Oil & Fuel Diesel HP vs Gasoline HP

/ Diesel HP vs Gasoline HP #81  
Soundguy,
You have it right, Older gasoline tractor engines have a better torque curve than newer gasoline engines. My old IH pegs out at about 2,250 and PTO speed is about 1,850. I think this is a similiar pattern of RPM's in older tractor engines.

/ Diesel HP vs Gasoline HP #82  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I have had many, some very high H.P. engines over the years, but have converted to diesel power for my tractors, and the truck that hauls them around, and am convinced that torque not H.P. gets the work done.

DT )</font>

Nicely said. Ditto. Except add the car that hauls me around, too. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Diesel HP vs Gasoline HP #83  
Horsepower is horsepower and it doesn't matter what is creating it gas, diesel or horse. You have to remember that the horsepower is at a particular (high) RPM. If you are not at that RPM, then the power output will be different (usually less). Horsepower = (Torque X RPM)/5250 so you can see that torque and horsepower are directly related. Gearing multiplys torque so if torque input into a 2:1 gearbox is X then the torque at the output shaft is 2X. This is why your car can accelerate better in first gear than second and why a tractor can win a tug of war with a car that has twice the horsepower. If you swapped engines the tractor would still win.

/ Diesel HP vs Gasoline HP #84  
I am saying this knowing and understanding that what I am about to say will make some folks angry and some happy. Like so many before me including myself have said previously. 1 H.P. is 1H.P. it doesn't matter who makes it a horse or human a gas or diesel engine. Everything makes it differently and that is why there are 5 trillion different things/engines/animals that man has used to power things. 1 H.P. is the ability to lift 33000 lbs 1 foot in a minute end of story. Everthing which is able to do this does it in a different manner some are more effiecient and some are less. A diesel engine will have more torque 99.9% of the time if the H.P. is the same as a gas engine because Diesel fuel has more power per gallon! It is as simple as all that. The make different engines to serve different consumer needs. Top fuel dragster could not use a diesel as where it would not be economical for an 80000 pound semi to use a gas engine. But the answer is the same in all cases a H.P. is equivelent no matter what is making it. A mile doesn't change because Tom likes to round up to 6000 ft it is a constant 5280 same as 1H.P. is 1H.P. Like I said some folks will think I am evil or whatever but I think this should end this thread. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif