Diesel fuel Injector pump leaking into crankcase?

/ Diesel fuel Injector pump leaking into crankcase? #21  
That is a different pump than mine but the basic structure is similar. They probably all are.

The o-ring I was referring to was on the the actuator shaft where it enters the lift pump body. It was the only thing that separated the fuel in the lift pump from the oil in the IP sump. The lift pump had a gasket on it where it clamped to the IP.

Here are a couple of pictures of my IP with and without the lift pump. You can see where I make a plate to cover the hole in the IP sump with the over flow port just to the left of the plate. The IP governor is in the housing to the right of the plate, it shares oil with the sump.

When the lift pump leaked at the o-ring the fuel just flowed into the sump, diluting the oil and eventually overflowing it. By eliminating the lift pump leak it solved the fuel in the sump problem for a while. Now it is leaking a little and because the lift pump is gone, the leak has to be internal to the IP since the only source of fuel is in the upper end of the IP. Probably wear in the pistons that could be repaired, IF there were a competent shop nearby that would work on it. The only good shops here refuse to work on import stuff and by the time I ship it to someplace I can probably buy a new pump for the same $.

At this time, there is no issue with fuel getting into the engine because I keep the excess drained from the sump so it can not get pressurized and push past the input shaft seal where it could then enter the engine via the timing gear case.

Attachments

• 013 (2019_02_19 01_42_27 UTC).jpg
    013 (2019_02_19 01_42_27 UTC).jpg
    760.3 KB · Views: 20
  • WP_20210330_10_34_18_Pro (2021_03_30 16_33_08 UTC).jpg
    WP_20210330_10_34_18_Pro (2021_03_30 16_33_08 UTC).jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 17
   / Diesel fuel Injector pump leaking into crankcase? #22  
They are all the same except on which side the primer pump is on. This is the push rod where the O-ring goes. Don't know why I didn't include this pic. Sorry.

Attachments

• IMGA0867.JPG
    IMGA0867.JPG
    162.6 KB · Views: 17
   / Diesel fuel Injector pump leaking into crankcase? #23  
Good. I had looked but didn't find where I had taken a picture of the lift pump. It is in a box somewhere in the shop.
I never seem to throw something away just because it doesn't do the assigned task any longer. Never know what I might do with it in the future.
Or, it will just be the auctioneer's problem....

/ Diesel fuel Injector pump leaking into crankcase?
Here are your lift pump components.
Thanks much Mr Rooks!
From that photo there doesn’t seem to be any o-rings or seals that I would be able to replace in the lift pump. Do you have a method for repairing a leaking lift pump? If so, I would gladly try to do that on mine before going any farther.

Good. I had looked but didn't find where I had taken a picture of the lift pump. It is in a box somewhere in the shop.
I never seem to throw something away just because it doesn't do the assigned task any longer. Never know what I might do with it in the future.
Or, it will just be the auctioneer's problem....
Lol. I agree with you. I never throw anything away either. I seem to find some odd use for them years later.

/ Diesel fuel Injector pump leaking into crankcase? #26  
Thanks much Mr Rooks!
From that photo there doesn’t seem to be any o-rings or seals that I would be able to replace in the lift pump. Do you have a method for repairing a leaking lift pump? If so, I would gladly try to do that on mine before going any farther.
Individual component parts are not available. You would have to source the O-rings locally (Buna-N, silicone, Neoprene). But as Piper and myself have done is to just remove the mechanical lift pump altogether and install an electric pump wired to the key switch. My wheel loader with a Kubota diesel, and my excavator with a Yanmar diesel came from the factory with electric lift pumps. It's the way to go, really. You will always get some minute fuel leakage from the barrel and plungers because there is no seal, it's just the lap fit that prevents leakage - that's why it is so important to keep the fuel as clean and moisture free as possible - to minimize wear and prevent "bugs".

Individual component parts are not available. You would have to source the O-rings locally (Buna-N, silicone, Neoprene). But as Piper and myself have done is to just remove the mechanical lift pump altogether and install an electric pump wired to the key switch. My wheel loader with a Kubota diesel, and my excavator with a Yanmar diesel came from the factory with electric lift pumps. It's the way to go, really. You will always get some minute fuel leakage from the barrel and plungers because there is no seal, it's just the lap fit that prevents leakage - that's why it is so important to keep the fuel as clean and moisture free as possible - to minimize wear and prevent "bugs".
Okay. Sounds good to me. I will look for electric lift pump. Do I need to look for some specific pressure rating?

/ Diesel fuel Injector pump leaking into crankcase? #28  
It doesn't take much pressure. I think the one I used was 4 to 7 psi.
If your fuel tank is higher than the filter and the IP, you can probably just get it to run without the pump. At least for some testing.
If you make a cover plate for the lift pump you can leave it connected, just tied up securely. Then if you run the tractor an hour or so, you can check the oil level in the IP sump and the crankcase to confirm whether or not that was the source. That way you can easily put things back if the lift pump is not the culprit.
Another thing you could do is get some fluorescent die for oil and put in the IP sump. Then after a couple of hours, check to see if it shows up in crankcase.

That is a different pump than mine but the basic structure is similar. They probably all are.

The o-ring I was referring to was on the the actuator shaft where it enters the lift pump body. It was the only thing that separated the fuel in the lift pump from the oil in the IP sump. The lift pump had a gasket on it where it clamped to the IP.

Here are a couple of pictures of my IP with and without the lift pump. You can see where I make a plate to cover the hole in the IP sump with the over flow port just to the left of the plate. The IP governor is in the housing to the right of the plate, it shares oil with the sump.

When the lift pump leaked at the o-ring the fuel just flowed into the sump, diluting the oil and eventually overflowing it. By eliminating the lift pump leak it solved the fuel in the sump problem for a while. Now it is leaking a little and because the lift pump is gone, the leak has to be internal to the IP since the only source of fuel is in the upper end of the IP. Probably wear in the pistons that could be repaired, IF there were a competent shop nearby that would work on it. The only good shops here refuse to work on import stuff and by the time I ship it to someplace I can probably buy a new pump for the same $.

At this time, there is no issue with fuel getting into the engine because I keep the excess drained from the sump so it can not get pressurized and push past the input shaft seal where it could then enter the engine via the timing gear case.
Thanks much for photos. That silver canister looks like it might be block heater maybe. Those suggestions you made about cover plate and leaving pump connected to fuel lines sound great. Also the idea you have about using fluorescent dye in IP sump. Do you just use 4 ounces of engine oil for sump or a different oil. Your “before” picture shows your fuel line connectors to the old lift pump. Mine are the same. Can I ask how you were able to connect fuel lines to new electric fuel pump? Did you have to change the connectors?
Thanks much for your time Mr Piper.