Deutz not running well

/ Deutz not running well #12  
Are you talking like a 911 air cooled?

/ Deutz not running well #14  
Carl-

A couple of thoughts:
Have you changed the inline pre filter, as well as the main fuel filter, and have you checked the outer screen filter on the low pressure pump? It seems to me that someone (you?) had it nearly totally clogged with rust and gunk at one time.

Have you pulled the hose between the low pressure fuel pump to see if you are getting fuel out of it?
If you are, you might need a new high pressure pump. Otherwise, if the pre filter is clean, you need a new low pressure pump. On my Deutz, there is about a 4" semicircle of fuel line that comes out of the low pressure pump and goes to the fuel filter that is an easy test point.

There is a low pressure fuel pump, about $40 on eBay and the high pressure pump 0414287013 / 04179431 for about $300, also on eBay. That might account for the two different prices that you were quoted.

You can get fuel caps with drying agent in them to help keep your fuel dry.

All the best,

Peter

/ Deutz not running well
Peter, as always you are an amazing vat of information and I truely appreciate your responses.

Yup on the filters. First thing I dug into. Yes on the fuel (although I am going to reconfirm this morning, always double check cause I am an idiot.

I am heading to the deutz dealer in Portland. $69 which sucks but at least I will be up and running today and not waiting on shipping.

And I have to get my tank coated. Is yours coated? I am surprised that mine is just steel on the inside.

/ Deutz not running well #16  
I'm happy to help. You guys have helped me so much.

Just to clarify, are you getting diesel out of the first bit of tubing from the low pressure pump?

If you have a water block fuel filter on, that should get all of the water out of the tank pretty quickly, as the Deutz pumps more diesel than needed. The injectors use the intermediate pressure on the diesel to generate a small amount of high pressure diesel to inject, and the remainder (80%?) is returned to the tank. So, you pretty rapidly end up filtering all of the fuel in the tank, which has the side benefit of getting more of the particulates out of more of the fuel than a single pass filter would.

My diesel tank is just steel on the inside. That said, seven years later, there is no rust and the coarse filter in the tank is clean. My 1445 has four fuel filters;
  • The coarse pre-filter in the fuel tank
  • A small, clear prefilter in the fuel hose, just before the Deutz.
  • The Deutz pre-filter before the low pressure pump.
  • The spin on Deutz fuel filter.

I don't know if it helps. I do run SeaFoam in my diesel on a regular basis, and I store the diesel in 5 gallon plastic jerry cans. I keep no more than 15 gallons on site to try and keep the fuel fresh.

I do have a bit of black smoke coming out of the engine, but that's probably my bad. I need to check the valve clearances.

All the best,

Peter

/ Deutz not running well
You have 2 more filters than mine. No filter in the tank, no filter inline. Just the deutz pre and the spin on.

Well, put on the new $70 fuel pump and no love. Video taped the engine sent it to the Deutz guys to see if they can analyze from a distance. At this point I don't know what to do. It ran when I parked it, It doesn't run now. And it smokes white smoke. I got it to catch, a couple of times when I realy warmed up the air, but the throttle had no response.

I think I am going to a movie.

/ Deutz not running well #18  
I am so sorry about all of this. I have to admit that I don't understand the white smoke and dribbling fuel, unless it is so cold that you are getting white smoke because nothing is igniting.

A few more ideas:
  • If it is as cold as your mentioned, is it possible that you had summer diesel that gelled, or precipitated wax in your fuel lines? That would starve your engine of fuel. At this point, you might have to get everything pretty warm to get things melted. Oil pan heater? Hair dryer under a tarp?
  • If the fuel is just dribbling, have you checked that the fuel solenoid is functional? And that it isn't plugged?
    (And that the wiring, and wiring harness are ok?)
  • Also, you might want to check the throttle at the engine to make it works.
  • Does your Deutz have a manual engine shutdown lever? If so, you might want to make sure that it is in the run position.
If those all check out, I'd be leaning toward something ugly like a blown gasket or ring set due to the cold.

All the best,

Peter

/ Deutz not running well
All fuel related items have now been replaced, including the diesel. Your thoughts were my thoughts.

I am pulling the solenoid today as I get into the timing belt. I have had an issue all summer with the Deutz not shutting down (turn the key off, it still runs until I throttle down).

Throttle works and yeah, checked out all the rest as well

So here is where we are at. I am going to do a timing belt replacement today. As well, I will pop the valve cover and look for any goodies. If this does not solve it, then I guess it is a blowh head gasket.

In the end I will be a genius deutz man..... so glad for hands on training

Oh, here is an engine video if anyone wants to weigh in on the issue... I may post this in another section...

Deutz won't run - YouTube

/ Deutz not running well #20  
Thanks for the helpful video. It looks to me like you have one or two cylinders leaking and one or two catching. You can hear it and see it in the exhaust. "Dah, dah, bump, bump. Dah, dah, bump, bump." You can hear the fuel solenoid engage, though that doesn't mean the fuel passage ways are clear, either because of the solenoid not fully cycling or because the fuel passage is blocked.

The Deutz not shutting down when keyed off is a classic bad fuel solenoid. I would start there.

With the injectors out, did you check compression in the cylinders? If it isn't OK, you probably want to check your valves (and therefore push rods), when you change the timing belt. As you manually rotate the crankshaft watch that the correct valves cycle the same amount.

The hesitation in the exhaust may just be ignition / non-ignition, but it could also be valve leakage.

All the best,

Peter

All fuel related items have now been replaced, including the diesel. Your thoughts were my thoughts.

I am pulling the solenoid today as I get into the timing belt. I have had an issue all summer with the Deutz not shutting down (turn the key off, it still runs until I throttle down).

Throttle works and yeah, checked out all the rest as well

So here is where we are at. I am going to do a timing belt replacement today. As well, I will pop the valve cover and look for any goodies. If this does not solve it, then I guess it is a blowh head gasket.

In the end I will be a genius deutz man..... so glad for hands on training

Oh, here is an engine video if anyone wants to weigh in on the issue... I may post this in another section...

Deutz won't run - YouTube