Deere Hydraulics - my 5055e a Lemon

/ Deere Hydraulics - my 5055e a Lemon #11  
Jd110 has commented about it on GTT. IIRC, it is something in the rocksaft assembly bypassing oil and getting hot. I thought he said there was a fix for it.

Sounds as if the 3 pt control valve or possibly the scv isn't going into neutral therefore causing the relief or lower valve to be partially open & having high pressure oil forced through said valve.

/ Deere Hydraulics - my 5055e a Lemon #12  
I have not had any such problem and have done quite a bit of 3PH work (brush hogging and plowing two bottom land plows) with mine. But I still have less then 200 hours on the machine so can't feel totaly free of this potential problem.
It sounds like they have an assembly or parts problem that is causing the over heating of the rear end casting that the fuel tank sets on. The question is what did the factory do wrong or what part is wrong and how many tractors got built wrong or with a defective part. With the internet bringing together all owners to a common access point a major problem will generate lots of responces very quickly.

/ Deere Hydraulics - my 5055e a Lemon
Please keep us posted on the outcome. This is puzzling. Have you tried to figure out what the heck is going on? When you say "use your rear hydraulics" to mow, what are you attaching? A hydraulic mower? Or just a raise and lower system?

5 foot disc mower. Nothing fancy, just use the rear hydraulics to raise & lower.

Tried to figure out? It is covered by warranty. I am not going to do anything lest I get blamed. Point is that this has occurred every time I use the rear hydraulics. 3 times in 4 months. My boots actually melted. Unfortunately the temperature gauge does not pick up excessive heat in hydraulics, so no warning.

How about tackling the cause rather than the symptom?

What do you mean tackle the cause rather then the symptom? I have had it in the shop 3 times in 4 months. The valves get stuck, the oil boils, everything plastic melts. Who knows what permanent damage to the hydraulic pump, or other components from boiling hydraulic oil. In the mean time I have spent close to 1k on work that should be covered under warranty.

I bought a Deere because I thought they had a quality product. I should be able to work the hydraulics all day long without melting the fuel tank.

I have not had any such problem and have done quite a bit of 3PH work (brush hogging and plowing two bottom land plows) with mine. But I still have less then 200 hours on the machine so can't feel totaly free of this potential problem.

I never had a problem with the 3PH. This year was the first time I used the rear hydraulics (i.e. plugged into rear). The disc mower can be raised and lowered with the 3PH, or using rear hydraulics. The first time I mowed the fuel tank completely melted and the diesel smoked. Fortunately diesel does not easily ignite. Next two times I noticed my boots melting to the belly, so shut it down immediately. In both instances the fuel tank melted partially and was compromised.

I am concerned that the machine has sustained damage, and that once I am no longer under warranty it will become a money pit. Deere needs to stand behind their products. It is a concern.

Thanks for the post. I will do the follow up search.

They do believe the hydraulic valve gets jammed and the oil get boiling hot. At some point I am sure they will blame me, but I suspect it is a defective design.

At this point I am concerned that I bought a money pit rather then a quality machine.

/ Deere Hydraulics - my 5055e a Lemon #17  
Can someone explain how the driveshaft cover could melt IF it is a hydraulic oil temperture problem? Is it the end near the transmission or the whole driveshaft? I have a 5065e (MFWD) built October 2012 and I took delivery June 13, 2013. I have 41 hours on it with mostly 3 pt hitch work bush-hogging and disc harrow work, in addition to loader work. No problems whatsoever. Wonder if my machine had the fix before it was built? I have seen corrosion on the metal filler neck of fuel tank (below threads) and also the chain that connects plastic cap to filler neck. I removed the chain and wiped off rust and thinking about coating the bottom of the metal threaded neck with grease to prevent oxidation. Any ideas? But no other issues with fuel tank

Rear end only. I'll post pictures when I was visit the dealership.

/ Deere Hydraulics - my 5055e a Lemon #19  
I'm interested to see what happens for you here. I just bought a new 5075E, so I hope I do not have similar issues.

I've always noticed that the transmission between my feet on my open station 5103 got pretty warm when I was shredding for long hours. Never hot enough to melt any rubber on my soles, etc., but warmer than I would have expected. I did not, however, have any rear SCV's on that machine. I will have 2 on my new 5075.

Hope they can get this figured out for you! :thumbsup:

/ Deere Hydraulics - my 5055e a Lemon #20  
Not bashing Green, got to much of it. I think it is time to start talking to a lawyer. Something is wrong and it is not right for JD to charge you for repairs. I can see the pick up and delivery charge, but charging for a JD created defect in design is over the top.