Buying Advice Deere 1026R...can't go wrong

/ Deere 1026R...can't go wrong #21  
Mighty nice improvements. If you ever doubted these companies pay attention to what customers are saying, both praise and gripes, all you have to do is look at these improvements. Although I like the orange brand, being a long time owner and all, Deere has raised the bar in the subcompact category and if I were shopping today, it would be hard to walk away from that green one.

I wouldn't expect Kubota to sit back and let JD have the advantage for very long, though. Too much at stake. I appreciate having several well-managed outfits competing for the business. We get better products that way.

Here is my assessment of Kubota, they have gotten slow and bloated and have built up too much internal competition between their model lineup and have completely ignored the external market forces. Put simply they have too many tractors at too many price points with a very careful structure of subtle features differences to justify the models. Making a competitive tractor upsets this business model.

They should reduce the number of models and increase the features while holding the line on prices as best they can. There is a economy of scale that will allow cost cutting that can't be implemented with the shear number of models. Kubota has four BX models vs. two JD 1000 series. The B series has eight vs. three in the JD 2000 series. Little things like alternators, on the B series the standard alternator is 20A and you have to upgrade to the 40A. When shopping you have to be aware of these issues, especially when buying from dealer inventory.

/ Deere 1026R...can't go wrong #22  
I liked the 1026R a lot, and it was high on my list; some of my few dislikes were the plastic body parts, low ground clearance, lame fuel gauge, and vulnerable fuel tank location. But the smart features (and seat) get an A+ for sure.

Speaking of JD vs.Kubota, to me the real comparison is what you can get for even money -- you can step into a compact B series for about the same money as the Deere sub-compact. There's no question the 1023/1026 are some of the best sub-compacts right now, but the pricing definitely reflects that!

Best price I got on the 1026R+H120 was $14700, and it was a no-brainer for me to step up to a B2620 for the same price, and ultimately a B2920 for $15400.

/ Deere 1026R...can't go wrong #23  
Here is my assessment of Kubota, they have gotten slow and bloated and have built up too much internal competition between their model lineup and have completely ignored the external market forces. Put simply they have too many tractors at too many price points with a very careful structure of subtle features differences to justify the models. Making a competitive tractor upsets this business model.

They should reduce the number of models and increase the features while holding the line on prices as best they can. There is a economy of scale that will allow cost cutting that can't be implemented with the shear number of models. Kubota has four BX models vs. two JD 1000 series. The B series has eight vs. three in the JD 2000 series. Little things like alternators, on the B series the standard alternator is 20A and you have to upgrade to the 40A. When shopping you have to be aware of these issues, especially when buying from dealer inventory.

I think this is reasonable advice, but right now they are killing Deere on market share under 40HP. So whether you like the way they do business or not, you can't argue with success.

/ Deere 1026R...can't go wrong #24  
I think this is reasonable advice, but right now they are killing Deere on market share under 40HP. So whether you like the way they do business or not, you can't argue with success.

They shouldn't be watching JD, they should be watching Kioti, Mahindra and Jinma too. Never underestimate the American consumers ability to save 2% on a purchase and send another job to China.

/ Deere 1026R...can't go wrong #25  

Choices are always good, but not so many from one brand. Just like when GM shut its doors on Hummer, Pontiac, Saturn and Olds (though a little before the others). Having too much of the same product is never a good thing. Though their prices are more competitive than Deere, more people are starting to realize there are more brands than those two. I think having all of these very similar models, with marginal upgrades is going to hurt Kubota in the long run. More overhead is not always a good thing. Although for GM most of the difference was just badges it was too much, and you can offer what the different models have in upgrades. I think they will eventually find a more basic route, but it is working for them - currently.

Another thing on a similar rant is that I wish Kubota would make a simpler naming system. JD's 1-9xxx series is super simpler. Kubota needs to figure something else out because all of the letters and numbers are very confusing, at least too me.

/ Deere 1026R...can't go wrong #26  
Another thing on a similar rant is that I wish Kubota would make a simpler naming system. JD's 1-9xxx series is super simpler. Kubota needs to figure something else out because all of the letters and numbers are very confusing, at least too me.

The first letter is fairly clear but the numbers within the series are confusing.

Here is a good example in the auto industry that compares to quarter-inching vs. position control. Electric power windows; a couple of decades ago power windows were a luxury feature and the basic models has the old fashion manual crank registers. As expectation rose the manufacturers started to trickle this feature down. Now that all but the most basic model had the power window it actually becomes more expensive to engineer and manufacture a penalty manual crank window when the power version is so cheap due to volume.

Now you adding cost to base model as a penalty in the hopes of moving some people up the next model. The first company do say hey, we have power windows on everything has delivered more for less and raised the bar for the rest. It is far to easy to get complacent in a competitive industry.

/ Deere 1026R...can't go wrong #27  
Here is my assessment of Kubota, etc.

Easy, there, kemo sabe. Sorry if you felt the need to go on offense by detailing what you perceive to be wrong with Kubota. Was not trying to start a brand debate here.

The guy just got a new tractor. I was just trying to tell him how nice it was.

/ Deere 1026R...can't go wrong #29  
Don't know why a guy getting a very nice new tractor on which many Kubota owners congratulated him on had to turn into yet ANOTHER John Deere v Kubota thing.

/ Deere 1026R...can't go wrong #30  
Don't know why a guy getting a very nice new tractor on which many Kubota owners congratulated him on had to turn into yet ANOTHER John Deere v Kubota thing.

Usually because some Kubota guy comes and says Kubota is better than JD, I am looking at you Eagle107. I guess the real funny thing is Eagle107 has a New Holland.