Difference between a 8N tractor and a 9N tractor?

/ Difference between a 8N tractor and a 9N tractor?
Also watched the ol man mow with the old BMB mower with no overide clutch.He went through A few fences before he finally bought one.

What exactly is an overide clutch? Where do I get one? Do you have to have one for every implement that is pto driven?

/ Difference between a 8N tractor and a 9N tractor? #32  
An overiding clutch is used on a tractor that has a non live , tranny driven pto.. What happens is that implements that have lots of built up inertia.. like a rough cut rotary mower will act like a flywheel and backfeed power to the transmission, even when the single stage clutch is pushed down.. thus.. you stomp the clutch, and the mower backfeeds the tranny, and rear end.. and you go thru the fence.. etc.

The ORC is a 1-way ratcheting device, and allows the mower to 'overspeed' the pto stub.. IE.. pto stub can stop.. and mower keep going.. this prevents power backfeed.

TSC and other farms stores carry them.

soundguy

An overiding clutch is used on a tractor that has a non live , tranny driven pto..

soundguy

I am new to tractors. How do I know ifin my tractor has a non live, tranny driven pto..? I do not have a manuel for the tractor yet.

1991 Case International 1140 3cyl Mitsubishi, 2wd.

Thanks for your answer by the way.

/ Difference between a 8N tractor and a 9N tractor? #34  
Only info I can find on an 1140 tells me it has an independent pto.

Is that correct? do yuo have to push the clutch to engage your pto?

If not, then no worries.. independent pto is by definition, live.

soundguy

Only info I can find on an 1140 tells me it has an independent pto.

Is that correct? do yuo have to push the clutch to engage your pto?

If not, then no worries.. independent pto is by definition, live.

soundguy

Ok, I went outside and opereated the pto in the rear, I did not have to push in the clutch.

There is a lever just like it, right next to it, that operates the Woods belly mower. I do have to push the clutch in to operate that. Its kinda finicky too. Some times I have to try it a couple of times before it goes in. Is this a pto as well? The deck is belt driven.

Just to be clear, I do not need one of those clutch override thingies because the pto is live?

/ Difference between a 8N tractor and a 9N tractor? #36  
I am guessing you are not going to need one on this tractor. On a N series Ford you would need one. What you really need is the manual. On my Jinma tractor I have what is called a dual stage clutch. I push the clutch in aprox half way and the drive wheels stop and the pto continues to run. If I push in the clutch all the way it stop both the drive wheels and the pto.

Chris

I am guessing you are not going to need one on this tractor. On a N series Ford you would need one. What you really need is the manual. On my Jinma tractor I have what is called a dual stage clutch. I push the clutch in aprox half way and the drive wheels stop and the pto continues to run. If I push in the clutch all the way it stop both the drive wheels and the pto.

Chris

Yes, I do need a manual. Gonna have to search for one.

/ Difference between a 8N tractor and a 9N tractor? #38  
Diamond pilot has live pto via 2-stage clutch.. sounds like you have independent rear pto.. however your 'mid pto' sounds trans driven.

soundguy

/ Difference between a 8N tractor and a 9N tractor? #39  
PITA?

Hey, thanks for the Tractor Supply tip.

You got me on the PITA thing though

It's the bread that real Greek Gyro is wrapped in...:D