Deutz not running well

/ Deutz not running well #1  

woodlandfarms

Tractor
PowerTrac 1850, Kubota RTV x900
OK, so been on the phone with Terry, and with Deutz, but wanted to post here.

Filled the tractor, and parked it outside late last week. We had a big cold / snow storm. Tried to start it yesterday, wouldn't catch, Put a heater on it and tried it again yesterday and it caught, but it runs terrible. Throttle does not work at all, it is blowing white smoke. Removed and cleaned strainer, removed and replaced fuel filter.

Deutz mechanic says he needs to see it, could run from a broken throttle spring to a injector / fuel pump issue to a slipped timing belt to....

My neighbor, who is s diesel mechanic, but not a Deutz mechanic, is coming up to take a look.

Thoughts

/ Deutz not running well #2  
White smoke is usually unburned diesel.
Causes:
  • Blown injector
  • Blown ring
  • Blown head gasket
Given the history, I would start at the injectors. You might have had something freeze in the diesel in an injector, or have broken some crud loose in the cold snap. It is also possible that the fuel distributor got scratched up/blown for the same reason.

I once saw a garbage truck blown an injector at a green light. It was spectacular. Clouds of thick white smoke, worse than fog erupted as soon as the driver accelerated. The truck pulled over and died about half a block away.

I hope it is something simple.

All the best,

Peter

/ Deutz not running well
Yeah, will pull injectors this weekend. Talked to the deutz guys, no one is sure but they have said I need to check the timing. I guess from what I hear Deutz can slip a tooth when it is really cold out.

/ Deutz not running well #4  
Definitely look at the injectors. I got to see a Deutz out of a Bobcat that had a stuck open injector at work this week. They thought the problem was going to be a head gasket.
Cylinder wall was scored, some of the top of the piston gone exposing the rings, Really ugly. Might not be your problem, but that is something I would want to avoid. Deutz parts are crazy expensive.

/ Deutz not running well
Holy Crap. Rozet? I am from Powell, I remember Rozet. All nothing of it. Still a nice area but.... Wasn't there one guy who owned the town?

ANyway, Lots going on. Was going to try and move the tractor but there is a new surprise. the temp has not been much above 25 so I can't get the brake release pump to work. That was a stunner for sure. So I will build a work tent round the machine where it is. Not happy but no choice in the matter. Rains are coming in a couple of days so the snow will wash away I hope.

As for KW, thanks I think. Just one more thing to freak me out. I am going to pull the injectors tomorrow, as well as check the fuel rack. I was going to do a whole teardown but I think I am going to try one thing at a time. Wanted to take the timing belt off tomorrow but I know if I do then I will never know what went sideways.

and yeah, Deutz parts make a Porsche look affordable. Friggin germans. These machines don't break but when they do grab your wallet and hang on.

/ Deutz not running well #6  
Holy Crap. Rozet? I am from Powell, I remember Rozet. All nothing of it. Still a nice area but.... Wasn't there one guy who owned the town?
Can't tell you if that was true. I'm actually closer to Gillette, but get my mail through Rozet. Rozet is basically a school, two bars, a post office and a few houses. Not much there.

As for KW, thanks I think. Just one more thing to freak me out. I am going to pull the injectors tomorrow, as well as check the fuel rack. I was going to do a whole teardown but I think I am going to try one thing at a time. Wanted to take the timing belt off tomorrow but I know if I do then I will never know what went sideways.

Your problem is probably timing or an injection pump problem, but I would certainly check the injectors for peace of mind. It's always good to try one thing at a time, and progress from cheap and easy to expensive and difficult.

/ Deutz not running well
So update. Injectors are out. Not the easiest task on the Deutz and I am a very novice mechanic. They were rusted in nice and tight. Had to go buy tools I did not have (DARN). Diesel Mechanic neighbor stopped by. Added fuel to the fire by suggesting I might just have an airleak in one of my hoses. ARGH. I guess if I had testing equipment it would be an easy thing.

This all said there is kinda a plan of action. Tomorrow I will take the injectors in and have them checked. I will also buy my timing belt kit (At a friggin premium, wanted to spend 1/2 as much by just ebaying it but I don't have the time to wait for it to show up). I am going to run all new fuel lines, and if the price is right, just replace the fuel deliver pump (the one with the strainer). I have an issue with rust in my fuel tank so I am going to get it sand blasted and coated . Also, I am pretty sure I will need a new battery. I also want to replace the engine wiring harness. Argh. Nearly a grand worth of parts. Argh Argh Argh.

/ Deutz not running well
So lots of news, none of it good.

Bought my belt kit, as well as the pins at a premium. I also bought a valve cover gasket. I also bought more of the 2mm hose, and some bigger fuel hose. Oh, and I had my injectors tested (they passed) and bought new copper rings for them.

So, got home and got the alignment pins in. So this is a bummer. The pins (after a bit of fighting which was my fault) went in no problem So this means my belt if fine. So we are back to fuel delivery issue.

My mechanic friend wants me to redo all the hoses running to the engine. He feels there is an air leak. I may do him one better and drain all the diesel and go buy 5 gallons fresh. But, the good news is it looks like the injectors are fine, and they timing belt if fine. So it looks like it is either a lift pump, bad fuel, or air geting into the fuel delivery system.

Tomorrow, another day.

/ Deutz not running well
So, end of day results. Still not running

Had to drive the wife this morning around as we had freezing ice and she had must see appointments. I did, however, pick up 5 gallons of fresh street diesel. (I use OffRoad and I am not sure if was summer rated or not).

Go home, drained the tank. OK, so my tank has had moisture issues and it shows. There is surface rust everywhere. In addition, I found an old plastic nozzle from a gas can laying in the bottom. Right now my focus is on getting running, but this is on my must fix list. We get alot of moisture up here in the PNW, but I am surprised Tazwell does not seal the tank. I am going to remove the tank, have it blasted and then seal it. Stupid to have this as an issue.

Anyway, I digress. I then ran all new fuel lines, both the return line as well as the intake. I found that I had overtightened the hose clamps (typical of me).

Finally, I hooked a long hose up from the fuel pump into a jar to see what the results where when I cranked.

Nothing. Not a thing. Just a dribble. I have a couple of questions for the Deutz guys that I will call on Tomorrow but I Guess my fuel pump is bad.

Now I have to figure out where to get the pump. I need to confirm, but the counter person at the Deutz parts place said $300. Ebay has them for $40. I think she looked up the wrong part.

/ Deutz not running well #10  
Just curious, what machine and what engine you are talking about.