Diabetes

/ Diabetes #501  
Diabetes - a disease of national epic proportions. A disease that most in the field want to treat not prevent. There is no where near the profit in prevention.
Type II is largely caused by inactivating and being overweight.

/ Diabetes #502  
Diabetes - a disease of national epic proportions. A disease that most in the field want to treat not prevent. There is no where near the profit in prevention.
What you say is true, but has not been my experience. My family doctor/nurses are all actively helping/encouraging me to get my A1C down to where I don't need medication. It's very empowering to have them on my side.

/ Diabetes #503  
Inactivity and diet would be the cause in my opinion.
I'm marginally more active than a yr ago, truth be told. But a keto diet has dropped my A1c and weight significantly.

/ Diabetes #504  
Type II is largely caused by inactivating and being overweight.
Son is here. Doing great..........here. Took him from TIR of very low 30's to currently high 70's. After Tandem finally upload I see he only averages 1 meal with insulin. He has rules, expectations, and structure here. Doesn't question us or anything. Not sure what goes on out there. But it's all his fault according to mom.

/ Diabetes #505  
What you say is true, but has not been my experience. My family doctor/nurses are all actively helping/encouraging me to get my A1C down to where I don't need medication. It's very empowering to have them on my side.
Most doctors have received next to no education on nutrition. Are they the best people to help cure you of an illness caused by poor nutrition. I'm glad you have people encouraging you to get you A1C down. You may want to look up Virta. They program has helped tens of thousands get off medication and reverse diabetes. Many insurance programs cover the cost, but many are self pay and claim to be saying money since they are off the medications.

/ Diabetes
my primary doc is a small stature man with not an ounce of fat on him.
My endocrinologist and oncologist are both tall and thin.
I worry they think I'm a fat slob with no willpower.
When I see my primary in two weeks, will ask him to try hard to get me approved for Mounjaro or similar.
At 6.0 AIC I don't qualify for any help I believe.
But I'm not sure so will ask again.
maybe some combo of risk factors plus fact I'm on hydrocortisone for apparently forever
after adrenal cancer. The question is which of my docs has the authority to get this approved.

meanwhile I'm eating a lot of salads, avoiding fast food, avoiding all soda, avoiding almost anything that comes in a cardboard box.
and I continue to read labels carefully for grams of sugar and grams of added sugar. Almost out of principle I try to avoid
anything with added sugar.

avoidance has to be smarter than treatment.
For most folks, exercise and diet will work.
but you can't talk about it, you have to do it.

I finally got my phone to say I was walking as much as last year.
even with shoe inserts, plantar fasciitis makes my foot flare up after half a mile.
some days if I were a car I don't think I'd pass inspection...
but out I go if the day is nice and I try to stay as active as possible.
When I walk in from the supermarket lot, I try to hustle a little.

I'm not where I want to be but I'm not adding mental stress to myself at my age to
fit in the middle of a bell curve. Being heavy is one thing, being sick is another.
And we all know diabetes can make you very sick.

/ Diabetes #507  
Uncared for type I or II will put you in the hospital and/or death early. Watching your blood glycogen and a1c is the path to normal live expectancy and more fun while living. Eating a reasonable and varied diet and moving around is the boring secret.