Diesel pickups?

/ Diesel pickups? #81  
I don't know if it has been mentioned yet since I didn't read all of the comments but I would highly recommend diesel equipped trucks built before 2003 and no Kalifornia trucks...no emissions!!! You really do not want to deal with an EGR, DPF, Cat, etc. on a diesel. If you are looking at a GM be careful of the early Duramax's; injector problems cost me $1200 to do the job my self (I never trust a stealer monkey to work on my vehicle). I can only speak of my 02 Sierra but after 160K miles the injectors were the only problem...not counting broken parts from 3 deer!!!

/ Diesel pickups? #82  
best fix for a auto behind a diesel is sell it and buy a 5/6spd.

/ Diesel pickups? #83  
shooot down here in Missippi I move double wide, 2 story mobile homes with my 1/2 ton chevy. heck we used to use a datsun but the clutch would slip a little.

I love these little friendly discussions between like thinking friends.:laughing:

/ Diesel pickups? #84  
My stock 94 F-350 non-turbo 7.3l diesel was already slipping at 65k miles with that E4OD tranny that is unless the O/D light was blinking causing it to shift hard in limp mode.

How bad is the E40D?

My '88 C6 started leaking fluid at about 6yrs/60,000 miles. It has continued to leak. I put in about a pint of tranny fluid about every 1,000 miles or so. I figure at about $10/pint and $3000 per transmission it's cheaper to leak.

Other than that is seems to be bullet proof.

/ Diesel pickups? #85  
I don't care what JFox is comparing his transmission to. My reply was to your message not his, that's why I quoted it. You still seem to think that the transmission in a 1998 pickup truck should be able to handle the same power that a 3-6 year newer model truck produces. You are still talking about adding around 100HP and 100LB.FT. to a stock transmission from 1998. The 6.0l PSD makes 325hp/570lb.ft. so you are still talking about a 100 hp increase and a 170 lb.ft. increase in tq. Once again, try that on the GM or Ford transmissions from that era and see what happens...

GM already did this in 2001 when they put the 4L80 behind the 8100 big block in the 3500 HD cab and chassis models [88 to 2001 body style with the 19.5 wheels]. These are rated at 340hp and 490 lb ft of torque. IMHO, this was done because the older cabs did not have enough floor clearance to accomadate the allison 1000, and the plant had probably been switched over to the 8100 production from the 7.4 gasser. The two wheel lift wreckers I know of with this setup have not had a trans failure yet, but one is beginning to show signs of wear. Yes the Allison 1000 and Ford torqueshifts are better truck trans. than the 4L80 ever will be.

Dmace, The 47re trans in stock form was crap behind a Cummins or V10 in 1998 and still is in 2010. They can be modified to hold up well, but it is not cheap as some have implied. The only thing that is more of a laugh than somebody stating that a stock 47re is a better trans than an Allison , Torqueshift, or Aisen for that matter is a person who is so blinded by brand loyalty that they would defend that statement in any way, shape, or form.

/ Diesel pickups? #86  
my vote would be for a 12v cummins. gen2 94-97. gen1's had a VE rotary injection pump and were a bit on the weak side. while the gen2's have that beastie of a p7100 better know simply as a Ppump. my 96 has 421k and going strong. its on its second clutch and ive done some mods but in stock form it would pull anything i had on the trailer.

Some of the best advice for someone who wants a reliable, inexpensive diesel pickup.

/ Diesel pickups? #87  
You guys keep talking up your Fords and GMs. Seems most of you only have fairly new ones... nothing that's been around for a while. Must need replacing often.

I'll keep running my two 96 Dodge 4x4 Cummins. Don't think I'll ever wear them out. One's a five speed and the other has the DTT built auto tranny. I live and work them in oil&gas ranch country in northern New Mexico and they don't see a lot of pavement.

/ Diesel pickups? #88  
The auto trans rebuilders said a few years ago that the failure rate for the diesel trucks was like this.
We are talking about the stock autos.
Ford 3.0 failures /100
dodge 3.7
allison 8+

Go to a drag strip and look at the fastest duramax trucks!!!!
Several are running the dodge auto!!!!!!!!!
Ask them why!!!
The allison could not be built to hold the power.
But, our topic is basicly stock trucks, not dedicated drag trucks.

