Decarbonizing GDI Engines....

/ Decarbonizing GDI Engines.... #121  
That's what I thought also. The motor is also built a lot like a diesel engine. It's the only gas motor I know that has a bed plate or girdle supporting the crankshaft, with 6 bolt mains. It's has an incredibly strong bottom end.

Most of the modern V motors have gone this way. Hemi and LS motors for example. Very tough engines.

/ Decarbonizing GDI Engines.... #122  
Good to know, I did not know that about the GM and Hemi engines...

/ Decarbonizing GDI Engines.... #123  
Most of the modern V motors have gone this way. Hemi and LS motors for example. Very tough engines.

The DI engines are close enough to diesel to call them a compression ignition engine . The aluminum block DI engine needs more bracing to carry diesel pressure vs a cast iron block low compression gasser.

/ Decarbonizing GDI Engines.... #124  
The DI engines are close enough to diesel to call them a compression ignition engine . The aluminum block DI engine needs more bracing to carry diesel pressure vs a cast iron block low compression gasser.

Peak cylinder pressure is probably about the same, although Mazda is pushing 14:1 static with their Skyactiv motors. That is definitely diesel territory.

/ Decarbonizing GDI Engines.... #125  
You're bound and determined to be right. After looking at the combustion chamber on a 3.5 ecoboost, how can you keep beating your drum? I can clearly see the valve stems through the spark plug hole, which is really the only place one needs to be concerned with...

heads-3.jpg

It's a nice cutaway picture but it's not germane to peering in the sparkplug hole with a borescope and 'seeing' the valve stem.... because you can't. I want to see your borescope image this one is phoooey.

/ Decarbonizing GDI Engines.... #126  
It's a nice cutaway picture but it's not germane to peering in the sparkplug hole with a borescope and 'seeing' the valve stem.... because you can't. I want to see your borescope image this one is phoooey.

At this point I have to agree. I've never seen a boroscope picture that nice before. Honestly, I have held off buying an ecoboost for the carbon potential reasons. Until they locate another injector upstream of the valves I will pass.

I will keep my V10 Superduty and I just bought a new Taurus. I chose the twin variable cam 3.5 instead of the 2.0 ecoboost. Although the 3.5 ecoboost SHO was tempting, if looking at long term ownership I didn't want to chance it.

/ Decarbonizing GDI Engines.... #127  
I have 2 scopes, a very expensive Gradient Lens I use for barrel inspections on long guns and a cheapo HF video borescope (that fits in a sparkplug hole and neither will allow you to valve stem, inserting the head end into a combustion chamber, even with the right angle mirror attachment attached. The HF unit uses an actual mirror, the Gradient Lens (Hawkeye) uses a prism.

That picture is phooey as well as the original post. Thats simply an engineering cutaway of the internal components for iluistrative purposes.

/ Decarbonizing GDI Engines.... #128  
That picture is phooey as well as the original post. Thats simply an engineering cutaway of the internal components for iluistrative purposes.

I think we all realize that.

/ Decarbonizing GDI Engines.... #129  
As much as I would love to play the game of gotcha with you, there is no way I'm going to go back out there, remove the spark plugs and video tape a boroscope. If the idea of looking down into a spark plug hole is that complicated to comprehend, no picture is going to help you. That is just a picture of the combustion chamber of an ecoboost from the world wide web thingy to illustrate how easy it is to see the valves. And...if the valves are not in the right orientation on that cylinder, I simply go to the next one.

I love guys who like to try and play gotcha though.

/ Decarbonizing GDI Engines.... #130  
As much as I would love to play the game of gotcha with you, there is no way I'm going to go back out there, remove the spark plugs and video tape a boroscope. If the idea of looking down into a spark plug hole is that complicated to comprehend, no picture is going to help you. That is just a picture of the combustion chamber of an ecoboost from the world wide web thingy to illustrate how easy it is to see the valves. And...if the valves are not in the right orientation on that cylinder, I simply go to the next one.

I love guys who like to try and play gotcha though.

Your clock is running down with me. IOW, I have no patience with fabricators.

Put up or shut up. You didn't do it, never did.

No 'gotcha' involved. We are discussing a techinical issue, not apple pie for dessert.