Dewalt 18v XRP repairable?

/ Dewalt 18v XRP repairable? #21  
Thanksgiving this year was at my brother's in laws in Danville California...

All the 9 kids from 2 through 12 and me had dinner out on the patio... sunny and clear and 100% California...

/ Dewalt 18v XRP repairable? #22  
When I bought my Milwaukee combo 18V Nicad set, it came with three batteries. I numbered them to use in rotation. They could have lasted longer but they did all die about the same time.

I bought a Hitachi 14V Lithium Ion impact driver with two batteries five years ago and have used it hard. I have driven alot of 3.5" screws into oak and PT wood. Those batteries are still going strong. And to think I always resisted Hitachi because the tools look more like athletic shoes, lol!

/ Dewalt 18v XRP repairable? #23  
This is the time of year to see the batteries on sale, especially in a twin pack.

I have given up on cordless. PITA and too danged expensive. The last working Dewalt battery I had damned near burned down the house. I took it off the charger, drilled a few holes and put the battery back on the charger. A short time later I smelled something electrical burning. I started looking and the battery was smoking like an out door wood burner! :shocked: Ok, it was not that bad, but it was bad. I pulled the cord on the charger and tossed the whole **** thing into the gravel driveway. The battery casing was melting when I found it. The charger was under a wall cabinet and if the battery had caught fire it would have been ugly...

That battery burned out years ago and I have not missed it...

Anyway, the batteries do go on sale this time of year so now is the time to buy.

Later,
Dan

/ Dewalt 18v XRP repairable? #25  
You can, at a price however...and the chargers you have can't be used either. I strongly considered it, but I've had such good service from the NiCads and with the 2 for $99 XRP deal I just couldn't do it.

These are backwards compatible: Amazon.com: DeWalt DC9180-2-C (2) 18V NANO Lithium-Ion Batteries w/ DC9310 7.2V - 18V Ni-Cd / Ni-MH / NANO Lithium-Ion 1-Hour Battery Charger: Explore similar items

I would not recommend those battery packs. They do not hold up well because DeWalt used a top load charger and the heat from the charger shorted the life of the battery drastically. DeWalt tried them to help us guys with tons of 18v DeWalt gear but quickly realized the design was flawed. DeWalt recently had a promotion to trade in an old DeWalt for a reduced price on a new 20v Lithium drill/ impact driver set. DeWalt has already said they will continue producing the old batteries as a service for their customers (as they should) but are hoping people switch over to Lithium.

/ Dewalt 18v XRP repairable? #27  
Was at local Home Depot last night. They had DeWalt double pack 18V for $99, right next to a single for $89.

Yup saw that yesterday too..