Deer Corn vs. Feed Corn

/ Deer Corn vs. Feed Corn #21  
I don't believe the hype about GMO being bad for food. Basically everything living has thru natural selection been modified over thousands of years. What the scientist are doing is just speeding up the process so we can feed our hungry world more efficiently. I put this GMO BS in the same category as Al Gore and global warming. It amazes me that folks with little knowledge on a particular subject can convince the World that something bad is happening and it is humans fault when actually it is just Mother Nature having a laugh at us. The internet has made fools of lots of folks who believe that anything they read there is fact. News networks aren't a whole lot better.

/ Deer Corn vs. Feed Corn #22  
I'm not going to say this is a lie. I have no idea what these chemicals are doing to people. I'm far from being a scientist but, all these chemicals used for growing food and the animals we eat has to have some effect on the human body. Just like years ago, lead that was used in paint and drinking water pipes . No one though back then that lead would harm you. Now , we know that lead is bad for you in your lead drinking water pipes and paint. These chemical companies have BIG $$$ and can have anything suppressed . Like big tobacco. Years the info about smoking was probably there , just suppressed by big tobacco $$$. Years ago we were using things ( chemicals, etc, ) that, today are banned because they were bad for the environment or humans ... I've been in plumbing /HVAC for many yrs. I have wrapped pipe with asbestos for insulation, there are asbestos cement pipes that I have used for venting furnaces/ boilers. Today,, this stuff is very bad for you...1 day after most of us are gone, it will come to light that, these chemicals for growing food and live stock was/is bad for us

Last edited:
   / Deer Corn vs. Feed Corn #23  
GMO seems to be something people get crazy about because they don't understand it. It's not chemical, it's a modification of the plant genetically. It's just a quicker and more powerful way to do what we've done for thousands of years with breeding and hybridization. Essentially every plant we grow today has been genetically modified from anything that ever occurred in nature.

/ Deer Corn vs. Feed Corn #24  
GMO seems to be something people get crazy about because they don't understand it. It's not chemical, it's a modification of the plant genetically. It's just a quicker and more powerful way to do what we've done for thousands of years with breeding and hybridization. Essentially every plant we grow today has been genetically modified from anything that ever occurred in nature.

Not really. GM techniques insert material into plants that would never happen naturally. GM grains like corn are not just corn, they are corn plus DNA from some other organism. Selectively breeding two corn strains results in 100% corn. It may be taller, shorter, drought tolerant, faster maturity, larger ears, etc., but it is 100% corn.

/ Deer Corn vs. Feed Corn #25  
it would be a great idea to insert milkcow into corn, that way we would have to butter it

/ Deer Corn vs. Feed Corn #27  
sorry my bad "wouldn"t":ashamed:

/ Deer Corn vs. Feed Corn #28  
We lease nearly 2000 acres and have about 50 members. Up until 5 years ago no one on our lease baited (deer corn).

Instead of blaming the corn for what you are seeing in the deer you are shooting, I would look at an over population of deer as the problem. If you have enough deer on 2000 acres to support 50 guns, there must be a lot of deer on very little land. It's no wonder they are eating the corn, they have probably run out of native foods to eat and the entire heard is getting ready to crash from overpopulation!!!!

I saw this happen in Idaho back in the 90's when the heard lost 90 percent of the animals in Southeast Idaho. It went from a deer everywhere you looked to nothing. One year we where letting nice 4x4 bucks go every day, the next year we only saw a couple small bucks all week.

Blaming the corn for this doesn't make any sense at all.

Eddie

/ Deer Corn vs. Feed Corn #29  
It's a logical fallacy called "post hoc, ergo propter hoc" or "after this, therefore because of this".

/ Deer Corn vs. Feed Corn #30  
I would propose that GMO corn is just as much corn as any other until you put another name on it. If you look at the Teosinte plant that apparently was the source of corn, it looks more like coarse wheat heads than corn. Corn as we know would never have existed if man had not bred it. Just like most of the fruit we have - our apples can't grow from seeds. Nature would never produce a grapple (grape apple hybrid).

An interesting point - most GMO corn (which is most US corn) is altered to produce Bt bacteria - a pesticide. It's a naturally occurring pesticide. Because it's naturally occurring is can be - and it regularly - applied to organic crops as a "natural" pest control. However, when the plant is altered to produce it we label it GMO and try to scare everyone.

There are concerns about GMO crops - specifically if they will accelerate the development of resistant pests. This is why regulations require a non-GMO sacrificial crop to be grown with the GMO to maintain a non-resistant population. Time will tell how effective this is.

For a really interesting discussion of the development of agriculture and crop breeding I suggest "Guns, Germs and Steel" by Jared Diamond. It's an interesting view of how civilization developes.