Decarbonizing GDI Engines....

/ Decarbonizing GDI Engines.... #131  
giphy.gif

/ Decarbonizing GDI Engines.... #133  
Now that your true colors are exposed, you quit?

/ Decarbonizing GDI Engines.... #134  
Ir was nice this afternoon so I .cleaned the Transit per Ford recommedation. I pulled the MAF sensor out and gave it a bath with CRC MAF cleaner and reinstalled it. Then, I inserted the curved straw from the Sea-foam carbon remover and warmed up the engine to operating temp. Had my wife hold the rpm at 1400 and emptied the entire can of sea-Foam into the intake just in front of the throttle plate (takes about 5 minutes). Then I had her shut down the engine and I pulled the negative battery cable so the ECM could 'forget' any codes and habits and left it disconnected while I changed the spark plugs for new ones.

After I changed the plugs, I reconnected the negative terminal and told her to take it down the road and mash it...She did and I watched and the crap (smoke) coming out the tailpipe was alot. She went up and down the road 2 times, second time... nothing. She pulled back in the drive, the idle is very stable now and she said it 'seemd to have a lot more power. Definitely running very smoothly. Prior to using the Sea-Foan, I pulled the air boot and looked in at the throttle plate... it was very dirty. I looked in after and everything is nice and clean inside. Far as I'm concerned it works as advertised and was recommended by a Ford factory trained tech. Still have to add the PCV filter / catch can. Waiting for a new PCV valve and hose right now. Thats next, then comes the Focus. GDI

/ Decarbonizing GDI Engines....
As much as I would love to play the game of gotcha with you, there is no way I'm going to go back out there, remove the spark plugs and video tape a boroscope. If the idea of looking down into a spark plug hole is that complicated to comprehend, no picture is going to help you. That is just a picture of the combustion chamber of an ecoboost from the world wide web thingy to illustrate how easy it is to see the valves. And...if the valves are not in the right orientation on that cylinder, I simply go to the next one.

I love guys who like to try and play gotcha though.

I'd like to get this back on track.

1) Anybody that wants to trade insults - set up your own thread, or do it in PMs.

2) I honestly can't tell if I'm looking at trolling here, or lack of understanding of how an engine head is partitioned, or a breakdown in the English language.... or some weird GroundHog Day combination of all 3......

3) The deposits of concern are virtually all on the TOP side of the head - ie. NOT in the the combustion chamber.

This video illustrates the carbon deposits being discussed:

14,769 miles – BG Fueltest

I had issues on getting that video to reliably launch from that page. A direct youtube link for those tests is below:

BGFuelTest.com: 9,995 miles Cylinder 4 - YouTube

4) Nobody is asking anybody to pull a spark plug - since in the context of this thread, doing that would be a total waste of time.

Rant Off.

Rgds, D.

Ir was nice this afternoon so I .cleaned the Transit per Ford recommedation. I pulled the MAF sensor out and gave it a bath with CRC MAF cleaner and reinstalled it. Then, I inserted the curved straw from the Sea-foam carbon remover and warmed up the engine to operating temp. Had my wife hold the rpm at 1400 and emptied the entire can of sea-Foam into the intake just in front of the throttle plate (takes about 5 minutes). Then I had her shut down the engine and I pulled the negative battery cable so the ECM could 'forget' any codes and habits and left it disconnected while I changed the spark plugs for new ones.

After I changed the plugs, I reconnected the negative terminal and told her to take it down the road and mash it...She did and I watched and the crap (smoke) coming out the tailpipe was alot. She went up and down the road 2 times, second time... nothing. She pulled back in the drive, the idle is very stable now and she said it 'seemd to have a lot more power. Definitely running very smoothly. Prior to using the Sea-Foan, I pulled the air boot and looked in at the throttle plate... it was very dirty. I looked in after and everything is nice and clean inside. Far as I'm concerned it works as advertised and was recommended by a Ford factory trained tech. Still have to add the PCV filter / catch can. Waiting for a new PCV valve and hose right now. Thats next, then comes the Focus. GDI

Good to hear that worked out well. Happy Transit , Happy Wife, better performance/mileage :thumbsup:.

IIRC, your year of Transit was still MPFI - correct 50 ?

Rgds, D.

/ Decarbonizing GDI Engines.... #137  
Yes, it is, but the intake was obviously loaded with blowby crap. Interestingly, I pulled the old plugs and installed new ones after I 'douched' the intake with Sea Foam and the plugs were very clean. From the amount of smoke from the tailpipe, I'd say it was overdue. Waiting on a new PCV and intake gasket set. Then Ill pull the intake (when the gaskets arrive) and take some pictures if the intake ports on the runner side....

Yes, it is, but the intake was obviously loaded with blowby crap. Interestingly, I pulled the old plugs and installed new ones after I 'douched' the intake with Sea Foam and the plugs were very clean. From the amount of smoke from the tailpipe, I'd say it was overdue. Waiting on a new PCV and intake gasket set. Then Ill pull the intake (when the gaskets arrive) and take some pictures if the intake ports on the runner side....

The Seafoam would have probably cleaned up those plugs a bit - still, fresh plugs are always nice, IIRC you have a few miles on the Transit.

Looking forward to some pics of the intake off, and how things pan out with your separator installation.

Rgds, D.