Deciding between HST & Power-Reverser

/ Deciding between HST & Power-Reverser #11  
I tried a 25 HP HST compact. It was miserable. Low range was fine. Medium range was OK for most tasks but the tractor still struggled to climb hills. High range was unusable. So I took it back and got the same tractor with 40 HP and HST. It’s much much better but still not perfect. Can’t climb hills in high range with the loader on the front and a box blade on the back. Medium range is barely enough power to pull the grader up a gravel road that’s hilly. But overall I typically have enough power to do whatever.

Before all this we had a 30 HP gear drive compact that would pull a house down. It NEVER ran out of power.

But with all that being said, the HST is sooooooo nice to use around the property. I love the way it operates and would likely not trade it for gear drive ever again.

/ Deciding between HST & Power-Reverser #12  
This has already been alluded to but in my opinion it's sort of more important how the speed ranges are geared, than whether or not its HST. Any HST in its lowest range ought to be able to spin all 4 tires before stalling the engine. The question becomes whether medium range (or ranges) is too tall to comfortably do hard work in. It's kind of a question of ergonomics.

An HST with 2 speed ranges is likely to force you to switch back and forth a lot.
An HST with 3 speed ranges is probably ok to do most things in medium range, but if that medium range is geared just a bit too tall it's going to make the thing a PITA to operate (shifting all the time) or it will feel weak.

How you shift the speed range is also a factor. For example, the 3-range shifter on my B8200 is harder to use than either of the shifters on my clutch-and-gears B6100. When i bump into a pile of dirt with my loader bucket, i can probably shift to 1st and Low on the B6100 faster than i can shift the ONE range shifter on my B8200. So the HST isn't saving me any time there UNLESS I can push into that pile in medium range!

So finding out what each tractor's 'medium' range and range shifter feel like, is a bigger question to me than HST vs gear. Just my .02.

/ Deciding between HST & Power-Reverser #13  
Have you seen or checked out these tractors???

willy

/ Deciding between HST & Power-Reverser #14  
For me, the tiller would not work without the HST. Gear drive is way to fast

/ Deciding between HST & Power-Reverser #16  
I would never buy a gear drive tractor unless I was predominately down ground engagement task which I’m not. HST is so much more convenient for doing general chores. Just get enough HP for the job. If you buy one of the underpowered 24hp models that only exist because the EPA forced them to, than of course it’s going to suck.

/ Deciding between HST & Power-Reverser #17  
So I have been looking at new tractors and getting closer to my decision as far as manufacturer. I currently have a 12 x 12 shuttle shift. I have tested some new tractors this month and I never thought I would say, I am leaning towards HST. They have come a long ways and are smooth and easy to operate. I have also tested the power-reverser and they are nice as well (no more clutching).

My biggest concern is losing power to the ground with HST but I really like the idea of not having to use a gear drive, even a power-reverser.

Main Tasks (16 acres):

1. Grabbing and moving logs, limbs and brush with Grapple.
2. Moving gravel and dirt around
3. Lots of grading. Still building lawn areas on property.
4. Tilling small 1/2 acre garden.
5. Maintaining 1/4 mile drive.
6. Bush Hogging a couple of acres.

My property is somewhat hilly and tractor will be going up and down. My current gear drive handles it no problem. Is the HST going to struggle? I am worried I am going to lose power to the ground with HST.

I know this topic has been beat to death on here but what are your toughts and opinions again on this subject?

Thanks
Late to the game here but I might add that safety is a factor in considering gear versus hydro. I was moving some logs along the creek bank last week and having to maneuver in tight spaces on the slope, it occurred to me that the hydro is safer in tight quarters. You have instant feathered control of forward and reverse which tends to act as inherent braking when needed.

/ Deciding between HST & Power-Reverser #18  
Top speed in 1rst gear on my tractor is a maximum of 1 mph at full throttle.
I run a 6' King Kutter II tiller on my 35HP gear drive and tills great
Same here.

Matter of fact, I even run it in 2nd and 3rd gear, low range, depending on the ground. Tills great. Never had any issues of going too fast with a gear tractor.

/ Deciding between HST & Power-Reverser #19  
The only downsides to the HST I have found is if you are on hilly ground an HST won't hold speed on a grade like a geared transmission will, up or down. Down being the biggest problem, I have to ride the brakes when mowing down my 15 to 20% grades making the cruise control somewhat useless. . Other than that I like it for everything else.
Why not use the hydrostat as your brake. It's much more efficient.

/ Deciding between HST & Power-Reverser #20  
I have two tractors, one hydro and one power shift with a reverser. I use the hydrostatic tractor for about everything except if I'm using a ground engaging implement like a disc or plow. My place is on a hill, so yes, if driving in high range with the hydro tractor, it'll be a bit sluggish.