Deer Hunting Jacket Color Advice needed

/ Deer Hunting Jacket Color Advice needed #11  
Now don't get me wrong on this, I have heard plenty of deer, but every time I have heard sustained noises made by an unseen source, it was another hunter. The key there is sustained. Deer are just better at moving though the woods than people.

I guess "our" deer have not learned to be quiet. :laughing::laughing::laughing: I hear them all of the time. There is a difference in their sound vs a tree rat vs a person though. The other night I heard a fox yelping really close to the house. It woke me up so I went out side to see, well, hear how close it was to the chicken coop. The fox was to the NNW. There were three sets of deer moving to the N, SSE and SSW. Dang noisy they are. :D:D:D

There were two hunters shot in my county getting close to a decade ago. Both men were hunting and walking to their stands before dawn. One was seriously injured. The other man was killed. Both men were shot by other "hunters" who just shot at the sound of the men walking. There was a women who was shot and killed in her back yard, maybe 15 years ago in Wake county. She lived in what is now, but even then, was a pretty densely populated town. She was working in her yard wearing white gloves when she was "mistaken" for a deer, shot and killed.

In both of these cases, the two killers got off with a slap on the wrist, at least criminally. Frankly, I think they should still be in prison. There was a similar shooting up in the mountains a few years ago.

Today, there was a large amount of shooting to our ENE and ESE. I was doing some yard work that should have been done months ago otherwise I would have walked to our eastern line to make sure the shooting was not on or into our land. I don't think it was but it was danged close. I swear the shooting to the ESE was a results of the shooting to the ENE. Who ever was shooting was spending quite a few dollars. :D

Later,
Dan

Last edited:
   / Deer Hunting Jacket Color Advice needed #12  
The camo is overrated. For years hunters went out in red flannel coat and jeans and whatnot and they filled their tickets without looking like a tree.

I hunted successfully in Kangaroo duster, jeans, green sweater, you name it.

+1 for Duluth Trading Company, they got some nice parkas.

/ Deer Hunting Jacket Color Advice needed #13  
The reason camo works is because it visually breaks up the image of the wearer. Plaid wool hunting jackets are both quiet and disrupt the visual pattern. Colours like black, gray, green, tan etc all will work. If you are going to put a blaze orange vest over the top the camo efffect is lost anyway. We can only use camo for deer during the archery season here so most of my deer hunting clothing is warm, quiet, dull (no shiny fabrics) and in colours like loden and black.

/ Deer Hunting Jacket Color Advice needed #14  
I have always worn tan, brown, green for hunting. Camo certainly works otherwise the military would not us it. The new patterns are supposed to be very effective. On the other hand, I am still amazed at how deer blend into the woods. Deer in my area are light brown for summer and then their coat turns darker, almost black on there back. You can look right at them and if they do not move you can easily miss them. Years ago I was walking though a clearing and two young bucks ran from behind me into the woods. I am not sure they saw me at the time because once they got into the shaded dark woods they just kinda stayed in one spot but they did not look in my direction.

I stood there watching them and the chiggers climbing my pants. The clothes were treated with Permethrin and I was watching to see how long the chiggers would stay or die. :laughing: Each leg had hit a nest of chiggers so there were hundreds of chiggers moving up my legs. :shocked::cool2: I watched the chiggers and the deer. If I had not known the deer were in that exact spot in the woods, I never would have seen them.

Oh, yeah, the chiggers died. :thumbsup::laughing::laughing::laughing:

I figure if these colors work for the deer they work for me. Plus, the camo is expensive and what I have is quiet and paid for. :D:D:D

Later,
Dan

/ Deer Hunting Jacket Color Advice needed #16  
During gun season in NY it is mandatory to wear 1 squre foot of Blaze orange so you can be seen. Most hunters here wear orange vests or orange hats.

/ Deer Hunting Jacket Color Advice needed #17  
During gun season in NY it is mandatory to wear 1 squre foot of Blaze orange so you can be seen. Most hunters here wear orange vests or orange hats.
Really,since when?I do not believe that law passed,common sense ,YES,but not law.

/ Deer Hunting Jacket Color Advice needed #18  
I think cammo clothing for deer hunting is way over rated. Don't move and be quiet works just as good. I frequently see deer in my woods before they see me. If I just slowly move up against a tree and hold still, most of the times the deer will walk right past and not even notice me. Most folks around here now use tree stands when hunting, or those pop-up ground tents. Either one of those is almost cheaper than cammo clothing. Personally, I would invest in a good tree stand or ground tent and an orange jacket.

/ Deer Hunting Jacket Color Advice needed #20  
Around here just about the only foul weather gear we can get is camo.

It is actually cheaper to get camo than anything else. Of course deer season is just at the start of the rainy season, and by elk season it is snowing almost every day in the high country. We need hunting clothes that we can stay out all day in the rain & snow.