Comparison Deere, Deere or Kubota?

/ Deere, Deere or Kubota? #11  
The 5D is utility size, a much larger heavier tractor than the 4005. With a 553 loader the difference in lift cap. is quite a bit. I just went through the, do I really need 4WD thing myself. I have had a few CUTS, and for me I just found them too compact, and light weight. In the past I have undersized equipment in an attempt to save money, and been unhappy with the results each time. It's a personal thing. I need the lift cap. much more than the maneuverability, of the CUT. I was able to find a 5055E w/553 rental return with 30hrs for about $25,000. I felt I was getting a lot of bang for the buck, compaired to other machines in that price range.
You seem to know what your needs are. I would suggest taking your time and look around.

Best, Bill

/ Deere, Deere or Kubota? #12  
I know I'm not in the size of these tractors yet, but another thing you have to consider is service and parts. I own a Deere right now, and have looked at other models including Kubota, Koti, New Holland, etc. I have always grown up a JD fan but have come to realize they come with a higher price tag. I read a lot of good things about Kubotas and can find used tractors for really good prices. What keeps me with a Deere, besides my lifelong dedication to them, is that I have a dealership 3 mins from my house. I go in, order a part, and it's there the next day. The closest Kubota or small tractor dealership for these other brands is 45-60+ mins away from me. The extra cost of a Deere is justified to me because I can easily get parts and dont have to travel out of my way to get them. Something to think about!

/ Deere, Deere or Kubota? #13  
Thanks for all the replies. I thought getting a new tractor would be easy and I thought I had done my homework at least with the JD's but the more I look at the options the more complicated it becomes. When I first talked to our local JD dealer I was thinking I wouldn't get the loader but have since changed my mind. He quoted me a "special" price of $16949 for the 5055d and $18149 for the 4005. Those prices were without the loader. So, for $1200 I guess what I'm trying to decide is if the trade off for less HP with the 4005 but FWD is a good choice for my purposes. For $24099 I can add a Frontier 5' rotary cutter and 300cx Loader on the 4005. I haven't asked for any other prices yet so I'm not sure what the package deal will be for the 5055D. Will be going to nearby Kubota dealer tomorrow or Friday.

I think you will find the 4005 to be a much smaller lighter tractor than you are used to. While it might be a little better mowing around the trees it won't be better at any of the higher tractive needs you might have. I would give more consideration to the 5055D and preference to the 5055E if the package prices will fit your budget. I would also consider a similarly equipped Kubota package too but I am more familiar with the Deere offerings. Rereading this thread I would suggest you get with your dealer and get the package pricing for the various models to better aid in making a decision.

/ Deere, Deere or Kubota? #14  
So you are stating a comparable 55HP machine from vendor X or Y is $10K less than a John Deere or Kubota similarly equipped? Well that's possible but it would be interesting to hear your actual pricing/buying experience.

I was in the market last year for a 45 hp fully featured compact tractor last year, with a cab. HST, two rear remotes, loader, brush hog, tiller, loader forks, toothbar, etc. I looked at almost everything out there, and fianally narrowed my short list to Kubota Grand L 40 series, Massey Ferguson 1600 series, and Kioti DE45SE. The quotes for the Kubota and Massey in my area were almost exactly $10K more than the Kioti, which had a free loader deal at the time. Given the difference, it was a no-brainer. And yes, I compared equivalent configurations and equal quality implements - very much apples to apples - and all good dealers as well.

/ Deere, Deere or Kubota? #15  
A Deere 4520 was $8000 more than a Kubota 5240 and $16000 more than my DK50SE when I was looking.

So you are stating a comparable 55HP machine from vendor X or Y is $10K less than a John Deere or Kubota similarly equipped? Well that's possible but it would be interesting to hear your actual pricing/buying experience.

I can understand if one is lightly used and low hours but steel is steel, and in a global market its real difficult to make any money being $10K under the others and stick around for the long term.

/ Deere, Deere or Kubota? #16  
A Deere 4520 was $8000 more than a Kubota 5240 and $16000 more than my DK50SE when I was looking.

Well, guys all I can say is wow, I am surprised that there is that much variance between suppliers. I know some "new" dealers will be aggressive to win business, and others have a high volume maybe more buying power and lower margins.

I imagine the bigger dealer of JD Kubota get sales and traffic based on name/reputation so is less likely to match or lower their price. It appears Kioti are like the Hyundai/Equs brand and Kubota/JD is like the Lexus/Cadillac..

/ Deere, Deere or Kubota? #17  
I am bias on this but i would take a look at the new Yanmars.:confused3:

/ Deere, Deere or Kubota? #18  
I think it partly depends on how entrenched the dealer is (how long they've been in business) and how hungry he is. Many times prices are different depending on the location. I would suggest going to all the dealers within reasonable distance, trying out the tractors which are about the right size and features, deciding which ones fit best as to purpose and operation (how they fit you), and which dealers seem best. Then start getting quotes and narrowing down the list, making sure that all the needed/wanted features are included. Results could be surprising.

In my case, I had to drive a loop of about 150 miles to try out most tractors, because the local dealers didn't have any cabbbed models in stock. I was very surprised by the results, as some I thought I wanted didn't fit, and one I just knew wouldn't fit made it to the short list.

/ Deere, Deere or Kubota? #19  

Wow so did you buy a Kioto DK50SE cab for $18,000 to $20,000? That would be a good price.:thumbsup: