Donald

Mounting to ripper attached.

<font color=blue>Neil from OZ.</font color=blue>

Attachments

• 5-83807-pipelayermount.jpg
    5-83807-pipelayermount.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 171
   / Digging a trench #13  
Very nice, Neil. I'm guessing this is a two-person operation: one person to operate the tractor and one to mind the pipe. Am I correct? Seems obvious...

35-83637-JimIBoomer.jpg

JimI

/ Digging a trench #14  
Jim

I'll answer only if I get some flying lessons. I have 24 hours up and can't afford to go further...............

Yes it is easier with 2 people. I use the second person to stand on the ripper (have a step I bolt on) to get it through the ground easier.

Then when laying the pipe I run it up over my shoulder and the second person just checks to see it is going OK and drags some of the dirts back into the trench.

I have ordered a rear blade so soon the filling of the trench should be easier.

I haven't had this long, and probably don't know how to use it. I have very hard soil here, but would like it to go deeper. I suspect if I ripped the trench several times I'd get the depth but I am lazy and near enough is good enough !!

Cheers

/ Digging a trench #15  
<font color=blue>I'll answer only if I get some flying lessons</font color=blue>

Sorry, Neil. I'm no pilot, I just develop multimedia presentations (groundschools) that tell pilots how their aircraft systems work and explain performance. Of course, if you are ever in Dallas, I could probably arrange for you to get a demo flight in a full motion corporate jet simulator (Learjet, Gulfstream, Hawker, Falcon, etc.)./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Thanks for the info on using your subsoiler/trencher/pipe layer. I'm sure it will get easier with experience. Have you ever tried wetting the ground with a hose before trenching or after you've made the first pass? Do you have the drip type soaker hoses you could lay on the ground and soak the path with water prior to trenching? I don't know if any of these ideas are feasible where you are digging, but it might be worth a try.

35-83637-JimIBoomer.jpg

JimI

/ Digging a trench #16  
Well after all this TBN stuff I am itching to get to the States for a look. Cheap at present too !!

A silulator ride - Well that is just about the clincher in the deal to get me there.

One day.............

I hear that the rippers work better when dry as the soil breaks and shatters into large clumps. I do think that is better otherwise I'd just end up with a muddy trench.

As it was, even going down hill, with someone on the back of the ripper, the drag was sufficient for me to spin the wheels slightly all the way along the trench. So I reckon if it were wet, I'd have all sorts of trouble !!

Cheers

/ Digging a trench #17  
Neil-
It is true that a ripper shatters the clay better if the soil is dry, and this is important if you're trying to break up the hardpan, but trenching will go easier if there is a little more moisture in the soil. You might need to lengthen the top link. If a ripper is pulled at the proper angle, it will self feed, and can actually apply a little "downpressure", increasing traction.

waver.gif
<font color=green>stan</font color=green>

/ Digging a trench #18  
Neil
Great looking pipe layer. I like the fact it's made out of steel and can be bolted on instead of clamped on. I think I'll make one just like it (but just a little longer pipe on the top side so I can go deeper) if you don't mind me stealing your idea. Best one I've seen.

Jerry

/ Digging a trench #19  
Stan

yes I hear the length of the toplink has a great effect. Just not sure which way to adjust it. When on top of the ground, the ripper tooth points down at say a 45 degree angle. As the ripper gets deeper, the angle changes (I think??)

Jerry - OK you stone my idea. I bought it like that so you are stealing someone elses idea. Don't think the length of pipe would matter and theoreticaly there is no soil in the trench after the ripper has gone through. Don't go too long, as even with poly pipe, it isn't real flexible and you end up with it up in the air before it bends over.

I suspect that those middle busters etc. would remove more soil. The ripper just breaks it up.

/ Digging a trench #20  
<font color=blue>length of the toplink has a great effect. Just not sure which way to adjust it</font color=blue>

The longer the top link, the shallower it will go and the shorter the top link, the deeper it'll go./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

BirdSig.jpg