Deutz not running well

/ Deutz not running well
Well, today was a huge learning experience day.

First, and most importantly. All of the instructions that you will find for timing belts are wrong (unless you have a shop manual and even then...) The big thing is that everyone felt that the belt had slipped, but I put pins in, following all of the instructions, and they all fit.

Well, they did not fit. It turns out that the pin that holds the crank does not slide into a neat hole like the cam, it bumps up agains a machined tab on the crank. So, if you inserrt the pin on the crank you must turn the cank until it hits the pin. I had read / interpreted that if the pin went in on the crank, then that was that.

Thus I moved on to fuel issues, and racked up 2 lost days and a couple hundred in unecessary parts (and I still do not know why my one pump did not pump).

I also want to warn / advise any Deutz owners. Change the belts at 5 years. Mine was pretty stretched, and while low hour it had been in the engine for 12 years. Also, if you want to borrow my pins you can ($80 from Deutz). Happy to shiip the out when I am done.

So, the belt slipped. No damage to the belt or to any of the gears that I see. It just hopped forward. In this picture, The purple mark on the pulley marks TDC (or where the pin rests on the crank). It should line up with the silver looking tab on the engine crank (this is only for your reference, not a true Deutz mark).

IMG_3433.jpg

So here is the pin hole for the camshaft. As you can kinda see, its a hole. I should have taken a picture of it not lined up, but either there is nor is not a hole. And this is what the instructions say to look for.

IMG_3439.jpg

And here is the hole for the crank in the WRONG position.

IMG_3441.jpg

And here is it lined up correctly. There is a lot of confusing metal as you look through the hole and rotate. Keep a sharp eye out.

IMG_3445.jpg

And here is what happens when your belt slips or breaks. The big thing is that it knocked the rocker nearly off piston 2. If you look at the photos you will see the bonus broken screw which thankfully came out SUPER easy. I mean like blew my mind easy.

Tomorrow I am back to the Deutz dealer for pushrods and new screws. But I now feel like I am near the end, and a lot smarter about the deutz.

IMG_3446.jpgIMG_3447.jpgIMG_3448.jpgIMG_3449.jpg

/ Deutz not running well
Oh, and here are some printed instructions on timing belts and Valve adjustments. The timing belt notes will show you the tab on the crank which no other instructions have shown.

Enjoy

Attachments

• 1011F-2011 Timing belt.pdf
    3.7 MB · Views: 939
  • 1011F-2011 valve adj.pdf
    268 KB · Views: 324
  • Adjusting Valves.pdf
    93.5 KB · Views: 311
   / Deutz not running well #23  
Hey, you're sticking with it and getting it done. At least you found an actual problem now. :thumbsup:

/ Deutz not running well #25  
Thanks Woodland, this is all good stuff to know.:thumbsup: I'll refer to this post for a reference.

/ Deutz not running well #26  
Wow ,glad you finally found it. I hope,you do not have any bent valves or damaged pistons,from the extent of the damage on top ,it is highly likely depending on how fast the engine was spinning when the parts collided.

/ Deutz not running well #27  
Carl,

Have you ever considered that your "Easy Fueler" refilling port cur in the top of your engine hood might let in more water? Have you ever thought of putting a gasketed door on top of it to keep water away from the PT diesel cap, which has some rather large openings in it?

Just a thought.

BTW: Have you noticed any increase or reduction in smoke from your engine after all of this?

All the best,

Peter

/ Deutz not running well
Raw. According to deutz it is nearly impossible to damage the valves or pistons. But you can see the push rods and rocker arms screws are toast

Pony. Yeah. I think the moisture is just airborne. My engine starts a bit quicker and is subtly more quiet. When you first start up you will blow a ton of white smoke after the repair. Don't freak out like I did. From all the turning over by hand the pistons are pretty diesel soaked.