Different Trees - Different roots

/ Different Trees - Different roots #11  
pic 2

Attachments

• 520035-MVC-547S.JPG
    520035-MVC-547S.JPG
    96.9 KB · Views: 218
   / Different Trees - Different roots
gugy, I can see where that would definitely be a 2 day job - or more - with a BX-22. Looks like it was made nastier because of another tree adjacent to where you are working.

/ Different Trees - Different roots #16  
Tdog & MMM.... Usually I spread table salt real thick on top of the cut after wetting the surface. That keeps the tree from resprouting and starts the decomposing cycle.

/ Different Trees - Different roots #17  
Poncho, that's one I've got to try! I can get quite a few sacks of salt for the price of a quart of Roundup. Excellent idea!

/ Different Trees - Different roots #18  
Around kansas, we have some stubborn trees with an interesting tap root. They are called Hedge, or Osage Orange. Ive been told that they are in the mulberry family of trees. Mulberry also has a long, long tap root. The Hedge trees arent too difficult to rip out, but I have a technique that works well.
First, I try and push the tree up off the ground about 3-4 feet with my kubota L3130. Then, once Ive loosened it by pushing on it, I hook up the chain and rip her out. Not many trees can stand that kind of extraction around here. Ive only pulled little trees this way, tho, I admit. Usually, Im limited to about a 3 to 4" diameter tree. The bigger ones, I havent figured out how to rip out....any ideas?
dwight

/ Different Trees - Different roots #19  
I have to agree with TK....those hickory are really surprising. I've been doing some clearing of woods over the past yr with a small backhoe. After taking down some pretty large trees, the biggest surprise I got was from a 3 " hickory. I thought I would make quick work of it...but boy did it fool me. It was just all tap root that went to China I believe.

sassafraspete

/ Different Trees - Different roots #20  
Take out feeders before pushing. I usually drop fel bucket abou 3 or 4' from tree and dig up feeder roots, dump dirt , raise bucket 5 or 6' and push tree over all in one stroke. Height I push on tree depends on size as smaller ones will break. Larger/stubborn trees take more feeder removal and pushing. Often the taproot breaks off below ground level. This works on a lot of trees up to 8-10", but gums are really limber and have the thick tap. Ive dug all around them as in above pic and tried to push them over, but they just bend over. Frustrating.