Death and social media ettiquette

/ Death and social media ettiquette #71  
Sincere question... do you feel that someone's sexual orientation really needs to be added into the mix when you have to describe their personality?

Generally no - but when the sexual preference is frequently brought up by the man himself, and is used as a means to discomfort those around him, then yes.

/ Death and social media ettiquette #72  
I think there is a little mis-understanding about just how facebook works, especially with those that dont have it.

Whatever you post is ONLY public if you ALLOW it to be public.

If you dont allow it to be public, the only ones that you "accept" as "friends" can see it.

And if you only want to allow one or two people to see it, you can use a private message similar to TBN here.

FB is just another form of communication that IMO is no different than e-mail, text message, etc. Just a way to share some fun pics of kids with out-of state relatives. Good way to keep in touch with friends that you havent seen in a long time, etc.

And yes, I see people reporting on someone's death quite a bit. Usually it its reported by next of kin. Gives an opportunity for everyone to offer their condolences without blowing up their phone with a hundred phone calls a day.

My wife and I share a joint FB account. I keep my activity their at a minimum. But there are several things facebook gives me that I cannot get elsewhere. One is the sheriffs calls. They post their calls from the previous day on their facebook page but NOT on their website or anywhere else online. Call history is vague. It will just say something like ...."theft, rd 1234, abcde township. Or "suspicious person, rd 5678, xyz township.

Call history is one thing I have been asking for, for a long time. Always hear the rumors through the grape vine like "did you here so and so's garage got broke into".....well, now we have official information.

Our County engineer is also on FB, and actively posts in our county page. Giving updates about roads to be paved, patched, sealed. And welcomes feedback from those that live in the county on where some of the bad areas are etc.

The school has their own page. So get notices from them about events, fundraisers at local business, signups for sports, etc that we wouldnt know about otherwise.

Sure, lot of people like to post about every detail of their life. What they had for breakfast, if they have the sniffles, they bought new shoes, etc. Thats their thing.

But I treat it as just another line of communication and a valuable resource for LOCAL news and things that are happening around our COUNTY.

Good information LD1, and a good way of looking at social media. If you let it get out of hand, it is usually your fault.

/ Death and social media ettiquette #73  
Cannot answer your pop-up issue.

And no, you dont need to be a member to view anything that is "public".

So my example about the sheriffs call history, or school info, etc......no you dont need to be a member to view all that "public" information.

What being a member gets you is the ability to ask questions or comment via facebook......and also allows you to get notifications. So if someone from the school posts something about an event on facebook.....I get a notification. Very similar to how you can set up e-mail notifications for TBN here anytime someone replies to a thread of yours.

Again, its just another form of communication is all. I dont get too personal on their. But people go their if the want to buy/sell something. Almost getting bigger than craigslist. People go their if their dog gets out.....or if they find a stray dog hoping to find its rightful owner. People will post (no pics or details) stuff like MVA at ......intersection.....road closed so avoid area. Alot of business use it for advertising....and you can read reviews.

I am not trying to sell anyone on facebook. You dont want it and thats fine. All I am saying is there is alot more to it than people realize. Its not just a bunch of people wanting to tell everyone what they had for dinner last night. And its not nearly as "public" as people think it is. If I post a picture of myself on our FB page....you will never see it. My company will never see it. The only people that will see it are people that are "friends".

In the case of the woman that got fired for posting a selfie at work with computer screen in the background. Odds are some of her coworkers are her "friends" on facebook. And one of them ratted her out and showed HR.

If I had something to sell would it be open to anyone with Internet or would they have to be Friended first?

I have found a few good buys on Craigslist... but, mostly they are gone.

Selling, I'm batting zero if I am selling from my home... good pictures, well presented and priced fair... just even after people say they are on their way... ALWAYS a no show...

After experimenting I'm pretty sure I know why... No One is Willing to drive through East Oakland...

I have posted the same ad and used my brother's place and or the other brother's place and sells to the first person typically the same day...

Maybe Facebook would be different?

There is a huge phobia about doing business in East Oakland... most think nothing good exists or it is a set up for being robbed...

30 miles away and zero issues even if the buyer is coming from Oakland... go figure.

Perception is reality.

/ Death and social media ettiquette #74  
There are usually "groups" that one can join and that's where you list stuff for sale.

The "group" can sometimes be public, or sometimes be private.

If private, only members of that group can see. If public, everyone can see. But that's up to the group or whoever created the group.

If you post something for sale on your own page....then only your friends can see.

/ Death and social media ettiquette #75  
There are usually "groups" that one can join and that's where you list stuff for sale.

The "group" can sometimes be public, or sometimes be private.

If private, only members of that group can see. If public, everyone can see. But that's up to the group or whoever created the group.

If you post something for sale on your own page....then only your friends can see.

Got it... thank you.

/ Death and social media ettiquette #78  
I think most of us regard social media as described by Wikipedia:

Social media - Wikipedia

That does not seem to include most forums.

I don't consider TBN and similar sites as Social Media. Sites like TBN have existed for decades and go back until at least the 1980's and a even earlier for specific and small population of users. A quick Google about the first use of the term "social media" indicates the first usage in the mid 1990's. Social Media to me are websites that try to track everything you do, like, say, location at a particular time, AND who are you friends and family. This means websites like Facebook, dating sites, LinkedIn, Google+, etc.

TBN and similar sites have a very limited amount of information on a person where as Social Media is trying to gather as much information about it's users as possible. Deleting something from Facebook only removes it from view. Facebook still has what was deleted and it is still available for Facebook to use. Supposedly if one requests to delete one Facebook account your data is really removed but I wonder if that is really true.

Social Media is a wonderful spy tool. Think about what Facebook and LinkedIn know about people. Stalin and Mao are drooling in their glass enclosures about Social Media. Think of the control it can provide.

To go to mainland China, one has to send or take their passports to a Chinese embassy or consulate. Certainly the Chinese are going to check LinkedIn and Facebook for information on the people requesting the visa. They would be fools not too and the Chinese are not fools.

Later,
Dan