Deer Hunting Jacket Color Advice needed

/ Deer Hunting Jacket Color Advice needed #21  
In MO, "cap or hat & also a shirt, vest or coat of hunter orange so that the color is plainly visible from all sides. Camouflage orange does not satisfy this requirement."

/ Deer Hunting Jacket Color Advice needed #22  
IMO scent is much more important than camo etc...

A deer's sense of smell is much better than their sense of sight...

A deer approaching from an up-wind position is much more likely not to notice you (if you remain still)...deer that can smell you will rarely if ever get any closer...I guarantee anyone that has spent time in the deer woods has heard then snort and heard them run the other way without ever seeing the deer...however if the wind is right they can walk right past a tree etc. you are using for cover...

There is an old saying..."Deer think most hunters are stumps...but turkeys think most stumps are hunters"...(turkeys have very poor senses of smell)

Personally I do not keep my hunting gear/clothes anywhere near where they can pick up human scents...I keep them in a pine box with things like green pine cones etc...I only launder them with baking soda and air dry (no fabric softener sheets etc.)

a few other scent related tips...

The key to using attractant scents etc. is to place them in a position that is in a clear shooting lane but also in a position that is not effected by the wind carrying your own scent...

Socks/Boots...use baking soda in your boots...if you use waterproofing etc. on your boots apply it several weeks (or longer) before your hunt(s)...animal urine or skunk scent can help offset the smell of boots/smelly feet etc...

Zinc supplements will greatly reduce your need for any deodorant etc...

Don't take salami (etc.) sandwiches to your stand...

A small squeeze (puffer) bottle with odorless talcum powder will keep you constantly aware of air movement direction...

/ Deer Hunting Jacket Color Advice needed #23  
It is funny how every area has it's own techinques and challenges for deer hunting, might have to try the heated blind with the color tv technique over looking the feeder that you can drive to technique someday. Here warm and dry is paramount and like Curley Dave said for dry warm gear unless it is commercial fishing gear(usually bright orange and noisy) the best deals to be found are usually camo something.(sierra trading post is a good source) I had to chuckle when you mentioned talc powder /pine to read the wind, a calm day here is 15/20 knots and a lot of my hunting is done when it is too rough to fish so generally not getting knocked over by the wind is more of a problem than reading it:laughing:

/ Deer Hunting Jacket Color Advice needed
I have been wanting to try a the 'soft shell fleece' jackets, so i decided to buy one of the Rothco jackets in Olive Green.. We will see how it work out..

Hopefully this, coupled with a fleece liner, will keep me warm during the colder weather..

thanks for all the thoughts and advice

brian

/ Deer Hunting Jacket Color Advice needed #25  
IMO scent is much more important than camo etc...

I agree. I recall finding that out about 20+ years ago. I pulled our old GMC 3/4 ton pickup onto our rolling field and saw a HUGE buck on the other side. I wanted to make him run, so I revved the 454 a few times. That only seemed to make him curious, and he started walking towards the truck! After he went behind a hill, I hopped out and scurried over to a brush pile. I started rattling the branches a bit, and he kept peeking over the hill, as he skirted it. He wanted a fight, I think. Every time his head popped up, he was closer. Finally, he was probably 40-50 years away, looking at that brush pile that kept rattling, when I felt a breeze come across my back directly towards the deer. About 4-5 seconds later, his head and ears picked up, he whipped around and bolted away as fast as could be. It was pretty interesting, to say the least.

/ Deer Hunting Jacket Color Advice needed #26  
I wear a cabelas orange vest over camo and I use a flash light when walking in at dark periodically. I have deer walk by me all the time. They pick up on movement more than anything you have to sit still and not move your head around to fast. Now if I could just figure out how to get out there and not scare of the big boys I would be alright

/ Deer Hunting Jacket Color Advice needed #27  
...a calm day here is 15/20 knots...

Hunting in those conditions would be a new education... here when it's blowing that hard the deer are usually laying down...they lose their ability to hear well...

Also, with that hard of a blow here in thick, steep woods it is not really safe to even be in the woods for fear of getting clobbered with falling branches etc...

Here in the mountains on calm days there is usually some convection flow and it is constantly changing direction...thus the powder... small, puffy feathers work well too...

...I started rattling the branches a bit, and he kept peeking over the hill, as he skirted it. He wanted a fight...

I think you are right...

It can be amazing what hunters (or anyone that wants to just sit in the woods and observe) can see that most (non-hunting) folks will never encounter...

sometimes making a loud noise (whistle etc.) will stop a running deer in it's tracks...they are certainly curious when they can't smell what has their attention...

/ Deer Hunting Jacket Color Advice needed #28  
Really,since when?I do not believe that law passed,common sense ,YES,but not law.

I admit I was wrong in stating that. I actually thought it was the law that you had to wear it during gun season. Hunting in the state land you would be a fool not being as visible as possible though. I and my son hunt on my property and we wear orange just in case some of the others wander on my posted land and get over anxious looking for deer. I was misstaken Birdman and thanks for bringing that to my attention...