Deutz Timing Belt

/ Deutz Timing Belt #31  
Hmm...looks like this is yet another project to put on the list. Just reread Carl's experience with his belt slipping timing. My 1845 is like 20 years old and has never had the belt changed (very low hours though). Nor the value adjustment. I'm too scared to start my tractor now. :) To make matters worse, I've misplaced my Deutz service manual.

/ Deutz Timing Belt
Awww You know us, you don't need no stinkin manual. Its a loss in man points if you open you, you know that, right?

Honesly it is way simple to do and I think we would all be willing to share our hardware. No sense in buying the alignment plugs.

/ Deutz Timing Belt #33  
Oh man, a loss of man points. That sucks. :thumbdown:

:laughing:

/ Deutz Timing Belt #35  
Ok, I started this project and already screwed up because I was goofing around with my helper. I finished the procedure but failed to re-tighten the cam shaft nut before starting the process to rotate the engine 4 times then re-check the belt for correct tension. This became obvious when the engine suddenly wouldn't rotate anymore. I'm a strong guy so hopefully I didn't bend anything in the engine. :)

So, I now need to set the timing. Couple of questions:

Does the cam pin fit in a hole and the crank pin fit against a machined surface?
Does the crank have only one machined surface for the pin?
Does the crank nut rotate clockwise to match the engine rotation?

Is this procedure correct for setting the timing:
+ find the cam hole and insert the pin
+ loosen the belt
+ find the machined surface for the crank pin and insert the pin
+ rotate the crank until the machined surface is tight against the pin
+ hold this position while reattaching the belt
+ tighten the belt moderately to hold everything in place
+ set the belt tension properly
+ tighten the cam pulley
+ rotate engine clockwise 4 complete revolutions using the crank nut
+ measure belt tension and adjust if necessary
+ reattach covers

/ Deutz Timing Belt
DEUTZ 111 Timing Belt Replacement - YouTube

That said... More than likely you did not bend a push rod for your valves, but clearly you have bumped up into it.

Having replaced the push rods, it actually isn't that big of a deal. Pretty simple in face. Having taken my Deutz top end off I can say that it is a pretty easy engine to work on.

/ Deutz Timing Belt #37  
X2 on the video. It really helped me.
Woodlandfarms figured out that there are two places the pin can stop on the hole nearest the timing belt. You want to make sure you get it in the right one.

All the best, Peter

/ Deutz Timing Belt #38  
I know this is an old thread if some would like to comment, but one should be the master thread for timing belt reference.

My question is, on the Foley site video they replaced the timing belt without loosening the cam gear adjustment.

When I think about it, since the timing was correct when initially assembled, it shouldn't change and really the only variance is from the stretch of the old belt (which may account for some having trouble inserting the 2-pins simultaneously without a fractional rotation to account for the stretch{to move it back into spec}), The new un-stretched belt should bring the timing back to spec which can be verified by the ease of inserting the 2 timing pins. Am I thinking this through correctly?

Most diesels I have dealt with didn't need any timing adjustment of the "metal" parts between rebuilds. Never mind 1000 hours.

/ Deutz Timing Belt #39  
My understanding is that pins lock the timing, enabling the belt change accurately. IIRC, you are supposed to check the valve clearance while doing it. (Hence the two pin positions noted above.)

I tend to think of the pins as more a "locking of the existing timing" rather than a timing "adjustment".

Given the widespread use of these engines in all sorts of applications, I tend to mentally cut Deutz some slack for a standard procedure that keeps their engines humming along.

All the best,

Peter