Deutz Timing Belt

/ Deutz Timing Belt #41  
the pins as more a "locking of the existing timing" rather than a timing "adjustment".
We may have to agree to disagree. Looking at it as a retired diesel mechanic (for other brands), the cam and crankshaft have this precision machined cut to engage a precision pin, done properly this places both parts, although separate from each other, in an EXACT position in degrees of rotation.

If they wanted to lock them in place to keep the existing timing, which due to worn belts is now less then optimum, they could just tighten in a soft jam screw.

With that said IMHO, I wouldn't mess with the cam timing adjustment unless after installing the new belt, and inserting the crank position pin, the cam pin was not able to be reinserted (of course this is attempted after rotating the engine, only in the direction of rotation for a few turns). No matter how good you are with holding that dual wrench setup for the cam, the factory did it better.

I think unless your valve clearances were way out of spec (not just a few thousands), your performance improvement that you noticed was due to the engine timing place back into spec with the new belt. And the requirement to change the belt is not only to avoid breakage, it appears to me that wear takes place (like on your vehicle tires) on the timing belt cogs (as little as thousands of an inch) that changes your camshaft (and maybe your injection pump) positions in relation to the crankshaft. Did you notice black dust in the enclosed belt area? That would be belt particles that formally held the sprockets in a ever so slightly different position.

Either way your good. Just food for thought for anyone doing this in the future. I just picked up an old 1430 and will be doing this soon.

I have three 12 valve Cummins trucks that require a valve adj ever 24k miles. I never noticed any difference.

Last edited: