Diesel 9-1-1 question

/ Diesel 9-1-1 question #11  
How about Lucas, do they make a diesel fuel addative?

My daddy in law a FIRM believer in Lucas! Showing property to a gentleman last week and started talking about my truck issues and he asked if I used Lucas. I said not yet and he said time to start. He's another long time heavy equipment operator.

About 3 years ago I used Lucas's "Fuel Treatment" for about 5 tanks in the 92'. It didn't give me any running problems, but I did notice that every morning when I'd start the truck, and during the first few miles of driving, that it would noticeable leave a light trail of blue smoke. It never did that before the Lucas, and after the Lucas I switched to Power Service, and it never did it then either. With as little horsepower as that year of the 5.9 Cummins has, you can easily feel any kind of subtle power changes. I felt more of a jump with the Power Service than I did with the Lucas, so that's one reason why I switched. I also looked at the fact that Power Service is formulate specifically for diesels, where as IIRC, the Lucas is for both diesel and gas engines. The biggest difference between the two is that the Lucas is more of an oil, where as the Power Service is a full liquid. Personally I like the Power Service a whole lot better, and won't go back to the Lucas. I never really been impressed with their products anyways, there's no use for an "oil stabilizer" if your running a quality oil.

:cool:

/ Diesel 9-1-1 question #12  
Your BIL's advise is flawed. The proper way to remove water, is through a water seperator and drain. Emulsified water/alcohol mix in the fuel is a good way to give the injector rebuilders some work. Oh wait...your BIL may have some boat payments to make:p

That may be, not gonna aruge....I can say that before using his advice I had a HECK of a time keeping my F935 running during the winters....tried everything...since using his way...PERFECT...He came over once and tested my fuel and was the one who told me that WATER was my problem, my fuel wasnt gelled...
Seeing as how he's gainfully employeed by a CAT Dealer and has been promoted quite a few times (has his on field service truck now)...I'll continue to use his reccomendations. His Personal F350 PSD/Personal Tractor/Company Service truck all gets the same treatment and all have been going fine. As for his boat payments...he's never charged me a PENNY to do any work..so he's not making any money off me.....If anything has more to loose then gain...not only is he my BIL, he's been one of my best friends since 1st Grade...

As to the proper way to remove water...without a bottom drain/feed line on a fuel tank, how do you reccomend removing the water? Last time i checked water sank to the bottom of fuel....

/ Diesel 9-1-1 question #14  
OT...so when did you start dating his sister?:D

My wife & his wife are sisters....So I guess you can say he's my BIL by marriage...same difference to me..LOL

/ Diesel 9-1-1 question #15  
I was talking to my dealer last weekend, he told me to start using a treatment in the fuel. He said that sulfhur was not being used in diesel any more. That would allow algee to grow in the fuel. I was wondering if anyone else has heard if sulphur was not being used in diesel any more?

/ Diesel 9-1-1 question #16  
I was talking to my dealer last weekend, he told me to start using a treatment in the fuel. He said that sulfhur was not being used in diesel any more. That would allow algee to grow in the fuel. I was wondering if anyone else has heard if sulphur was not being used in diesel any more?

Sulfur is still being used in diesel, just extremely lower amounts than about 4 years ago. In the Fall of 2006, ULSD, or "Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel" was introduced into the U.S. diesel market to replace and slowly phase out the older, dirtier, and IMO better, LSD, or "Low Sulfur Diesel". The biggest difference between the two is the sulfur content. LSD had a sulfur content of 500 ppm, and ULSD has a sulfur content of 15 ppm. A big difference as you can see, but other than making a cleaner burner fuel, what does it do to your fuel injection system? Well, 1. The single biggest problem in lowering the sulfur in diesel was the effect that it had on fuel systems designed to run on LSD, or higher sulfured fuel. Lower the sulfur content in diesel, and you've basically done the same thing as they did in the 70's when they took the lead out of gasoline. Sulfur is a natural lubricant in diesel fuel, a protective barrier if you will. Immediately people driving older diesels notice problems, such as suddenly leaking fuel pumps, fuel lines cracking, seals breaking, lift pumps and fuel pumps dieing, and injectors needing to be repaired or replaced, all because of the "ultra low" sulfur content.

2. The second biggest problem with lowering the sulfur content was the that it caused the "clouding point", (this is the degree in temperature at which diesel fuel starts to solidify, or become waxy), to rise. Another common term for it is "gelling". When it got cold in the winter of 06', people who had never had any issues with diesel fuel "gelling", started having problems. The fuel thickens, or solidify's entirely, plugging fuel lines, but most particularly your fuel filter. When it does this, the engine won't be starting anytime soon, not until you are able to get it to change back to a liquid.

3. As you mentioned, another side affect of the sulfur being lowered in diesel, is that it allow for algae and bacteria to grow in fuel tanks much easier. Though I haven't experienced it, and hope I never do.

The biggest thing you can do to cure these issues is to run an additive, such as Power Service, it's a very popular in the diesel world. They have to main variations, a silver bottle, which has lubricity additives and a 6 point cetane (cetane is the rating of diesel fuel, it's like octane is for gasoline) boost, (this one is mainly to run in the summer or warm months), and a white bottle, which also has lubricity additives, a 4 point cetane boost, and the most important thing, an anti-gel additive which claims will prevent plugging down to -40, and this is the bottle you run in the winter. Both of these additives will do a good job or preventing algae as well, and it isn't that big of an issue with vehicles that get a driven regularly. Now, if you have a stationary fuel tank, or a vehicle that sits a lot, than you'll want to look into a "biocide" additive to cure this issue as well.

Personally, I have run both Power Service products, and don't haven't had problems with any of my diesel vehicles or equipment. Run the silver bottle in the summer, and the white in the winter and you'll be good to go.

:cool:

/ Diesel 9-1-1 question #18  
For a 6 month lay-up you might as well keep the money in your pocket.

/ Diesel 9-1-1 question #20  
the product that will protect the system for the 6 mo period is called bio-bor pick it up at any marine store. anytime we store a boat for a customer for more than a month it gets this algae grows fast and clogs filters and such. it is not a waste of you're money for a 6 mo layup.