Dewalt 18v XRP repairable?

/ Dewalt 18v XRP repairable? #1  

paulharvey

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L285
I have a Dewalt 18v drill and sawzall along with 4 XRP batteries and a charger. Thats probably around $600 worth of tools when I bought them (mostly using a company expense account years ago). Only one battery takes a charge at all now. I dont see spending $80 each for old technology batteries when I could get ryobi lithium for what? $30? Can batteries be repaired for cheap? Is there a company that makes "dewalt match" batteries? Can I take guts out of a $15 HF battery and use the battery case of the XRP? Basically I dont want to sink much money into 8 year old batteries, but I hate to throw away $600 worth of tools.....

/ Dewalt 18v XRP repairable? #2  
EBay has cheap replacement batteries for DeWalt 18 volt tools. I have bought two, Chinese manufactured, and they have been at least as good as the OEM batteries, maybe better. It has been awhile but I think I paid $37 each, including shipping.

/ Dewalt 18v XRP repairable? #3  
your options are : send battery pack in for rebuild or buy a new one. or third and last option restart all over again and buy current battery tools if your tools are on its last stand. I googled for battery rebuilds and got a few hits online and its always the same. prices for a rebuild is pretty much same price as new battery but sometimes its a better battery.

/ Dewalt 18v XRP repairable? #4  
   / Dewalt 18v XRP repairable? #5  
I have 18 volt xrp tools I have used for 6 years commercially and I bought into those cheap replacement batteries ONCE. Seemed like such a stellar deal about $35 each, heck I bought 9 of them. At best they lasted 10 months. A couple caught fire while I was using them.
Save your self the aggravation and go buy the 2 pack at lowes or Home Depot for around $100 bucks and don't look back

/ Dewalt 18v XRP repairable? #6  
You can buy the individual cells and rebuild the batt yourself.. Check out ebay.

/ Dewalt 18v XRP repairable? #7  
You can send it to a rebuilder.

You can rebuild it yourself. Look online for instruction.

But, what Id do is buy new factory packs. As Kenny says, the price is way down for them. Dewalt is going to the new style, flat batteries, so they are moving the old NiCads out.

FYI, Dewalt has a new Lithium-ion 18V batts that are compatable with the old XRP tools. About $65 each on Amazon, however you would need a Lithium comparable charger. These are non-XRP batts. XRP's are also available, but more expensive at $185 for 2. Might be an option if the tools are in good shape and you want an upgrade. DC9181 18V Compact Li-Ion Battery pack | DEWALT Tools

I have a lot of the 18V XRP tools.. they are very durable. Id like to upgrade to the new, lighter Lithium tools, possibly from some other manufacturers, but like you, I have a large investment in the Dewalt system. I have about 6 batteries with lots of cycles and still no issues, knock on wood;)

/ Dewalt 18v XRP repairable? #8  
A contractor friend used to go to a Black & Decker outlet when his Dewault batteries died. He said that the B&D battery had a little nub that needed to be filed off otherwise the batteries were the same. This was awhile back so I don't know what models and even if it is still true. He had 18v Nicad tools.

/ Dewalt 18v XRP repairable? #9  
Scooby. $182 is too da%m high, $ 99 gets two all day long. Are those really that much better?

Last edited:
   / Dewalt 18v XRP repairable? #10  
Scooby. $182 is too **** high, $ 99 gets two all day long. Are those really that much better?

I still use the old school Nicad XRPs in mine. Ive used other branded tools with Lithium bats and there is a difference. They are better. Are they worth the money? The OP would have to decide. To me, Im happy with the nicad XRPs, theyre a very good battery for a nicad, and if I was buying, Id likely buy the 2 pack XRP Nicads.