Deutz Tractors?

/ Deutz Tractors? #41  
I made a post in this thread some time back on an Agroplus 87 I bought last June. I'll update a little again now.

Have just shy of 300 hours on the 87 now. I know that's not a lot of hours but will say most of those 300 were not light work. The tractor has been flawless. Only work done to the tractor is change filters and oils. I did add fluid to the front tires after I bought a Hay King pasture renovator. Already had ballast in the rear tires. Ran that thing over 80 acres of pasture and hay fields. It gave the tractor a full workout. Most of these fields hadn't been row cropped since the 70's and some as far back as the 50's. Being in drought for the last 10 of 12 years the soil was tight to say the least. Used 4 wheels to pull the renovator over all of that and kept the tractor under a good load. Most was done at4.3 mph and some was 4.8. Wore out 1 set of points after hardfacing 3 times and put a new set on of a different shape. Hard faced the new ones 4 times. Just mentioned that to give an idea how tight the soil was. Fuel usage went up per hour with the renovator. It ran 2.3 gph with that. Pulling the V-tank spreader it uses 1.2 gph. I'm really pleased with fuel usage. That 2.3 gph was very low when compared to a 6 cylinder diesel of most any brand. I've used some JD's that would have used at least 4 gph if not a little more.

Anyone that buys one of these tractors needs to take notice of the required cetane for these engines. I add cetane on every bulk fill up. I keep it above 50. I don't have the book in front of me right now but I think 46 is required. I got on another board in Eurpoe and asked what level of cetane they got from the pump and it's in the low 50's. So their fuel is higher than what we have here.

Just for the heck of it I started the 87 up at -1 this past winter. I wanted to see how it would do on a cold start. That was the coldest temp. we had this year. I used the glow plug, tractor sitting outside and no engine heater on the engine. The engine turned over about 3 times and I stopped and hit the glow plug a second time and it fired right up. Over the years I've had HI, Longs and Perkins engines and never had any that would start like that. Not even when new.

I'm very pleased with the tractor. With all the goodies that come on it it's sure helped me with my back problems and I'm not getting any younger either. Standard fast hitch lift arms and top link cut hookup time down to minutes.Can also work the arms from the rear of the tractor. Stop and go, shuttle and rpm memory take a lot of work out of baleing hay. After trying each of the 3 remotes I found one that will operated the gate on the round baler at just about double the speed of any other tractor I've used on the baler. So dumping time has been cut.

I guess one of the best things about the tractor is the cab. My son loves to run the thing and he clips all the pasture and hay fields now. LOL I think the radio we added helped with that too. LOL

Only thing I found that was junk on the tractor was the speakers that came in the cab. They didn't last 3 weeks. I just bought a set from Walmart and good to go on the radio now.(grin)

Anyone looking to buy or trade tractors would do themselves a favor to take a good look at the Deutz Fahr tractors. Read and ask question and read some more. Get in one and try it out. I don't have tractors for toys and weekend work. When I run them I run as hard as needed to get the job done. This tractor has taken everything I've thrown at it with no problems. I don't abuse machinery but do expect it to take long hard runs of what I'm doing and do it well. It has so far.

/ Deutz Tractors? #42  
My understanding was all DX series for Deutz Fahr are Air-Cooled

/ Deutz Tractors? #43  
I have a new Duetz dealer in town. I really did not believe some of the fuel burn numbers I have been hearing, but I just keep hearing them from Duetz owners. They offered me a free demo of a Agrofarm 100. Too bad I am not really in the market or I would have taken them up on that.

/ Deutz Tractors? #44  
I have a new Duetz dealer in town. I really did not believe some of the fuel burn numbers I have been hearing, but I just keep hearing them from Duetz owners. They offered me a free demo of a Agrofarm 100. Too bad I am not really in the market or I would have taken them up on that.

I've never used a tractor that fuel usage varied by load like these engines do. Just guessing some of that may be because it's 4 cylinder with turbo. On the highway the tractor has two gears that will run the same speed. If the load allows the top gear will run 30 mph at 1850 rpm's and no more than 1850 and if load doesn't allow you can shift the middle stick and the top gear will run 30 mph at 2200 rpm. That was put in to save fuel while on the road..... Let me add the manual says the tractor will run 24 mph on the highway. I've been behind it on two different trucks and by both trucks it runs 30 mph at top speed.

Back to fuel usage. I noticed the engine on the 87 has an injector pump for each cylinder. Looks like they run on a cam. I also found that there's something added in this fuel system for cold weather starting that wasn't on the SAME engines that were used in the Farmtrac Same models.

/ Deutz Tractors? #45  
The older air-cooled Deutz tractors you find in use are the strongest and most fuel efficient work horses...BAR NONE! It is the Eurpean engineering at its best. YES, you may overtax one and break it making parts a bit hard to find. Any old school diesel mechanic can repair them. We have had them on our MS cattle/timber farm and the American tractors go by the wayside while our largest Deutz is still the "go to" power plant.

A farmer down the road from me has now limited his mechanical program to Deutz for heavier work....he has 4 of them. He adopted IH FARMALL for his light work and he has 5 CUBS, 100s and Super As. I have a Deutz and 3 IH FARMALLs.....its all good!!

/ Deutz Tractors? #46  
We have a fleet of Deutz tractors among other brands as well. Ours are (now) all 8006,10006 and 13006 models, both 2wd and FWA. 2 8006, 4 10006 and one 13006. They run from 5000-10000 hours. A couple have had top engine work. They are both tractors that spent a lot of time idling and got too loaded up with carbon. I have never had the pan off any of them.

The main trouble I've had is stuff I've overcome, like master brake cylinders, alternators and some shaky wiring, especially lights and worn out seats. All this stuff has been swapped to commonly available (local farm, auto and hot rod parts stores) replacements that were easy to adapt.

I have had 3 that had the splined tube between the clutch and transmission come loose and slip forward. A shop in MI fixed one by putting in a double chain coupler (a la Oliver tractor design) that I feel is a bulletproof fix for that common problem. The other two were fixed by a cheaper method, which while still working, may break later on.

What I want is for someone to make a replacement muffler for them. It is a manifold and muffler combo on the F6L912 engines and I cannot find one anywhere. I made one out of desperation, and it works, but it is a bit ugly and not very quiet.

/ Deutz Tractors? #47  
i have a 100 06 i am looking for master brake cylinder or a something to replace it.

thanks,matt

/ Deutz Tractors? #48  
i have a 100 06 i am looking for master brake cylinder or a something to replace it.

thanks,matt

I have converted a bunch of the 10006 to CNC master cylinders. I use the 3/4" bore ones. I will try to post a link to the ones I use...

MASTER CYLINDER ROUND, 3/4" :: MASTER CYLINDERS :: BRAKE SYSTEMS :: Appletree Automotive

It will give you a bit more pedal pressure to stop but less pedal travel. I have also used the 5/8 bore. It gives easy pedal pressure but you have to shove farther, and need to adjust brakes more often. The original Bosch M/C is about 17 mm, which is in the middle of those two.

To convert, you will also need two "bubble flare adapters" from appletree to convert the CNC pipe thread to the metric deutz brake line. Then, I take the original deutz pushrod and install it into the CNC cylinder. I had a L-shaped bracket made to mount the cylinders to the tractor using the original bolt holes. The brake lines fit with no bending if you make the bracket right, providing you pitch the equalizer that is on some of them.

This all assumes that you have the later style brakes that mount the cylinder under the platform with the pushrods pointing forward to the pedal arms.
I also converted an early style 10006 that has the cylinders ahead of the padals w/ the pushrods pointing to the rear. I used a different type of cylinder there (also from appletree) that was pretty much a bolt in using the original mounts.

/ Deutz Tractors? #50  
I have a Deutz allis 6250 with a deutz 456 loader. On the bottom of the loader valve there are 2 cast aluminumspool caps. I haved tried, but cannot find this part anywhere. I can send pictures if it would help.

Thanks