/ Dealing with general contractor on home renovation/additions #17  
I think a bit of the problem is your piecemealing the job out. I understand "I can do this, why pay him for this work" and just have him come in to put it altogether. We have had numerous upgrades over forty two years. In home projects there are way too many variables, opportunities for modifications, supplier problems, weather, etc. There have been a couple rocky experiences in our younger days, but overall, nothing to really gripe about in a major way. One guy did charge us way too much for job and we shipcanned him afterwards.

My experiences with contractors has been to hire them to DO THE JOB. There is a set forth payment schedule beginning with X dollars up front on contract signing and then agree upon progress payments ending with final payment. Ample instructions are agreed on for changes in the project, and if major in cost, additional contract amendment has to be made.

I have had friends and known of others who want to be the contractor-boss instead of client. The roles and seriousness can be at risk for timely job progress. So far you are happy with the contractor, but really not even close to the finish line to measure quality of work. It would be good to document your job in all the notes you might have compiled and begin keeping a log. Sure the dude is nice, but communication is nil. It seems to be in the disorganized and inefficient, if not, slacker mode. You really are at his mercy at this point and try to deal with the problem as kindly and diplomatically as you can. When it is all said and hopefully done, if you wanna raise heck with him and the contractors board, so be it. Good luck

Now, that I sound like I might know WTH I am talking about.... We are in midst of what was a simple bathroom remodel.VERY simple remodel. It turned into a vastly different project in this 1890's funky ol farmhouse that was originally built with rocks under the handhewed beams. We had it lifted in the nineties and put a foundation under it. It was NASTY. We never knew how poorly done the bathroom was done until last month. Upshot is complete floor and plumbing demo and rebuild. Plumber of choice is lined out until January for three to five day gig with us. So we are dead in water. Our contractor, a single or dual guy, had to adjust his schedule for this as well as us. Stuff happens. Mo money. Mo time, Mo mo mo. We have the dough, disappointed at the time frame, but heck nothing can be done. We have used this guy before to gut and rebuild two rooms, repair a well house, help me with barn repairs, straighten up a shack. He's the best contractor and we are the best client.

Last edited:
   / Dealing with general contractor on home renovation/additions #18  
I've gone thru the OP's situation twice in Alexandria, Va. and shredxcam's twice in rural Mississippi.

In Alexandria the first time (about 2012) I was having a very small (650 sq ft) house get a kitchen redo and other "minor" upgrades.
This was to prepare the house so my adult son could effectively move back into the house with his wife and yet to be born son.
I had bought the house and the half acre lot in 1978, moved out in 1984, then had been renting the house.

My son had found an independent guy with a helper through Boy Scouts and it was one of those "I'll do it at cost for a friend price" arrangements, minimal written contract. I'd buy supplies, get permits etc.
The contractors lived about an hour away in Washington, DC traffic. That's an hour if traffic was light.
After about a month or so of work they were getting to the point of finishing up, traffic was getting worse and the work day became about 9 am to 3 pm, with a short lunch.

We got along fairly well but it got strained towards the end. He believed in high quality workmanship at times. The guy would be redoing drywall patches 2 or 3 times to "get it right".

But all was OK, my son and his family were only going to live there for three years, then I could go back to renting it or sell it.

Two years later the family of 3 was becoming a family of 4. The 3 year plan was extended. Decided to put on an addition. Added 1,000 sq ft plus. Hired a GC (general contractor). Went through one architect that thought I was rich. Found a second one we could work with. Detailed written contract. Went thru 1 contractor almost immediately. Thought the contract was only a general guideline.
The GC was an additional expense but by that time (2015) I was in the fifth year of my 3 year plan to retire to the house we had bought in Mississippi and couldn't be on site every day. And due to the construction my son and family moved out for some of it.

So for the OP, see if you can get a mediator in that can talk some sense into your contractor and also quit the "run to town to get something". I found my first contractor really liked going to Lowes, they gave away coffee and sometimes doughnuts.

And as far as shredxcam's situation - I'm told that's the way of the rural areas. If I want high quality work done they charge just as much or more than they charge in DC. And they are booked until the next coming of the Lord.
Heck I would be willing to pay a high price.

Heater went out and the HVAC guys in town said they wouldn't be able to get the part for a week or 2. I called traine myself and had it the next day

/ Dealing with general contractor on home renovation/additions #19  
Once the job is started, it will be very difficult to find a different contractor to finish up.
I contracted to build my house. Things started out well and nothing was especially difficult - but. The foreman was fired for stealing shortly after the studs were up. The electrician ended up having to go into the hospital for a long stay. The contractor rarely came out and the subs reported they were done (when they were not) so lots of useless trips by the following subs. The estimated 4 months to build our house dragged out to a year. And another year to get exterior doors to work properly. (and fastening clothes rods in a closet to drywall (instead of studs) doesn't last once clothes are hung.)

/ Dealing with general contractor on home renovation/additions #20  

Get a mediator? 🤣
Why not just get a pair and confront the guy on his 9-3 work day?

I’ve had 25 years of dealing with unreasonable customers and subcontractors. It can get ugly at times, but hiring a mediator to have a discussion with someone just makes you look like a scared, little man.
Man-up, show the guy you are disappointed, and I bet you get immediate results.

Last edited: