Deciding between HST & Power-Reverser

/ Deciding between HST & Power-Reverser #21  
Have you seen or checked out these tractors???

willy
I love that transmission in my tractor. You'll never want any other, once you set it up to your liking. I learned really quick with being efficient when I was having to move over 200 IBC totes to process for firewood storage. I have used clutch twice in the 51 hours that I've used it,...and the funniest thing about it, is that I didn't even need to. Other than the questionable steering under load,...it's a great machine.

/ Deciding between HST & Power-Reverser #23  
Top speed in 1rst gear on my tractor is a maximum of 1 mph at full throttle.
I run a 6' King Kutter II tiller on my 35HP gear drive and tills great
I used to run a tiller on a gear tractor. It got the job done, but low gear was often still too high. I did a lot of stop/start. With my HST machine I can be nearly stopped and still tilling.

/ Deciding between HST & Power-Reverser #24  
I used to run a tiller on a gear tractor. It got the job done, but low gear was often still too high. I did a lot of stop/start. With my HST machine I can be nearly stopped and still tilling.
Can't say I ever had that issue.
My gear drive runs my tiller just fine.

/ Deciding between HST & Power-Reverser #25  
One thing to keep in mind with HST is engine RPM is everything...
Exactly. Operate an HST like you would a Bobcat or an excavator. Really, it's the same principle. You aren't turning a drive train as much as you are powering a hydraulic pump. The only thing that is absolutely engine speed dependent is the PTO speed.

/ Deciding between HST & Power-Reverser #26  
I thought I'd want a gear drive after growing up on them on the farm. I test drove a few TYM HST models and was sold. I have a 4-range hydro which gives me indefinite speeds. High range is really transport speed. I generally work in 2-3 ranges. Low range is probably 1/2 mile per hour at PTO speed? It's nuts. The cruise control is nice for field work, as is the auto throttle... I set the throttle to my desired minimum, sort of nice for a unit with DPF, then the engine RPM follows pedal displacement after that. Really nice feature.

/ Deciding between HST & Power-Reverser #27  
Thins to consider. A hydro is a hydraulic drive it consists of a pump and a motor. Being a hydraulic unit they take more power and fuel than a gear drive. Since it is a hydraulic drive there is a limit it can work often controlled by a relief valve. If you operate in a higher gear the unit can 'stall', this can be overcome by shifting to a lower gear. A hydro transmission is made of a lot of carefully machined parts. Which means if needing repair they can get expensive. Yes they are handy as they are infinitively variable and easy to shift forward to reverse. More expensive than a gear drive.

A gear drive usually will not fail but may take a clutch replacement, depending on useage. They also provide more power to the wheels and less fuel consumption. Depending on make and model the PTO can be a pain if it is transmission driven. Cheaper than a hydro.

In the end you have to consider what you want out of the tractor, and which option suits your preferences.