I have my 02 dodge powered up to almost 500 hp at the tires.
I modified the trans myself. It has worked perfect for 166,000 miles. No one else has or will work on it.
just my position on it!!!

/ Diesel pickups? #89  
Go to a drag strip and look at the fastest duramax trucks!!!!
Several are running the dodge auto!!!!!!!!!
Ask them why!!!

I'll keep this in mind for when I start drag racing trucks and hauling tractors with my car. ;)

/ Diesel pickups? #90  
My two cents:

If you intend on never upgrading to a larger camper or larger tractor you will be fine with a 1/2 ton, but if you plan on upgrading then a 3/4 ton makes more sense. If you go with a 1/2 ton find one with more than a 4 speed auto. An extra gear or two keeps the engine at it's peak power output. I had a 2001 Silverado 4x4 with a 5.3 and 3.73 gears. I liked the truck and it got great mpg when not towing at the design limits. I pulled my TC40 a few times with it. The truck worked well when the terrain was flat but it struggled pulling up the mountains. It was also used to pull a 6,000 lb tow behind camper. The truck struggled to maintain 55MPH on I-81 and in my opinion there was just too much of a gab between 2-3-4 for the engine to operate without pulling 4k on the tach for long periods of time.

The diesel option is worth it if you find a decent deal, but you have to look. Right now is not the time to find decent deals. I bought an 07 Dodge 5.9 back in 2008 when the big 3 were getting ready to close their doors and diesel was over $4 per gallon. I bought my truck with 13k on the odometer and 10k under book from a dealer. My father purchased my Silverado and he upgraded to a larger camper and he found a 2007 Silverado Duramax with the 6spd Allison LT3 for under 30k with 22k miles. I have looked for 2006-2007 Dodge Mega Cab (my quad cab is tight with three kids) and a Crew Cab Duramax during the past year for my growing family, but these trucks are few and far between with premium prices if found (pre-DPF & Urea). The 7.3 Fords with low mileage are also hard to find.

I believe I would look at a newer 3/4 ton with a 6spd auto. There are a lot of diesels parked at my workplace. Here is a list of the following problems encountered:

2003 F350 SRW 4x4 7.3 Lost an injector at 90k (I believe ULSD related) I finally talked the owner into using an additive.
2004 F350 DRW 4x4 6.0 50k it lost a head gasket while pulling a horse trailer
2001 2500 Dodge-lost a fuel pump at 160K
2001 Silverado 2500 LB7-lost an injector covered under warranty
2008 Dodge 3500 6.7-DPF problems, 14-15mpg
2008 F250 6.4-horrible fuel mileage DPF related 14.5 mpg average
2004.5- Dodge 2500 5.9-no problems as of 50k
2007 Dodge 2500 5.9-no problems as of 29k
2005 2500 Duramax no problems 70k-owner did slip tranny with an Edge programmer
2006 F250 6.0-40k no problems
2006 F250 6.0 60K no problems
2006 Duramax with Allison-no problems other than people running into his truck in parking lots.

Gas Trucks
2006 1500 5.3 Silverado-owner pulls a 8lb tow behind camper and admits the truck is a it's limit. I believe he also has a 3.55 rear end. The camper pushed him off the road during a rainstorm when he had to stop suddenly on the interstate. No one was hurt.
2004 2500 6.0 4spd- owner pulls a 8lb camper and gets 7mpg while towing. Not a problem until you pull across state lines and have to stop often. He complains about the lack of extra gears also from 3rd to 4th.
2005 F150 lost it's transmission at 147k miles and routinely pulls a 3k camper.
2007 Titan-rear end problem- The rear limited slip has caused problems and the warning light comes on and stays on if it engages. Don't know what the outcome will be since he hasn't taken it to the dealer yet.
2008 Dodge 1500- 28k no problems but it's a daily driver and never tows