Diesel pickups?

/ Diesel pickups? #91  
Agree with several posters that you do not need a diesel, but needs and wants are often at odds. If it were me and I wanted a diesel I would look at finding a good clean used one hopefully with lower miles prior to 2007 model year. That said I have a 2003 Duramax that I really like and may never sell. I only use it when I need it and it has 26,000 on the clock now.

Storm I am going to add a bit of advice to your advice you gave. I have a 2006 duramax and I love that. If you are going to look at buying a duramax try to get at least a late model 2004 or newer. Pre 2004 duramax engines had a problem with the fuel injectors. GM increased the warranty on them and you might get one still under that warranty but I would try to avoid the problem all together.

/ Diesel pickups? #92  
Tod i just had to make a comment about your post. I also have a 2006 duramax with allison (note your list of trucks) I had mine about 6 months and I noticed a dent right behind the passenger side real wheelwell. I had it fixed and figured it must have happened while I was in Lowes a few days before. Three months later I noticed a dent in the drivers side exact same position again happened while I was in a parking lot. Must be something to do with other drivers being so jealous of the 2006 duramax that they dont pay attention to what they are doing when they pull out of the parking space.
My two cents:

If you intend on never upgrading to a larger camper or larger tractor you will be fine with a 1/2 ton, but if you plan on upgrading then a 3/4 ton makes more sense. If you go with a 1/2 ton find one with more than a 4 speed auto. An extra gear or two keeps the engine at it's peak power output. I had a 2001 Silverado 4x4 with a 5.3 and 3.73 gears. I liked the truck and it got great mpg when not towing at the design limits. I pulled my TC40 a few times with it. The truck worked well when the terrain was flat but it struggled pulling up the mountains. It was also used to pull a 6,000 lb tow behind camper. The truck struggled to maintain 55MPH on I-81 and in my opinion there was just too much of a gab between 2-3-4 for the engine to operate without pulling 4k on the tach for long periods of time.

The diesel option is worth it if you find a decent deal, but you have to look. Right now is not the time to find decent deals. I bought an 07 Dodge 5.9 back in 2008 when the big 3 were getting ready to close their doors and diesel was over $4 per gallon. I bought my truck with 13k on the odometer and 10k under book from a dealer. My father purchased my Silverado and he upgraded to a larger camper and he found a 2007 Silverado Duramax with the 6spd Allison LT3 for under 30k with 22k miles. I have looked for 2006-2007 Dodge Mega Cab (my quad cab is tight with three kids) and a Crew Cab Duramax during the past year for my growing family, but these trucks are few and far between with premium prices if found (pre-DPF & Urea). The 7.3 Fords with low mileage are also hard to find.

I believe I would look at a newer 3/4 ton with a 6spd auto. There are a lot of diesels parked at my workplace. Here is a list of the following problems encountered:

2003 F350 SRW 4x4 7.3 Lost an injector at 90k (I believe ULSD related) I finally talked the owner into using an additive.
2004 F350 DRW 4x4 6.0 50k it lost a head gasket while pulling a horse trailer
2001 2500 Dodge-lost a fuel pump at 160K
2001 Silverado 2500 LB7-lost an injector covered under warranty
2008 Dodge 3500 6.7-DPF problems, 14-15mpg
2008 F250 6.4-horrible fuel mileage DPF related 14.5 mpg average
2004.5- Dodge 2500 5.9-no problems as of 50k
2007 Dodge 2500 5.9-no problems as of 29k
2005 2500 Duramax no problems 70k-owner did slip tranny with an Edge programmer
2006 F250 6.0-40k no problems
2006 F250 6.0 60K no problems
2006 Duramax with Allison-no problems other than people running into his truck in parking lots.

Gas Trucks
2006 1500 5.3 Silverado-owner pulls a 8lb tow behind camper and admits the truck is a it's limit. I believe he also has a 3.55 rear end. The camper pushed him off the road during a rainstorm when he had to stop suddenly on the interstate. No one was hurt.
2004 2500 6.0 4spd- owner pulls a 8lb camper and gets 7mpg while towing. Not a problem until you pull across state lines and have to stop often. He complains about the lack of extra gears also from 3rd to 4th.
2005 F150 lost it's transmission at 147k miles and routinely pulls a 3k camper.
2007 Titan-rear end problem- The rear limited slip has caused problems and the warning light comes on and stays on if it engages. Don't know what the outcome will be since he hasn't taken it to the dealer yet.
2008 Dodge 1500- 28k no problems but it's a daily driver and never tows

/ Diesel pickups? #93  
John K are you watching this? Are we in the right forum? What is all that crazy talk about diesels!! Well, I for one don't know that I would ever go back to a gas, especially as long as I have my 40' 5'er. I've been exremely happy with my 2003 GMC CC Dually with the Duramax Ally (gotta love EFI live!). I think the original weights mentioned were just because the OP was not familiar with the weight of the 5'ers; my pin weight is more than 3000lbs. All I can say is if you're going to be using a truck to tow with, there is only one good option no matter what the manufacturer; and that's a diesel!

/ Diesel pickups? #94  
Also the RAM has the highest towing capacity of any truck under 26k GCWR which is important for those looking to use the vehicle for commercial use without a CDL.

This has already been discussed at length. That GCWR has absolutely nothing to do with whether or not you need a CDL.

/ Diesel pickups? #95  
If you read on the diesel forums. all the trucks have tranny problems . some more than others. When you start adding programers , drag racing ,etc,etc, your going to have problems. The stock 48RE tranny in my 07 5.9 cummins dodge hasn't given me any problems. The problems I wouldn't want is all the emissions crap added to the new trucks