Difference between a 8N tractor and a 9N tractor?

/ Difference between a 8N tractor and a 9N tractor? #11  
Hi, I am in the market locally (Houston-ish) for a tractor. I have found two that I am looking at and they look almost the same to me. One is a Ford 9N and the other is a Ford 8N. They both are pretty darned old but they both look good. They both run well (the internet ad says so anyway). One is $1500 and the other one is $1800. What are the differences? Anybody know? They both claim the PTO works. I really want a tractor with a front end loader but its not in the budget unless I can get one in the $4000 dollar range.

Unless that 8N has a Sherman transmission, in low gear the tractor moves too fast for rototilling, if you're interested in that implement.

You also need an overrunning clutch on the pto shaft when you run something like a rotary mower (aka brush hog) on an 8N or 9N ---a $70 item at Tractor Supply.

My neighbor tried to use his 8N with an IH 57 hay baler and no ORC. He got the baler moving OK but when he tried to stop the tractor/baler he twisted the pto shaft into a corkscrew. In addition, it turns out that the 8N in low gear moved too fast and the pickup was feeding too much hay too fast which choked the baler. He borrowed a neighbors JD 2640 which handled the baler with ease.

/ Difference between a 8N tractor and a 9N tractor? #12  
.... 12 volt conversions are usually a bandaid for weak compression.

Perhaps, but not always. My 9N was converted simply because I didn't want to keep looking for 6 volt batteries and I wanted to add lights for snow plowing at night.

/ Difference between a 8N tractor and a 9N tractor? #13  
On the price issue. Around here (Conn and Mass) that would be a very good price. Most go for $2500 to $3000 here.

Andy

/ Difference between a 8N tractor and a 9N tractor?
Thank all of you for the answers and I REALLY do appreciate yalls knowledge

/ Difference between a 8N tractor and a 9N tractor? #15  
"Unless that 8N has a Sherman transmission, in low gear the tractor moves too fast for rototilling, if you're interested in that implement......"

Yes, and yes. The 8n gear range is not good for rototilling and it's reverse gear was intended almost entirely for backing the tractor up as quick as possible. When doing any type of forward/reverse work I am constantly jockeying the throttle between the directions to get the desired power or speed.......it can be a pain.

But, it's all a matter of perspective. If you were looking at a brand new CUT for $20k right off of the dealer's floor then these would be big problems for me..........but, when discussing a 50 year old tractor for $1500 they're not such a problem.

/ Difference between a 8N tractor and a 9N tractor? #16  
FYI

9N = 1939 start production date
2N = 1942 start production date
8N = 1952 start production date

The deal with the left brake on the left is a huge deal breaker. !!!!

Think about this, you want to stop quickly, what do you do? Hit the brake with the right foot and the clutch with the left. What happens? Tractor spins hard to the right as only the right brake is activated!! If you are going too fast, flips-ville. You have to clutch, shift to N, then stomp with both feet at the same time. No such thing as a fast stop with the 2N

jb

/ Difference between a 8N tractor and a 9N tractor? #17  
Hello there, Just sold the trusty 2n, got a little more advice, but these people about covered it. If your looking to brush hog with it; GET A OVERRUNNING CLUTCH!!! not a suggestion here, there only about 75 bucks and they could save your life. It separates the transmission from the pto, allowing you to stop. A 4' hog is much better for your tractor in the thick stuff. A loader will work, I would suggest using a good 3pt counterweight. The steering boxes aren't heavy duty, and the added weight of the loader won't help. There is a great web site called the 9n,8n,2n club. A fella named Dell has talked me through some good questions. A real simple tractor to work on, built for a farmer in his field with a crescent wrench and a screwdriver. good luck, enjoy!

/ Difference between a 8N tractor and a 9N tractor? #18  
the differnce between a 9n and a 8n is 1n aint it?

sorry long day at work, couldnt help my self.

/ Difference between a 8N tractor and a 9N tractor? #19  
FYI

9N = 1939 start production date
2N = 1942 start production date
8N = 1952 start production date

The deal with the left brake on the left is a huge deal breaker. !!!!

Think about this, you want to stop quickly, what do you do? Hit the brake with the right foot and the clutch with the left. What happens? Tractor spins hard to the right as only the right brake is activated!! If you are going too fast, flips-ville. You have to clutch, shift to N, then stomp with both feet at the same time. No such thing as a fast stop with the 2N

jb

Actually the 8N started production in 1947. The later years with side distributors are more desirable but not a deal breaker if it has a front distributor. The thing I would check also is the rear wheels. If the wheels have been filled with calcium and the wheels are rotten it is big bucks. A guy I work with had to get new rear tires and wheels on his 8N just last year and it was almost $1000. Ended up not being such a bargain tractor.

As for the FEL on a N series tractor forget about it. Yes, they will work but if you plan on using it much you need arms like Popeye with no power steering. Also not being 4 wheel drive they are really only good for light work.

Chris

/ Difference between a 8N tractor and a 9N tractor? #20  
Search Craigs lists and Ebay for tractors. I bought mine off ebay, guy was in Cleveland.