Diesel Gelling - Never Would Have Expected It

/ Diesel Gelling - Never Would Have Expected It #1  

sdk131

Tractor
BX1870-1, 54" MMM, FEL
Yesterday I had a gelling episode on my BX1870. Backed her out of the shed to idle/warm up and she sputtered and died after about a minute. Here's why I never would have expected this:

1. I live in MD, coldest temps since I ran it about a week ago were around 25.
2. There was about 4oz of Power Service White in the tank (and it has been in there since November when I added the PS and about 5 gallons of diesel).
3. 22hours on the tractor (so all filters newer and not neglected)

After swapping out the first filter (pre-fuel pump), adding a dose of PS 911, bleeding at the injectors and allowing it to warm in the sun I got her running again. I then cut open the old fuel filter and found a bunch of waxy goo confirming that in fact had gelled. I'm a bit puzzled by this since I had the PS white in the tank, and the fact that I have been running my car on diesel from the same station. Anyone have any ideas on this? Perhaps there had been some water sloshing around in the tractor tank since new last fall? After doing a little searching it seems like a fair number of people have also had gelling while using PS white. I'm wondering if they changed the product. I'm also wondering if perhaps I had gotten some bad diesel when I filled my 5 gallon can.

I'm now considering adding a racor filter in the spring so that I can drain any water that may make its way into the fuel.

/ Diesel Gelling - Never Would Have Expected It #2  
Wow, that's the lowest number of hours at which I've seen of that problem occurring. I just recently had my BX freeze again, but I realized I hadn't changed the filters in two years. I had just convinced (scolded) myself to change the filters every fall, but that doesn't sound like a sure fix. I guess I'll look at the Racor as well!

/ Diesel Gelling - Never Would Have Expected It #3  
I too have been having gelling problems. Had a BX24 years ago that always sat outside and NEVER had any fuel delivery problems.
With my new BX 25D with 100 or so hours on it I have had the same problems as you although the temps up here have been very low (zero to teens with wind chills going down to -30)

I actually made room for the BX in my garage and installed a block heater. Yesterday I experienced a couple of "blips" in the fuel delivery but I stopped right away and filled the tank and added PS White to the tank. Problem never surfaced again. I have been thinking about the quality of the diesel as well.
I think the BX fuel filters are a major weak link and would like to upgrade to a better system too. Only trouble is I have no fabrication skills or equipment. If someone were to start selling a bolt on kit I would be on the bandwagon in a heartbeat. With snow falling again and an expected snowfall here over the next 2 days being up to 18" I'll be out on the BX quite a bit. Hopefully the fuel problems will be nonexistent.

Good luck !

/ Diesel Gelling - Never Would Have Expected It #4  
Hmmmmm I had jelling about 25 years ago. It was -25F - which is just about as cold as I'll ever see around here. Tractor was half way down the driveway - about 1/2 mile from house. Took generator and wife's hair dryer and in about 30 minuets it was going again. Figured the problem was - I was still running summer diesel.

/ Diesel Gelling - Never Would Have Expected It #5  
You could have used a hair dryer on the fuel filter housing and not have had to replace the filter. Add some kerosene before restarting next time.

Had gelling on an old 220D @ -20F. Just had to let it sit for the heat from the engine block to melt the fuel filter stuff and restart. Did it twice before the engine and filter were warm enough to keep going.

Had icing (think that's what it was) on the Jetta's fuel filter. Just put a bulb next to the fuel filter for about and hour to get it going.

Gel is just congealed fuel that will easily melt if heated. Ice is a separate phase but melts, too. Will cause a miss when water drop hits the injectors.

Now, if your Kubota has one of those silly in-line filters like is on my JD 1025, you'll have to heat it up as well.

Ralph

/ Diesel Gelling - Never Would Have Expected It #6  
I wonder if the fuel you are getting has a high bio-diesel content??? That stuff can turn into mayonnaise below 32 F.

/ Diesel Gelling - Never Would Have Expected It #7  
Are you sure it cold jelled? Was it shiny black colored. Maybe you have bacteria growth, as I have had a few times.

/ Diesel Gelling - Never Would Have Expected It #8  
Do you keep the tank full when not using? I have found that condensation can form in the tank, especially when less than full, and will naturally settle to the bottom of the fuel tank forming a whitish scum in the fuel filter bowl. It would seem odd that it would be gelling at 25 degrees, but half frozen moisture laden fuel can perhaps seem like waxing.

/ Diesel Gelling - Never Would Have Expected It #9  
I had a similar isue last year. The temps were worse. I filled up my 5 gallon can and had a full tank in November waiting for snow to fly. It was like the first or second batch of winterblend diesel from the terminal. The Kubota doesnt run much that time of year unless its snowing. I use the same station for the last 8 years to also fill my Dodge Cummins, never had a gelling problem. Its Jan/Feb and jelled for the first time. I was kind of concerned thinking i had the same fuel in my truck. My truck ran fine, it wasnt the same fuel since i fill up weekly.
Lesson learned, keep up with more current fuel. I only filled the Kubota halfway with the winterblend diesel and only bought 3 gallons in my can. If a month went by and i havent used my can, then I dump the 3 gallons in my truck and bought another fresh 3 gallons. No problems this year and its been cold but hardly any snow, so the Kubota mostly sits.
Around here, when they make a batch of diesel for all these stations, they try to forecast less than a 30 day supply period. So every batch in the winter is made to run at lower temps. 2 or 3 month of old fuel is not the same as todays fuel even with power service in it.

/ Diesel Gelling - Never Would Have Expected It #10  
Bio is anither concern, around here in the summer is fine but not winter.