diesel fuel

/ diesel fuel #1  

alpha

Bronze Member
Tractor
Jinma 354
ok I'm gettting a new jinma and never had a diesel engine before. is anything like stabil needed do they get varnish like gas motors? any mix I get now does it need anything to prevent gelling. can alcohol be used to keep water out.

/ diesel fuel #2  
Alpha, your profile doesn't say where you are or how cold you expect it to get. However, your message would indicate you're in cold country. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif So, presumably, the diesel you buy fresh in your area should be blended properly to prevent gelling. You won't have the varnish from diesel like you get with gasoline, but there is a form of algae that can grow in diesel. I think the concensus of opinion is that if you buy fresh diesel and use it right then, you may not need anything. But you'll also find that many of us use an additive to stabilize, preven gelling, etc. There are several on the market, and you'll have to decide for yourself, but a number of us use Power Service year round in our diesel fuel; pretty inexpensive insurance in my opinion.

/ diesel fuel #3  
Kerosene, up to 50%, will keep it from gelling in the winter. Typical mix is 30-50%. There are lots of anti-gel additives out there, too.

DO NOT put alcohol in diesel to control water; it has hardly any solubility at all in diesel. It's barely soluble in gasoline and isn't if there's any significant amount of water in gasoline. If so, you'll end up with a separate water/alcohol phase settling out that won't freeze but won't burn too well either.

I've run diesel cars since 1978 and have NEVER had a water problem. I keep a spare fuel filter in the trunk in case I do. When I replace the filter on the engine, I use the one in the trunk and put the new one back there.

Some tractors have a sediment bowl to decant water. This is the only way to deal with it apart from replacing the filter.

If you get much water, you'll likely to have to drain off diesel from the bottom of the tank until you don't get any more water. If it's cloudy with water, you're better off draining and purging the tank.

Ralph

/ diesel fuel #4  
Ditto the no alcohol! I know my Cummins Dodge owners manual makes that quite clear! Diesel tractors are no different in that respect. Howes products commonly sold at truck stops are good diesel fuel additives also.
DMB

/ diesel fuel #5  
Ditto what Bird said... I use power service products year round in my deisel..

Soundguy

/ diesel fuel
thanks for the advice gonna try it!

/ diesel fuel #7  
I don't know if the initial engine fill of engine oil comes from China, but if it does and it were mine, I would change it after the first hour or two when the oil was hot. I don't know how good a quality oil that they would put into it over there.

/ diesel fuel #8  
You'll want to change your oil out, per the normal break-in period anyway. So, follow Junkman's advice.

It's interesting. The Chinese (and Indians) have perhaps the most waxy crudes in the whole world. Wax makes excellent lube oil, but you can't ever shut the engine down cause the oil will solidify even in the summer time! They take the wax out, but I have no idea what their ad packs look like. Never saw any research reports on testing of Chinese lube oils. Markets there didn't open up good until near the end of my career.

Ralph

/ diesel fuel
Thats for sure and I probebly wont use a synthetic untill it gets broken in better. I know that slick 50 will prevent an engine from break in if used too soon,maybe synthetics too.

/ diesel fuel #10  
Never use Slick 5/forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif As for engine break in using Synthetic /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gifils, many new cars are using them routinely from the start including, but not limited to Mercedes. If it is g /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gifd enough for a Mercedes, it is good enough for my Kub /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gifta or an other c/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gifl/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gifr...