Different Trees - Different roots

/ Different Trees - Different roots #21  
That's a pretty big root ball, but the nice thing is that they don't really have a tap root that goes half a mile down as the pines here do.
The last several I took out had such deep taps that I dug about 6 feet down and still couldn't even wiggle the tap, so I cut off the top 4 feet and covered the remains.
I've seen a lot of people refer to tap roots on Oak trees, but the ones we have here are almost all pretty much surface, but spread as far out as the top canopy that hangs over.
Give me an oak any day. John

/ Different Trees - Different roots #22  
Hello TBN Friends,
I saw this a couple of days ago and since we were removing a black walnut to make way for shed expansion I thought maybe you would like to see a balck walnut uprooted.

It had numerous lateral roots. After we dug and cut some on one side, hooked chain approx 10 feet up the trunk and B2910 pulled until trunk was almost parallel with the ground but looked like stump was not moving. Unhook chain, push opposite direction show some loosening. Took a HEAVY metal box and placed next to trunk to act as fulcrum, hook chain again this time with fulcrum in place it pulled right out. The trunk is 8 inches dia.

Now the next one is a little larger. I'll let you know when/if we get it out.

Attachments

• 521522-Walnut8.jpg
    521522-Walnut8.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 142
   / Different Trees - Different roots #23  
I had BIG an old willow stump and Ive been trying to get it out. I tried your suggestion and took out the feeders the best I could.I dug almost all around it and then after 30 minutes of loosening the soil and making a huge mess, I hooked the chain onto the top and out that stump popped!

Neat feeling to jerk it out. My tractor would BARELY drag it, it was SO heavy.

Thanks for the tips. They worked great!
dwight

/ Different Trees - Different roots #24  
That method actually works much better whith the top of tree still attached to stump. You have the weight of the top to help pukl it on over when you get it started leaning. For stumps it helps to run chain over a large truck rim as fulcrum. Be careful with straight line pulls with chain or cable. A lot of people get hurt by slingshot effect when it breaks. I use a no stretch Kevlar fibre rope that is 10X stronger(1/2"=9t) than cable same diameter.

/ Different Trees - Different roots
MMM, where do you get that rope you use instead of chain?

/ Different Trees - Different roots #26  
I get it from my offshore job when it's taken out of service. The rope is pretty expensive and is marketed in the US under the name Spectron12 by Samson Rope. Might could find it retail at a marine store.